Thursday, May 5

A Peculiar Mom


“I’m peculiar.”

If she said it once, she said it a million times.

That was my mom.

For a number of years, my sister and her son lived with our mom. Mom was always full of grace, class, and love. And, by today’s standards, she would be considered old-fashioned.

My nephew always lovingly told her she was “weird”! Her response? “I’m not weird; I’m peculiar!”

However, she wasn’t peculiar at all. She was a woman of faith and great strength. Though understandably shaken after my dad died suddenly on my birthday in 1996, her strength bolstered her to continue living.

She was not a fashionista. She could not have cared less about being “in fashion,” yet she was always well dressed. She hadn’t changed her hairstyle in maybe fifty years but it was always perfectly combed.

Everyone who knew her thought she was a true lady. Mom was known for her life in Christ. The qualities of generosity and caring were her distinguishing characteristics. Though she suffered with arthritis, back and breathing problems, and years of pain from a severe twisted ankle and a broken hip, she rarely complained.

Yet, she was peculiar, for she was scripturally correct. She was God’s treasured possession, as Exodus 19:5a says, “Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people.” (KJV) Other versions define it as special treasure, treasured possession, or something similar.

God separated His people to be a peculiar bunch, to make known His Name, and to be a glory to Him among all people. And that was Mom.

Mom died two days before her eighty-fourth birthday in 2008.

Unfortunately, not every child is blessed to have a godly mother. Some mothers are negative, abusive, cold, or uncaring. Some even abandon their children, either by addictions, absence, or giving them up for adoption. Many adverse circumstances shape a mother’s life and contribute to her behavior.

Maybe you had or have a mom that behaved badly toward you, abandoned you, or did not fulfill all you needed from her. Maybe she was or is the farthest thing from the example of a godly mother.

Scripture says, “Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you.” (Deut. 5:16a NKJV) I know, in some cases this is extremely difficult to do, but this verse comes with a promise. The rest of it says, “...that your days may be long, and that it may be well with you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you.” This not only applied to God’s people Israel but applies to us today as well.

If your mom is still alive, honor her this Mother’s Day. Love her. Hug her. If she has hurt you, forgive her; you might just see a change in her. God gave you life through her for a reason. Praise Him for that.

Oh, how I miss my Peculiar Mom. I wish I could tell her once more that I love her and give her one of those bear hugs she loved so much. She was my heritage, my Mother’s Day gift...the greatest gift she ever gave me besides physical life.

Don’t miss out on telling your mom that you love her. You never know when it might be your last time to tell her.

If you do not have a godly heritage from your mother, be the first to start it for your future family. Live out your life as one whose heart if filled with the love of God.

I pray that you become that Peculiar Mom.



This post is part of FaithBarista's Jamwithme Thursdays.



FaithBarista_FreshJamBadgeG




Share/Save/Bookmark
26 Responses
  1. My dear friend, Lynn

    I always love reading your posts that give us a glimpse into your own life story. Quite honestly, this Mother's Day for me has been a little harder than past years. Perhaps because I am getting closer to that forgiveness part you talked about in your post. To be able to say out loud without any fears of judgment or shame, " I missed out on the love of two mothers," has been a defining moment for me.

    For those of us who weren't as blessed as you to have that mom "full of grace, class, and love" your gift of sensitivity and gentleness for others speaks volumes about how truly special your mother was in your life.

    Love always,

    JoAnne


  2. Beautiful testimony to an amazing woman. You were very lucky, indeed, Lynn.

    I am proud to say that my mother is also peculiar. Her faith in God is amazing. I've seen miracles granted through her unceasing prayers.

    God bless you on this Mother's Day.


  3. I do understand this feeling, I would love to hug my peculiar Mom again. This post describes my Mom also.


  4. What a beautiful lady. Brought tears to my eyes. I still have Mom, but lost a beautiful Aunt last year who was like a second mom to me. She was proud of her "peculiarity" also. She's "dancing with Jesus now"--one of her favorite sayings. Thanks, Lynn.


  5. Dawn Wilson Says:

    What a precious tribute. I loved reading about your mother, Lynn. No doubt she is a big part of the woman you have become. Thanks for sharing.


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, JoAnne! That brings me to tears. How sweet you are. As a matter of fact, you were one of those I had in mind when I wrote. I was going to tell you. I thought about you through the whole thing. I know what a peculiar mom you have become to your children. Blessings to you, my sweet friend!


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Ceci. You touch my heart. I'm so glad you had a peculiar mom also. And yes, I know about those answered prayers. Happy Mother's Day to you!


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, Kim! I'm so glad you had one, too. Blessings to you, sweetie, for a great Mother's Day!


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Betty. She was a beautiful lady. I'm so sorry about your aunt. So glad she was peculiar, too, and now dancing with Jesus. May you have a wonderful Mother's Day!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, thank you, dear Dawn. Yes, I am what I am mainly because of Mom. Glad you stopped by. Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day.


  11. What a lovely post. It brought tears to my eyes and what a precious picture of the two of you. My mom and her grandchildren, when they were young, used to say we were all weird :) I like the word peculiar better :)
    Have a Happy Mother's Day!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Kristin! You make my heart happy! That photo is my very favorite! When my comes home for a visit, I hope to do one like it with her. Hope you have a great Mother's Day!


  13. Caroline Says:

    I agree with other commenters here... this is a beautiful testimony and tribute. Thank you sharing your heart.


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Caroline, thank you so much, sweetie, for visiting and commenting. I so appreciate it. Blessings to you! And happy Mother's Day!


  15. Bonnie Says:

    Lynn, this post touched my heart. My mom passed into Heaven back in 2004. Died in her sleep. I miss her so much, but it has been a blessing to know that we left nothing unsaid. We didn't have any ongoing issues between us, and our last visit was precious.

    Thanks for such a beautiful Mother's Day tribute. Your mom and mine are probably chatting it up - both were a little peculiar in their own right. :)


  16. Fliterary Says:

    Such a sweet post, Lynn. Thank you for sharing a testimony of her inward and outward beauty.

    Gentle hugs to you,
    Lisa


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Lisa. I'm so glad you dropped by. Blessings to you for a great Mother's Day!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Bonnie, Mom died in her sleep also. I had always prayed that we would find her body in her favorite chair or in her bed. And we did. I'm so grateful she never suffered. Thank you so much for reading and commenting. Blessings to you. And I hope you have a great Mother's Day!


  19. Lyn ~ Your beautiful mom certainly explains why you're such a beautiful woman...inside and out!

    So glad she left a legacy of "peculiarness" for you to follow!

    What a sweet legacy!


  20. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, thank you so much, dear Stephanie! That means a lot to me. Bless you! I hope you have an awesome Mother's Day!


  21. Lovely, Lynn. You are a blessing to so many as well, that probably comes from your peculiar Mom's love and lessons. -Annie Jones


  22. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, sweet Annie, I'm so honored you dropped by! Thank you so much for your generous words. You've blessed me. Blessings to you and may you have a great Mother's Day!


  23. Linda Says:

    Love this! My mom's been gone many years and I miss her still. I was blessed to have a mom full of love. Another great post!


  24. lynnmosher Says:

    Linda, I'm sorry your mom is no longer with you also. Hugs for your Mother's Day. Hope you're enjoying it. Blessings to you and thank you!


  25. Bonnie Gray Says:

    Dear Lynne, I was SO excited when I saw your post shared in the faith barista jam! What a GEM that Exodus "peculiar" treasure of a verse. I am going to print that and meditate on it this week. It encourages me in my motherhood. I'm at the beginning of the road with two boys 2 and 5, and I do feel peculiar at times! :) What an honoring post for your mother!


  26. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, sweet Bonnie! Our paths haven't crossed in quite a while. Hope all is well with you. So glad you liked my post and that verse. Thanks so much for stopping by. Blessings to you! :D