Monday, October 25

Overcome Evil with Good


Today is the last of the Romans series. I have thoroughly enjoyed having these guests participate in the series and I hope you have, too. I want to thank each and every one for adding their special touch to the posts.

This post is written by another cyber-friend Wanda Winter-Gutierrez. Please stop by her site, The Journey by Wanda. http://thejourneybywanda.blogspot.com/ 

“Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.” (Rom. 12:21 NKJV)

When Lynn asked me if I wanted to blog on Romans 12, I chose the 21st verse, “Do not be overcome with evil but overcome evil with good.” I have been a Christian for 50 plus years and have learned a few things and have a pile more things to learn, but one thing I know for sure is that Romans 12:21 is easier read than practiced.

As a recovered, emotionally abused woman, I have faced one of my greatest challenges, which is being kind to unkind people. Along with that, I have had to learn to stop allowing others’ moods, actions, and words to control my actions. I am a work in progress.

There is a little fable about a kind, old sage who waded into the river everyday and prayed. One day in the midst of his loving prayers, he saw a poisonous spider struggling in the water and cupped his hands to carry it ashore. As he placed the spider on the ground, it stung him. Unknowingly, his prayers diluted the poison.

The next day, the same thing happened. On the third day, the kind man was knee deep, and sure enough, there was the spider, legs frantic in the water. As the man went to lift the creature yet again, the spider said, “Can’t you see that I will sting you every time, because that is what I do? Why do you keep lifting me?” And the kind man cupped his hands under the spider, replying, “Because this is what I do.”

What I am learning is that, when we go through transitions (death/illness/pain/divorce/abuse/being deceived, etc.), we have a choice to allow the situation to use us...or we can use the situation to get deeper into God’s perfect will for our lives and, at long last, be the person He created us to be.

My goal is to spend enough time in the Word that I know exactly what I will do, no matter what they do. The Bible calls it “purity of heart.” It is my choice. As long as I am on this earth, I will know or be in relationships with people just like me who carry baggage in their wounded souls. They are capable of very unkind things. My choice is to re-act out of my own woundedness...or respond from a place of peace to do and say the right thing.

The Message Bible interprets this scripture like this, “Don’t let evil get the best of you: get the best of evil by doing good.”

NOTE TO SELF: Regardless of how others act, I will do what I do...and let God handle them and the poison they try to inflict. I no longer want to just act kind...I want to be predictably kind. I choose. It is my decision.

                                                                         
Share/Save/Bookmark
6 Responses
  1. Thanks Wanda for a great post and a very inspiring story, I love it!!
    Thanks Lynn for doing this series and sharing your blog time with so many. I hope you were inspired too!


  2. Wanda,
    Great story for illustration. Love the Message Bible passage! It's a choice how we react to evil, and yes, God's Word is our only arsenal to combat the demonic hordes that use others to assail us. Thanks for sharing your wisdom on this passage.
    God bless...


  3. MTJ Says:

    Hi Wanda/Lynn,

    As I read this post, the word which kept echoing in my mind was, choice; as a follower of Christ, I have a choice about the kind of man I will be in this life.

    I can respond, tit for tat to every offense (actual and perceived), or I can respond with grace, forgiveness and love. I agree with you Wanda, the application of the more excellent way is easier said, but all things are possible to him who believes. I get to choose.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ


  4. Wanda G Says:

    Thanks everyone...appreciate the feedback...and Lynn...you are a blessing to me..Love You! Wanda


  5. Glory to God Says:

    Wanda / Lynn -

    As I was reading this, your comment, "My choice is to re-act out of my own woundedness...or respond from a place of peace to do and say the right thing" caught my attention. I need to evaluate my heart and my responses.

    My wife has a good saying. She says, " that we all have a cup. What's in it shows when our cup gets bumped. Will it be the good that comes from the Holy Spirit as we're filled by the Spirit or is it the ugly stuff when we're not walking close with God?"

    Great post! God bless!


  6. Wanda G Says:

    Thanks Dean...appreciate your comment..and you have a very wise wife! (: Blessings, Wanda G