Thursday, February 9

Hulio! Hulio! Hulio!


Ever have a day like this?

The kids are fighting and yelling.
Your husband is late for dinner, again.
You just found out your best friend spread rumors about you.
The phone rings and so does the front doorbell;
you answer the phone and it’s the electric company about to turn off your electricity because you forgot to pay the bill.
The guy at the door is there to repossess your car!
Oh, you also forgot it’s your mother’s birthday
and one of the kids has a school project due tomorrow!

Ever just want to throw your hands up in the air and scream, “I surrender”?

I love the old M*A*S*H series, which takes place during the Korean War in the early 1950s (if you’ve never seen the show). I watched one episode the other day where Hawkeye and BJ (doctors) drove to get a supply of penicillin. On their way back to camp, they wreck the jeep, so they start walking.

A lone, enemy soldier appears and bows to the ground before them. Mystified, the two doctors keep walking. However, not ready to give up his efforts, the man picks up his trusty rifle, points it at them, and starts spouting something they do not understand.

He then drops the rifle and throws his arms up in the air, waving his hands, and yells, “Hulio, hulio, hulio!” (Well, that’s what it sounded it.) In essence, he said, “I surrender! I surrender! I surrender!”

That’s my new hand signal now: arms thrust in the air, yelling, Hulio!

When you have one of those days, when everything comes at you at once, do you ever feel like doing the same thing, screaming, “I surrender”?

But who or what are we surrendering to? Our circumstances? Certainly not the enemy! And we can’t surrender to ourselves. So what is left? We surrender to the Lord. Which should be the action we take in the first place!

When a multitude of voices scream for your attention, when so many scheduled duties clamor for you to perform them all at once, when chaos invades your space, and you want to pull out your hair, then throw up your hands and yell, Hulio, hulio, hulio!

Tell the Lord, I surrender! As the old hymn says...

I surrender all,
I surrender all;
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

Surrender it all, and when you do, peace will flow like a river...

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Is it well with your soul on those harried days? As David said, “He has redeemed my soul in peace from the battle that was against me.” (Ps. 55:18 NKJV)

I love The Message’s take on Matthew 11:28-30, “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to Me. Get away with Me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with Me and work with Me-watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with Me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

Wow! Learn to live freely and lightly! Does that resonate with you like it does me?

The Lord says, “Only in returning to Me and resting in Me will you be saved. In quietness and confidence is your strength.” (Isa. 30:15 NLT)

Circumstances may still be the same. But you? If you have surrendered it all to the Lord, you will know peace and bring a calming influence to all you do and to all those around you. You will live freely. Lightly. In quietness. With confidence as your strength.

I have hulio-ed!

Ah! Peace. Like a river. It is well with my soul. Living freely and lightly. How about you?



Share/Save/Bookmark
14 Responses
  1. Linda Yezak Says:

    I love this! We sang that song in church recently--or at least everyone else did. It's hard for me to sing while I'm crying, and I was crying big-time while I relinquished something to him I'd been holding on to.

    With so much going on these days, I have to live in a state of constant surrender!

    Thanks for the post.

    Love you!


  2. Great post! Too often we give God control, but then yank it back before He can do anything with it, afraid He isn't working fast enough or that He isn't working at all.

    Surrender means to give up. Completely. And surrender ALL to Him. Then let go. That's the hard part though, isn't it?

    But if we give in and let go, He can mend what's broken in our lives.


  3. Fliterary Says:

    Wonderful post, Lynn. The more I surrender the more I can walk in freedom. I want to go through life with my arms raised in surrender to THE One who loves me best and has the best plans. Surrender = joy and freedom!!

    Love and hugs to you, sweet Lynn!


  4. Lynn,

    Hulio! Love it. Great post, as always. I loved M*A*S*H too. Thanks for the reminder to surrender daily.

    BIG blessings,
    Lucy


  5. lynnmosher Says:

    You so sparked the beginning of this post, Linda! Yeah, I can't sing and cry either. I know the feeling. May your days be filled with calm and peace! Bless you!


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Such a great comment, Lorna! We do that, don't we? We love to yank back what we've given to God to take care of. Thanks so much, sweetie, for your comment! Blessings to you!


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    You're so right, Lisa! Walking in a permanent arms raised is essential, isn't it? Always love hearing from you, sweet one! Bless you!


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Miss Flucy! Thanks so much for stopping by. And I noticed I did M.A.S.H wrong, didn't I? Changed it! Thanks for that. So glad to see you. Appreciate your comment. Bless you!


  9. I loved your reference to that episode. Perfect example. Sometimes we have to KEEP surrendering.


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Amen, Carol! Would love to have an *easy* button for that! LOL


  11. It wasn't until a few years ago that I thought I truly could ever reach the end of myself - but then I did. I guess we all have things that are just too hard to handle at some point - and I surrendered - every last inch of what was within me. Surrendered because my love and my determination couldn't do the job. Only He could!

    Your post really hit a mark within me:)a humbling place grace-filled!


  12. Lynn, this was so timely. Jus this morning I realized how full my life was with busyness, and it was time to re-evaluate my priorities and get my life back in balance, with God holding the scale.

    My husband and I love the M*A*S*H series. Amid the laughs were hidden some nuggets of wisdom.

    Love your post, Lynn, as always.


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Amen! Amen, Maryleigh! I always love your comments. Great depth in such a small space! Thank you, thank you! Bless you!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Ceci, I'm so glad to know this touched you. That so blesses me. Thank you for your kind words, sweetie! Bless you!