Sunday, November 6

When the Winds Blow, Which Way Do You Lean?


Have you ever seen a Divi Divi tree? That’s one in the photo. It is almost a national symbol on the Caribbean islands of Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao.

As an evergreen, the Divi Divi trees have inconspicuous but fragrant blossoms. The trees’ pods, wood, and leaves have several uses. Though slow growing, they are capable of growing to 50 feet tall but will almost always be bent at a 45 degree angle due to the constant-blowing trade winds.

Because of this, the trees bend and point to the west, as the winds blow from the east. In Aruba, lost tourists are told to use the trees as a compass.

Some say the Divi Divis are bent over because of leaning into the wind; others say they are bent over because of leaning away from the wind. Either way, the trees have adapted to the winds and grow in spite of them. Their twisted Medusa-like trunks and roots will grow in rich clay soil as well as the sand.

I love these trees! I love how God speaks to us through nature. Maybe we should consider growing like the Divi Divis.

When the winds of adversity blow, do we bend because of the blasting currents, or do we lean along with the challenges? If we lean with the trials, we will never be blown over as long as we are rooted solidly in the Lord. We will still have our fragrant blossoms and always point the way to our Savior, being a compass for others to find their way.

Though we will have the winds of temptation, loss, distress, or others beating against us, we can adapt, persevere, and survive, no matter what the situation.

“Then they will be called Trees of Goodness, trees planted by the LORD to show His greatness.” (Isa. 61:3 New Century Version)



Share/Save/Bookmark
17 Responses
  1. Fliterary Says:

    Love this post, Lynn!

    May my only bend be toward my Savior, my roots driven deep in His word and love, while leaning into His grace and guidance!


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    Ooo...awesome words! Wish I'd said that! LOL Thanks, sweetie!


  3. Love the post Lynn! To me, the twisting trunk represents how our will and God's Will ultimately intertwine when we as believers bend and surrender to Him. What a powerful word truth you shared with us Lynn! :)

    Come visit me and read about Zacchaeus.


  4. Love this, Lynn. *Obviously* Divi is short for "Divine" -- because the tree leans toward THE Divine One. [smile]


  5. Aye, I love this post Lynn, great analogy and a beautiful picture. Made me think...


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Another great thought! Love that, Deborah! Thanks, sweetie, for your comment!


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Love how your mind works, Carol! Love that! Thanks so much for commenting!


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks, dear Marja! I love those trees. They are so interesting...and thought provoking!


  9. Duane Scott Says:

    I have always wanted to see one of these trees, but now I want to even worse!

    Beautiful words, Lynn. :)


  10. Lynn, I love these words: "If we lean with the trials, we will never be blown over as long as we are rooted solidly in the Lord. We will still have our fragrant blossoms and always point the way to our Savior, being a compass for others to find their way." I'm watching that beautiful bending as my dear friend navigates the loss of her husband, holding fast to her Heavenly Father, radiant faith evident in all she says and does.


  11. My father is a self made naturalist, a logger who loves trees. He taught my sister and I how to tell the different species found in the Pacific Northwest and to love all things of nature, particularly trees. The first thing I ever drew was a tree.

    I love your analogy, Lynn. Not only interesting and informative, but thought provoking as well. I loved it.


  12. Dave Moore Says:

    Beautiful! Jesus made it so simple "Follow Me"


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Sorry I'm late in answering these last comments. Still trying to recover from being sick.


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Duane, I am s-o-o-o tickled to see you here! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. Makes me very happy! Bless you!


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Cindee, praying your friend is not "blown over" by her winds of adversity. Praying she recover in time. May the Lord bless her with peace and comfort. And thank you so much for your comment. Bless you!


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    That is so cool about your father, Ceci! How wonderful he taught you about a part of nature. Thank you for being such a support to me! Bless you!


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    Dave, I am so honored to have you visit. Thank you so much for taking time to read and comment. Blessings to you!