Monday, June 22

Going Down to the Creek


Long before dry cleaners and spot removers, spin cycles and fabric softeners, clothes had to be washed by hand. When the dirt and grim of labor disguised their true colors, clothes needed to be washed.

The women who lived by a river or creek took their families’ laundry down to the water’s edge to pound out the dirt on the rocks. As they walked the worn path, and as they scrubbed their clothes, they would converse with one another, sharing the loads of their lives as they shared their loads of laundry.

After a discussion with a dear friend about a difficult circumstance in her life, she told her husband of our conversation. He said it had been a good idea that we talked about the problem together. It reminded him of days gone by when the women went down to the creek to wash their clothes and commune with one another.

Paul exhorts us to “Share each other’s troubles and problems, and in this way obey the law of Christ.” (Gal. 6:2 NLT) When you share your burden with another, scripture says, “That will make your load lighter, because they will share it with you.” (Ex. 18:22b NIV)

Is there one with whom you can walk alongside when he or she is in a circumstance of conflict, to share their load, to put a loving arm around them, to offer them a shoulder on which to cry, to speak the right words or say nothing at all? Are you a fellow creek-goer in someone else’s life?

My friend thanked me for “going down to the creek” with her. The next morning during her quiet time with the Lord, she told Him she wanted to go down to the creek and wash out a few things with Him.

So, what about you? Do you have one with whom you can go down to the creek, making your load lighter? If you do not have a fellow creek-goer in your life, the Lord will always be that friend to you, to walk the path with you down to the creek to share your heavy load or to help you wash the dirt out of a few things.

Do you have a worn path to the water, where you go to wash away the accumulated dirt of life that has disguised your true color?

Prayer: Lord, may I often be found down at the creek, being cleansed of all that hinders my relationship with You, while also lightening the load of another as we meet You there.

~~Blessings, Lynn~~
22 Responses
  1. Father God, thank You for being my fellow creek-goer. No other can stand in Your place. In Jesus' name, amen.


  2. Anonymous Says:
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  3. Thanks for the good reminder, Lynn. I'm good at talking to God - not so good at laying my burdens out for other people to see.


  4. Lorrie Says:

    I love this Lynn. Makes me feel relaxed to think of time at the water's edge.

    Blessings :-)


  5. lynnmosher Says:

    Kimberly, You are so right. No one can take the Lord's place. I'm always touched that you take time to be a faithful reader. Bless you!


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, sweet Lynnette! I'm pretty much like you...keeping things to myself. Bless you for stopping by and commenting.


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Lorrie, my friend! Thank you so much. I'm so glad to see you. I pray all is going well with you. Bless you!


  8. Unknown Says:

    This is a beautiful post. I felt cleansed just reading it. I look forward to walking that worn path more often and being cleansed and refreshed in the Lord.


  9. Sylvia Says:

    Thank you for that post Lynn. Like you, my first "creek friend" is the Lord and He's there with me on the walk to the creek but is there waiting when I get there with nothing else on His mind.

    Bless you Lynn


  10. Oh Lynn, this is beautiful! How easily we forget the feelings of the people around us. We truly do need each other.


  11. Gigi Says:

    Isn't it wonderful how Christians minds think? As I was reading this I began thinking of the many times I have been cleansed by the grace of God. We are washed in the blood of the lamb and are encouraged to radiate the love of God to others.

    How wonderful it is to have someone go down to the creek with us. I think the water of our creek flowed from Twitter. I'm so glad I found you!

    When we are on our knees in prayer and humility before our loving Heavenly Father we are made anew.

    Thanks once again for sharing your thoughts and wisdom. Until we meet again...keep praying and believing! Love and Prayers, Gigi


  12. Unknown Says:

    This is just a great reminder! Thank you!!!


  13. Marsha Says:

    Oh Lynn! I LOVE this! Such a beautiful analogy! We all need trusted creek going women in our lives.


  14. Walk Says:

    There was a creek behind my home while growing up that I went to quite often, sometimes with friends, sometimes alone. Thinking back on it now, those times alone when my thoughts were heard only by God, were some of the best of times. Thanks for reminding me of that. Now, I gotta go find a creek.


  15. UKViewer Says:

    Lynne,

    It is a little like the Beatles Song, "You will Never Walk Alone"

    Walking the path, daily through life with Jesus is the only path to walk and you will never be alone.


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Shanchere, What an awesome comment! I'm so blessed by it. Thank you so much. Blessings to you!


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    Sweet Sylvia, He's the best creek-goer, isn't He? Thank you very much for reading and commenting. You make my heart happy. Blessings to you!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Betty, Yes, we certainly do. I deeply appreciate your comment. You bless me. Blessings to you!


  19. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks for your sweet comment, Gigi. I'm so happy we met also. I deeply appreciate your friendship. Blessings!


  20. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Liberty! Thank you so much. So glad to have you here. Bless you for your comment. Be blessed!


  21. Karen Says:

    What a wonderful post. While I certainly enjoy having some of our modern conveniences, sometimes maybe we miss out on some community because we've gotten to such a place where everyone seems too busy to just sit and chat over a cup of coffee much like they might have done back years ago when they did the laundry or sat on the front porch on a hot summer's day drinking ice cold tea.

    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    Karen


  22. Jack Brown Says:

    beautiful post....God bless you Lynne