Sunday, October 23

A Shared Heartbeat


As I listened the other day to FoxNews, I heard the most precious story of a couple married for 72 years. By now, you’ve probably heard about them. But I just couldn’t help writing about them.

Gordon Yeager proposed to his sweetheart the day before Norma graduated from high school. They were married the next day, the day she graduated, May 26, 1939.

They were always by each other’s side. Each saying they had to “stick around” for the other. They truly enjoyed being together, even though they had their arguments.

On October 12, 2011, Norma and Gordon suffered extensive injuries in a car accident. They were rushed to the hospital and put in ICU. The hospital workers knew not to separate them and pushed their beds together. They held hands even after the morphine took affect and they became unresponsive.

The injuries were more than their bodies could withstand or recover from and at 3:38 p.m., Gordon died.

The son noticed that his father had stopped breathing but his heart had continued to register on the heart monitor. Confused, he asked the nurse about it.

She told him that because the two were holding hands, Gordon’s machine was picking up Norma’s heartbeat...her heart was beating through him.

Exactly one hour later, at 4:38 p.m., Norma died.

Hand in hand in life; hand in hand in death.

Sharing one casket, they held hands. After cremation, their ashes were mixed together.

Such a sweet love story. They had their ups and downs but always wanted to be with each other.

The one thing that blew me away was...her heartbeat beating through him. One heartbeat beating as two. One heartbeat of a living one beating through one dead to this world.

Isn’t that what the Lord wants for us? To be dead to this world yet have His heart beating within us? To be connected to Him throughout life, walking hand in hand. And in death, still holding His hand.



Share/Save/Bookmark
21 Responses
  1. Jackie Says:

    This is the sweetest post I have ever read!!! How tenderly sweet.Thank you for sharing!
    God Bless
    Jackie


  2. I hadn't heard the story, so thank you for sharing their beautiful story of love, life and death. Tears in my eyes...


  3. This is a beautiful story. One can only hope....

    b

    http://www.retireinstyleblog.com


  4. Wow, I didn't know this was possible. What a story.
    Yes, I want the Lord to hold my hand, all the way!


  5. The science behind this alone is interesting. But the connection to how Jesus can live in and through us is spectacular.


  6. Joan Hall Says:

    Lynn:

    I read about this couple and was so amazed at the heart monitor picking up her heartbeat. This is a beautiful love story.

    I like what you said the Lord wanting the same for us.

    Blessings,
    joan


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Jackie! I take no credit for it. They really wrote the story. Thanks for sharing it! Bless you!


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    So touching, isn't it, Debra? And so sweet. Thank you!


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    B...thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. So happy to have you visit. I appreciate it! Bless you!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    I know, Marja! I didn't know it was possible either. So awesome! Thanks, sweetie! Bless you!


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    The science part is extremely interesting, isn't it, Carol? And you're right, the Jesus connection is spectacular! Thank you! Blessings to you!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Joan, for visiting and commenting. Love seeing you! Makes my heart happy! Bless you!


  13. I had heard the story over the weekend, but I only heard parts of it. I had missed out on the part of his monitor picking up her heartbeat. What an application to our spiritual lives! What a blessing! Thanks for sharing, Lynn.


  14. Walk Says:

    Even though I recieve your posts via email, I had to come here and comment. After all the years that I've been reading and being blessed by your posts, this may be my favorite. Walking hand in hand with Beautiful now will have a double meaning in both the physical and now the spiritual for I know I'm not only holding her hand but my Lord Jesus' also.


  15. chris Says:

    thanks for sharing this amazing story Lynn!


  16. Such a powerful love story! Thanks for sharing your profound thoughts on how our Lord Jesus holds us in His mighty hand & never lets go! We are His heartbeat to a dying world... :)


  17. Erin Says:

    I love this story. How amazing love can be when we stick it out through the good, the bad and the ugly. What a testament their love is to the God designed institution of marriage!
    Blessings,
    ~Erin


  18. Teresa Says:

    Beautiful post! I shared it with others via email, as I am a subscriber and it blessed so many people...perspectives change when you read stories like this...for the little things in life that cause to be bothered, and then reading that truly 'til death did they part, holding hands, walking one another from this life into the next life in eternity! Wow...what a way to go. Thank you for your beautifully written post!


  19. That is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing, Lynn!


  20. Wonderful! I think of my wife and I walking hand in hand through the mall or in the garden and just love the image of walking hand in hand to glory.

    Our Lord is our heartbeat. I pray that I can have the faith like Paul who said, "If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord."

    Thank you, Lynn!


  21. My husband read that to me right after it happened. We want an enduring love like that - made me think of how marriage unites us into one:)What an awesome inheritance for their children!