Wednesday, November 11

Set Apart

I have another honor today of bringing you an interview with Jennifer Kennedy Dean, author of the new book Set Apart: A 6 Week Study of the Beatitudes. At the end of this post, leave a comment if you would like to be entered for a drawing to win the following items from Jennifer:

*A Set Apart Leader’s Kit (video and leader resources and a student book) retail $79.99
*A copy of Fueled by Faith (retail $19.99)
*Jennifer will have a live web event just for your group

* If you are a leader (small groups, book club, Bible Study, Women's Ministry), please note that you are--you will automatically be entered in the contest.
* If you are a member of one of these groups at your church or community, mention that you are a group member.

This is what has been said of this study…

Set Apart is a Bible Study that will challenge readers to grow in their walk and commitment to Christ. This workbook style text dissects both the Ten Commandments and The Beatitudes while providing deeper understanding of the correlation of both passages of scripture. Holiness, prayer, and obedience are the major themes of living this SET APART life.

We were made for holiness, and this core concept of the Beatitudes is accessed through a praying life—a life lived in the present-tense power of God. It is only when we continually pursue holiness that blessedness comes, and we discover the power and fulfillment of the promise of God.

Here’s Jennifer…

You are known for your extensive research and your fresh insights. Do you have a method for gleaning new concepts?


Of course, the truths are not new, but I think I sometimes am able to frame old truths in new ways. I always find that when I put the words of Jesus into their original Hebraic setting and experience the scene through the viewpoint of His real-time audience, some new little fragment of truth finds its way into my thinking.

I like to let the Scripture breathe. To let it sit in my heart until its full aroma has time to emerge. There’s the hard-core research, and then there’s the marinating. Turn your imagination loose and unfurl your curiosity, and listen to the living Word.

You have a series of Bible studies in the format of Set Apart, designed to be interactive. This series of studies has video series and leader's kits available. What is the advantage to this kind of format?

I try to produce a new Bible study with video series every year. I like the interactive format because I like to pull the reader into the scripture to experience the Word. I like to challenge the reader to interact with the thoughts and ideas and to take the time to absorb them and apply them, rather than just to read.

The other thing I like about this format is that it can be done by an individual, or as a group. In the video series, I like to be able to teach the main points of the material and set the learners up for a productive week of personal study. I love feeling like I get to be part of your Bible study group! The kits have lots of other resources for leading a small group in the study.

Several of your studies have theme songs that go with them, as Set Apart does. How do these songs come about?

I have developed a song-writing relationship with a talented musician named Roxanne Lingle. I write poems, we turn them into lyrics, Roxanne composes and arranges the music, and Roxanne records the songs.

For Set Apart, we have the theme song in the form of a music video, which is a new addition. In the leader’s kit, you have the audio track, accompaniment track, lead sheet, and the music video. The theme song becomes an important and worshipful part of the study experience.

Each chapter includes interactive questions for readers to answer, emphasizing God’s desire to reproduce the character and attitudes of Jesus in each Christian’s life. Along with the Bible study book, there is a Leader Kit that includes six DVD sessions and a CD with bonus material for small-group leaders.

If Jennifer has peaked your interest, you can find Set Apart and her other books at…

*Praying Life Foundation
*New Hope Publishers

You can also find Jennifer at her website www.prayinglife.org



Share/Save/Bookmark
5 Responses
  1. Lynn, I love Jennifer Kennedy Dean and have read several of her books and done some studies. I loved her books on prayer.

    I've led several Bible studies for women. I am interested in this series "Set Apart". However, I am not in a leadership position in our women's ministry at my church.

    BTW, I'm hanging in there with the Lord's help. Things continue to be rough but I'm learning so much through this time of trust; one moment at a time though.

    Hugs and love,
    Debbie


  2. Wow! This sounds like an answer to prayer. I lead 2 women's Bible studies, one in my neighborhood (ongoing for 15 years) and one at church (that is seasonal - one in the fall and one in the spring for a set # of weeks). We have tackled various topics, but Set Apart sounds ideal for both groups! We have been praying for God's direction on what to study next.

    I am a Jewish believer, and I didn't fully understand what it meant to be Jewish until I became a Christian (30 years ago). I recently have felt the Lord leading me to get deeper into the Hebrew language. I took Hebrew lessons at 12 years old, but don't remember anything.

    Thanks Lynn, for your excellent posts. I always appreciate your wonderful insights. (And I'm still plugging away at my WIP on our identity in Christ, including my Bride chapter) :)

    Susan


  3. Good morning, Lynn.

    Thanks for this introduction to Jennifer Kennedy Dean. I participate in a weekly group called "The Church at Anna's House." Please enter me into the drawing.

    Be blessed,

    Lynnda


  4. Donna Says:

    My husband and I lead our Sunday School small group...would love to have a copy to look over...such a great topic for every Christian, old and new!


  5. Lynn, I would love to be entered in the contest -- that is if someone can win twice. :) Hope you're having a great week and feeling fine. You are one busy lady; I respect you so much. Thanks for this opportunity. Grace and peace.