Tuesday, June 2

The Secret Hiding Place


When the bank is overdrawn and bills pile up…
When kids are sick and doctors’ visits are out of the question…
When relationships fall apart and bring heartache…

…know where I run to hide when all these trials and hurts enter my life with a vengeance? As a child running to the security of its father’s lap, I run right into the shelter of God’s presence, His secret hiding place.

David knew this hiding place so well and wrote of it many times. In the Psalms, he said to God, “Hide me under the shadow of Your wings,” (Ps. 17:8 NKJV). “I shall live forever in Your tabernacle; oh, to be safe beneath the shelter of Your wings!” (Ps. 61:4 TLB)

This reminds me of a story I heard someone tell. It happened years ago when a massive fire overwhelmed the Grand Teton National Park. Afterwards, as several men walked through the ashes, one man saw a charred bird and gently moved it with his foot, only to find, beneath the mother, three living baby birds, all of which immediately hopped off. The mother had protected her precious ones under her wings, bringing them deliverance from the fire, for she gave up her life that they might live to take flight.

God’s overshadowing Presence is the same for us, covering us with His wings of protection and rescuing us from the fires of hell through the exchange of Jesus’ death that we might live to have eternal life.

Psalm 91 is a beautiful example of that secret hiding place in the Lord. Verse 1 says, "He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." God's secret shelter is like a feathered retreat, a nested refuge. In the first part of verse 4, it says, "With His feathers he will cover you, and under His wings you shall seek refuge." When defined, the meaning of this verse is much richer.

If we reworded it according to its definitions, it might read like this, “Like a mother hen, He will lay the feathers of His wings over you, and cover you with His mantle of protection when you flee to Him for refuge in hope and trust; He will overshadow you, defend you, hedge you in, and stop the approach of the enemy.” How great is that!

As David so aptly put it, “And in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, until these calamities have passed by.” (Ps. 57:1 NKJV)

When trials overwhelm you, in what do you take refuge? Where do you hide?

Prayer: Lord, when the waves of life’s circumstances attempt to overwhelm me, I know I can run to You and You will welcome me with open arms, covering me with Your mantle of protection and care. I pray that all those who need to feel Your feathered retreat will do so today. Amen.

~Blessings…Lynn~~
22 Responses
  1. We sometimes think we're asking too much of God when we run to Him, but He wants nothing more.


  2. I'm in total agreement! Praise God for HIS mighty wings of protection.


  3. Unknown Says:

    I'm so thankful for God's wings of protection. Sometimes when I'm really scared about something, I picture myself with my head on his lap, laying by his side like I used to do with my mother. She would stroke my hair and reassure me. I love thinking of God reasurring me in this sweet way.


  4. Sheila Deeth Says:

    What a beautiful image of God's protection. Thanks.


  5. Sylvia Says:

    Lynn - that's just beautiful. What a place of safety and security and joy it is. Thank you for writing it so clearly. When we know that place, we never want to be anywhere else.


  6. Lynn that was beautiful. Thank you.


  7. Sarah Bolme Says:

    Lynn, I awarded you the Lovely Blog Award on my blog today. To learn more visit http://marketingchristianbooks.wordpress.com.


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Amen, Diane! If we remember how much we love for our child or grandchild to climb up in our lap just to be near us, we should remember that God loves it even more! Be blessed, sweet one!


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Kimberly, You are such a faithful reader. You always make my heart so happy! Bless you!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Sharon! That is so precious. I hadn't thought of that. You are so right. My mom did the same thing. Thank you for triggering that memory! Bless you!


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Sheila! I so appreciate your faithfulness to follow my blog. Bless you!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, precious Sylvia! You are so right. Thank you for your sweet comment. You so bless me! Blessings to you...


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Laura, Thank you so much for taking time to read and comment. You touch my heart. Blessings to you!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, my, Sarah! I am overwhelmed. You are such a sweetheart to honor me with that award. Thank you so much! Bless you!


  15. Anonymous Says:

    Great post Lynn! I think it's important for me to remember that the action in this Psalm needs to be taken by me. I need to run to Him, I need to dwell in Him, I need to seek His refuge. I need to be constantly moving toward a relationship with Him. Thanks for his reminder.

    Nicole

    http://nicolenwick.wordpress.com


  16. What a beautiful image your post brings to mind! We all need a secret place to retreat at times, and those no place better to turn than to God.


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    You're so right, Nicole! Thank you so much for taking time to read and comment. You so bless me. Blessings to you...


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, my sweet friend Connie! You are such a precious follower. You always make my heart happy! Blessings to you...


  19. David Edward Says:

    hoping all is well with you and your computer. My son is due to put a new hard drive in mine soon to avoid just such an event.... wonderful post on wings


  20. Alan Says:

    God is good ... all the time
    All the time ... God is good


  21. Rita Gerlach Says:

    Thank you, Lynn. Your post lifted me up with the gentle reminder that God loves us.

    Blessings,
    Rita

    Homepage: http://ritagerlach.com/

    Reviews: http://surrenderthewindromance.blogspot.com/

    Inspire / The Musings of a Historical Fiction Writer: http://inspire-writer.blogspot.com/

    Stepping Stones Magazine for Writers: http://steppingstonesforwriters.blogspot.com/


  22. I just got to read this..You sent me the link on Facebook. Thank you!! When I feel like I just need to hide..I find refuge in His Word. It is what truly brings me hope and brings me out of dispair. Thanks for this posting..I love the mother bird making the sacrifice..