Sunday, July 20

Stepping Out in Faith

God sometimes requires me to do something that appears to have obstacles and seems beyond my power to accomplish. The situation lurks before me as a rushing river, barring me from the new territory of promise on the other side.

Just recently, the Lord presented me with one of these challenges and nudged me to step out into new areas of my life. This is always uncomfortable for me, because I am a shy and reserved person. However, over the years, with the Lord’s help, I have improved.

He does not part the waters of any barrier until I take that first step forward, as the priests did at the river Jordan, “As soon as the priests who carried the ark reached the Jordan and their feet touched the water’s edge, the water from upstream stopped flowing. It piled up in a heap.” (Josh. 3:15-16a NIV)

When I hesitate, standing on the river bank, I find no comfort or peace. Only when I dare to push on in faith into that rushing river and cross over to the other side does God make His power and resources available on my behalf.

When a rushing-river circumstance exists between you and a command of God, what do you do? Do you stick with what is safe, remaining on the banks of the river, or do you step out in faith, putting your foot in the waters?

If we never take a chance and forge ahead in faith, the writer of Hebrews tells us that “without faith it is impossible to please God.” (Heb 11:6 NIV)

Lord, may I always be found pleasing You with complete faith in You.
0 Responses