Wednesday, January 25

Runaway Wagon!


I love old westerns, especially those filmed in black and white. (I think I’ve mentioned that before!) I grew up on them. I watched one the other day that was 75 years old. Yeah, I know, I’m old! But not that old, yet!

In a typical old western storyline, the female lead is headed for town, riding peacefully in her buckboard, when something spooks the horses and they bolt, giving her a wild, bumpy ride which she cannot control.

Not too far off in the distance sits the hero upon his mighty steed. Hearing her screams for help, he gives his mustang a swift kick with his spurs and bolts off to rescue her. As the horse gallops alongside the runaway wagon, he jumps in and grabs the reins, yanking them under control.

She is so relieved to relinquish the reins and have someone else bring the situation under restraint that she gushes with thanks.

Makes me think of us as Christians. How often do we ride along peacefully in life when, suddenly, we encounter a startling and overwhelming situation? Something happens to jolt our smooth-going wagon of life onto a bumpy, runaway course and we can’t control it.

In our cries for help, our Hero, the One called “Faithful and True” (Rev. 19:11), our Savior on His mighty, white steed, comes galloping alongside us. If we surrender the reins of the situation to the Lord and allow Him to take over, He will bring it under control in His own way and in His own time.

No matter how a circumstance looks to us, God is always in control, especially when we surrender to Him.

This is my prayer; is it yours? “I entrust my spirit into Your hand. Rescue me, Lord, for You are a faithful God.” (Ps. 31:5 NLT)

May all your wagon rides be under control!



Share/Save/Bookmark
9 Responses
  1. I love that the Father is our hero, always arriving just in time!


  2. Loved this post, Lynn--God's got the reins. I like thinking about being a wagon for others, too--helping them get where they want to go and helping them carry their burdens to Jesus.


  3. Lynn,
    I SO needed this post today! I love how you FB messaged me and mentioned the whole 'warp-speed' thing. That's exactly how I feel. But in the midst of it, my Father has carried me and rescued me.

    But this post echoed my heart and I'm so thankful that you shared it today! Desperately needed it!

    Love you!


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Yay! Me, too, Maryleigh! Me, too! Thanks, sweetie! I so appreciate you! Bless you!


  5. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Carol. And I love your thought of being a wagon for others. Great idea! Bless you!


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    That so makes me happy, Stephie-girl! So very happy! Glad it was meaningful to you. Love you!


  7. Great analogy Lynn! Those old westerns had suspense, lots of action, and a rough-n-tough hero who always knew what to do in a crisis. Yep - that's our Heavenly Hero - donning a crisp ten-gallon hat & scarf - with the big shiny star on His chest! :)


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Love that comment, Deborah! Thanks so much, sweetie! Bless you!


  9. Yes, Lynn, we do need to let go of the reins, and get out of the driver's seat. We don't know enough, and can't see far enough ahead to make the right choices. We need His leading. I love your analogy with the old westerns. The Good Guy always won! And, He will too!