Monday, February 27

Ooh...Did I Say That?


I love the old Andy Griffith Show. A gentler time...then.

In one of the first season episodes with the new regular star Elinor Donahue, Ellie, Andy, Opie, and Aunt Bee are enjoying a picnic out in the woods. Opie and Aunt Bee decide to go for a walk, while Ellie cleans up and Andy lies back on the blanket, covering himself with the local newspaper.

An article catches Ellie’s eye: those running for city council. Ellie wonders why there are no women running. She gets huffy trying to defend womanhood as Andy tells her she’s taking it too personal.

“That’s a silly attitude!” he tells her.

“Silly?” she retorts.

“Ooh...ooh...I didn’t mean to say that. No, I didn’t mean to say that a bit. It just slipped right out of my mouth. Here, give it right back to me. (pretends to put it back in his mouth) (slurp!) It’s back. And it had a ba-a-a-ad taste. A whole lot of times, we do things and say things even though deep down we know they’re just plain silly.”

Ellie glares at him.

“Ooh, did that bad tastin’ word slip out again?”

How often do we let those bad tastin’ words slip out of our mouths?

Sometimes, we speak negatively, spewing out empty, worthless words, like death, fear, doubt, unbelief, defeat, hate, depression, and discouragement when we should be speaking Life-giving words, like peace, faith, hope, love, encouragement, and blessings?

Jesus said, “On the day of judgment men will have to give account for every idle (inoperative, nonworking) word they speak…Your words now reflect your fate then: either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned.” (Matt. 12:36 Amp, Matt. 12:37 TLB)

Whew! That’s a lot to think about!

He also said, “Whatever is in the heart overflows into speech.” (Luke 6:45b TLB)

What overflows your heart into speech? Do you have to say, “Ooh...did I say that?”




Linking up with...





Share/Save/Bookmark
13 Responses
  1. Terra Says:

    Those bad tasting words, that sounds like a sweet episode.


  2. chris Says:

    Ha! Good reminder today Lynn, thank you :-)


  3. I remember that show! Oh, those were the days. I don't even watch television anymore as it is just not the same.
    I pray the words coming out of my mouth are always sweet, remembering to use my ears before my mouth and engage my brain first:)


  4. I think everyone has said things they later regret. I know I have. But, I am sure trying to think before I speak!


  5. This is the area God is pointing me to big time lately. It's so painful, not only stuffing the words back in but keeping them inside in the first place.

    Thank you, Miss Lynn.


  6. Denise Says:

    Thanks for this post, made me smile, and also think. Bless you.


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Loved that episode, Terra! Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting. Always love to see you here! Blessings to you!


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Chris! I so appreciate your comment. Bless you!


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    You're so right, Kristin. Those were the days. I love watching all the retro stations. Not much of the new that I like either. Thanks again for stopping by. You're a peach! Bless you!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    You said it, Ceci! We've all let those *silly* words escape our mouths. I'm glad I've learned a little better to keep it in me! You always make my heart happy. Bless you!


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Yeah, it is difficult to keep those nasty words boarded up! Thanks so much, Carol, for stopping by. I love to see you! Bless you!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Denise, I'm so happy to have you visit. Thank you so much for commenting. I really appreciate it. Blessings to you!


  13. This is a great reminder to be careful what we say. The wrong words can slip out so easily, and we need to try to always say positive and encouraging things to each other. Thank you for all the inspiring and encouraging words you share through your posts, Lynn!