Saturday, March 20

Guest post: Lucy Ann Moll, biblical counselor


I am so happy to bring you a post on and by Lucy Ann Moll, biblical counselor, speaker, author and radio show host. He-e-e-re's, Lucy!

Do you have a Scripture that speaks your heart and defines God’s purpose for your life?

I do. It’s this:

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.” (2 Corinthians 1:3-4 NIV).

One word is used four times in these verses. What is it?

Comfort? You got it!

The reason this verse speaks to me: I’ve known trouble.

Depression. Check.
Panic attacks. Check.
Sexual abuse. Check.
Mentally ill parent. Check.
Dysfunctional home. Check.
Infertility. Check.
Addiction. Check. (For me, people-pleasing.)
A history of family alcoholism. Check.
Lived in a broken home? Check. (My parents divorced, remarried each other and divorced again.)
Recurring negative thoughts. Check. Check. Check.

There’s more, of course.

But the best thing is that God comforted me in all my troubles, just as He promises in the verse. Now that I’ve received comfort, I give comfort.

He spoke His purpose into my life and called me to counsel hurting Christian women. I’d like to tell you more about it because when I meet women at churches where I speak or visit, I see pain and broken hearts. God gave me a commission to bind up the injured “sheep.”

Q: Lucy, what type of counseling do you provide?

A: I counsel according to the truths of the Bible. It’s sometimes called biblical counseling or pastoral counseling or soul care. As a counselor friend says, biblical counseling is not “here’s two verses and call me in the morning.” It’s comprehensive.
Q: What do you mean by comprehensive?

A: I really get to know the women I counsel – their struggles, their hopes, where they’ve been and where they hope to go. I listen and give clear direction. Homework, too. I also use a Personal Data Inventory. This helps me know many things, including a need for a doctor’s visit.

Q: What’s your stance on medication?

A: I’m open to the use of medication prescribed by a medical doctor.

Q: Do you meet with your counselees in person or over the phone?

A: Both. Some I meet face-to-face, but I counsel most of my clients over the phone. It’s amazing. With the explosion of technology, women who do not have a biblical counselor in their area can still receive hope and healing through Jesus. I’ve met many of my counselees through Twitter and by word of mouth from other folks on Twitter and Facebook.

Q: Lucy, what are the advantages to phone counseling?

A: It’s cheaper. This is a big deal in today’s tight economy. Counseling by phone also is convenient. The counselee doesn’t have to drive to an office. It also offers greater anonymity. Some women who’d feel awkward or fearful to make a face-to-face appointment are very willing to share over the phone. Several of my clients have told me this.

Q: What are the disadvantages to phone counseling?

A: The main one is I cannot read my clients’ nonverbal communication. This has yet to be a major problem to helping hurting Christian women find hope and healing. I offer to meet by webcam.

Q: Why can you offer hope and healing despite this disadvantage?

A: I truly believe it’s the power of the Holy Spirit. Before, during and after every phone meeting, I pray for the woman and for me. I pray that the Holy Spirit shows each of us what He desires. This is what He does, every time. It’s amazing.

Q: What training do you have?

A: I graduated from Western Seminary, Portand, Ore., with a diploma in pastoral care for women. In addition, I have taken courses from the National Association of Nouthetic Counselors. I am not a state-licensed counselor, however.

Q: Why haven’t you sought licensure?

A: Two reasons. First, I looked into programs at the university in a neighboring town; I’d have to learn atheistic Freudian concepts and counsel by them in my training. I won’t compromise my religious beliefs. Second, the United States holds the position of "separation of church and state." My state requires that a person performing a religious function come under a religious adjudicatory body that can attest to that person's qualifications. In this case my church fulfills this role.

Q: If a woman is interested in finding out more, what should she do?

A: Check out my website and go to the e-counseling page. My website is www.LucyAnnMoll.com. Or email me: Lucy@LucyAnnMoll.com.

Q: Do you have any other words for hurting Christian women?

A: Get help. Jesus wants to heal you. You may feel alone or full of guilt and shame – maybe you’re scared what people would think if they knew the real you. God knows the real you, and He loves you just as you are.

In the Gospel of Luke, Jesus said the most amazing and wonderful thing. Reading the words of the prophet Isaiah, he said, “The Spirit of the Lord is on Me, because he has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” (Luke 4:18-19 NIV)

Then, he rolled up the scroll, sat down, and stated: “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.” (Luke 4:20 NIV) Wow.

Are you poor, imprisoned, disabled, or oppressed by life’s troubles?

Hope has come: Jesus.



Share/Save/Bookmark
4 Responses
  1. Wonderful interview! I love that Lucy does phone counseling. And that 2 Corinthians scripture is very dear to my heart!

    Thanks, Lucy. Thanks, Lynn.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Great interview. Lucy, do you help women who have no income? What if they cannot afford your counseling fees?


  3. Hi Anonymous,

    In answer to your question, I have counseled women who have limited or no income.

    This is why I added a "donate" button my website. http://lucyannmoll.com Funds in this Blessing Fund are used to offset the counseling costs of women who cannot afford it.

    Women -- or men -- who have a little extra income can make donations, whatever the size, to the Blessing Fund. (A picture of the Acts 2 church in action!)

    When someone, like you, asks for help, I get more info from you on the financial need and go from there.

    Feel free to contact me, Anonymous. Jesus knows your needs and will move His Church to help you.

    Blessings, Lucy

    P.S. My email is Lucy@LucyAnnMoll.com


  4. I love, love, love that verse. It always reminds me that my circumstances and experiences are not just about me but about bringing God glory through being able to comfort others in similar situations!