Thursday, November 4

A Change of Seasons


“And He changes the times and the seasons.”

(Dan. 2:21 NKJV)

This time of year, the heat and humidity of the summer season is, hopefully, becoming a welcomed memory and cool breezes and the beauty of the reds, golds, and oranges of fall begin to emerge. Don’t we all love it when the seasons change?

But what about our lives? Do we accept the seasons of spiritual change prompted by the circumstances in our lives? Do we see any beauty emerge from the myriad trials and afflictions that assault us? If “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven” (Eccl. 3:1 NIV), how do we view the changes?

Where can the most beautiful vistas be viewed? From atop the summit of the tallest mountain, after the most strenuous climb.

Which valleys have the richest, green velvet pastures with the fullest spikes of wildflower colors? Those that have withstood the greatest drenching rains.

What forests produce the most prolific new growth? Those that have suffered the hot, searing flames of destruction.

Which diamonds sparkle the most brilliantly? Those that have felt the cleaving of the jeweler’s sharp chisel and the friction of the polishing wheel.

An old Chinese proverb says, “The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.”

Just as all of nature suffers contrary conditions in order to be expanded, improved, or strengthened, so, too, do we. Difficulties and trials will always be a part of our lives. We cannot separate ourselves from them. And if we ponder it closely, we realize we will not grow as Christians if trials do not come to test and enlarge us that our greater beauty might emerge.

If we try to wiggle out of these times, we force premature deliverance, frustrating God’s plan. It is like prying open a cocoon before the caterpillar has finished its metamorphosis into a butterfly. Forcing open the cocoon too soon will render the caterpillar deformed for the rest of its short lifespan.

When we manipulate the hands of the clock to align with our own agenda, we destroy the beauty that God desires to emerge from His timing. Through our own efforts to “help” God out with our deliverance, do we come out of our cocoon of circumstance too early and spiritually deformed in some way? Or do we wait for the revealed transformation by God’s hand?

Is our cocoon of circumstance not intended, as for the butterfly, to deepen our richest colors and give us wings of flight, beautifying our character for a new season in life, all which we may not have had before the trial? While in that cocoon of circumstance, we “are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory.” (2 Cor. 3:18 NIV)

God knows the worth, the power, and the beauty hidden deep within our hearts and only that which is contrary to our comfort releases the precious qualities within us. As Paul said, “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.” (Rom 8:18 NKJV)

God will work out all our circumstances for our benefit, from one spiritual season to the next, when we fully commit them and ourselves to Him, His Word, and His timing.

After experiencing a cocoon of contrary circumstance, are you able to say as David, “My troubles turned out all for the best”? (Ps. 119:71 Msg)

“And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them.” (Rom. 8:28 NLT)

From one season to the next…“being transformed into the same image from glory to glory.” (2 Cor. 3:18 NKJV)

Share/Save/Bookmark

26 Responses
  1. Tracy Krauss Says:

    Lovely post! thanks


  2. Kristen Says:

    Wonderful post. Exactly what I needed to read during this season. thanks


  3. Ouch. I recognize me here in these words. I tend to want to "help" God, trying to push through seasons at my own pace.

    Thank you for your thoughtful perspective.


  4. "cocoon of contrary circumstance"

    Love this image. Almost like there's comfort because we know we'll morph into something beautiful.


  5. Ernest Says:

    Lynne,

    thanks for a post, which gives us cause for reflection on the use and purpose that God wills us to use our time.

    Trials as you rightly say, help to shape, form and to transform us in the image of Christ, who suffered for us, but gloriously rose again to give us the gift of new life in him.

    So, suffering and trails need to be borne, although they are hard, painful and debilitating, the only way through them is to keep the Cross in our sight and mind - then they become bearable.

    November is traditionally All Saints and All Souls, and remembrance for those who have died in wars - it can be a sombre time, but springing out is the Feast of Christ the King to remind us that nothing is lost, nothing is for nothing. All paths lead to him.

    Wonderful thought.


  6. Rachel Says:

    Love the analogy. It's something I've been thinking a lot about lately. How would we really grow with out the trials? Without the afflictions to point out that our thinking is off and that we are walking in ways not in line with God's?

    Trials and afflictions are there for us to grow and learn from. They are grow spurts if seek God's counsel and instruction then walk in it. As we learn His ways and submit to them, creating unity between Him and us, then we come through them at a much different place, a much better place, than when we entered them.

    Rachel


  7. Great post Lynn, thanks for sharing your thoughts on seasons... I recognize the struggle you describe, why do we think we can fight seasonal changes??? They're natural and part of God's design...


  8. Amen Lynn. I couldn't have said it better. Praise the LORD.


  9. Beautiful post with wonderful descriptions, imagery and comparisons, Lynn! Thank you for sharing the inspiration, and also for highlighting Animal Sound Mix-up! Blessings to you!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Tracy, Thank you so much for dropping by and commenting. I'm honored to have you. Be blessed!


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Kristen! Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm so happy it was a timely piece for you. Blessings to you!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, dear Jennifer! So glad to see you here. Yeah, we usually try to help God, don't we? I think I'm going to put up a sign, "Hands off!" LOL Blessings to you!


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks, my sweet Sandra! You're the peachiest! Love you!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Ernest, What a wonderful comment. Such great truths! Thanks so much for commenting. I appreciate it so much! Bless you!


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Amen, amen, amen, Rachel! Thanks so much for your thoughts. I'm honored you stopped by. Blessings to you!


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, my sweet friend Marja! You'd think we would learn, wouldn't you? LOL Blessings to you!


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Kimberly! So glad to see you hear. Hope you're recovery is complete! Be blessed!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, sweet Connie! Thank so much for dropping by. Always makes me happy to see you! Blessings to you!


  19. MTJ Says:

    Hi Lynn,

    I have been pondering this topic as well. I agree that circumventing time in order to navigate myself through a circumstance will sabotage the intended spiritual growth. What I realize is that, even in doing this, I invariably find myself back at this place again; the beginning of my spiritual trial. I make no real progress until I have gone through my trial. I'm told by scripture to "Let patience have its perfect work" (in me).

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. Blessings and peace.

    MTJ


  20. Patti Hanan Says:

    Lynn, I loved the analogy of the cocoon. I have been guilty of trying to help God along. I like the reminder that God's timing is for a purpose.
    Love you!


  21. lynnmosher Says:

    You're so right, MTJ. We stand in our own way and block the very thing we desire of God. Thanks so much. Appreciate your comment. Blessings to you!


  22. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, sweet Patti. I always appreciate your kind words. Makes me happy! Bless you!


  23. Great post Lynn! Living in north Florida doesn't afford us much of a change of season - but just coming home from North Carolina gave us a glimpse of changing seasons.
    I am very aware of "changes" and seasons in life. My hubby is newly retired, we're empty-nesters, and my work situation has been evolving. God definitely uses it all for growing us & maturing us. Thanks for pointing out so many signs of change and evolving as believers. We must embrace those times of sanctification and growth in our faith.


  24. Anonymous Says:

    Lynn,

    I love this post! I think seasons of change are so hard for women, because many of us are such planners and we want control of our situations. But, like you say, we should embrace these changes and trust God is doing something beautiful!

    Also, I wanted to thank you for your BEAUTIFUL article for Sanctified Together Publication! You really are a gifted writer.

    blessings to ya,
    alisa


  25. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Deborah! I always appreciate hearing from you, sweetie! Blessings to you!


  26. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much for dropping by, Alisa! I so appreciate your kind words. You make my heart happy. And you are so welcome. It is my honor that you have accepted my articles. I love doing this for my Beloved Lord! Bless you!