Saturday, July 14

What Do You Dance On?



 Have you ever done the chicken dance at a wedding reception?

If so, you got out on that special foundation installed just for dancing. You scheduled time just to be there. No, not to do the chicken dance but to attend the wedding and reception. Why? To share in the joyous occasion of celebrating the marriage, right? You made time to celebrate.

What inspires and excites us to praise the Lord and dance before Him? Do we wait for special occasions, or do we schedule time to celebrate our relationship with our Beloved Bridegroom? And on what do we dance? The fragile fabrication the world offers or the firm foundation God gives us?

Christ is our Rock, our Foundation; therefore, our hearts rejoice and dance on that firm footing of faith in Him and the truths in God’s Word.

There are times for dancing, times for celebrating, as the author of Ecclesiastes tells us, “A time to laugh...A time to dance.” (Eccl. 3:4 TLB) Oh, we love to dance when there’s a good reason to celebrate, like times of triumph and happiness.

We love to “trip the light fantastic,” as the saying goes. We frolic light-footed and graceful on the peak of gaiety, but what about those other times in our lives, those times when our hearts suffer the pangs of trials and heartaches?

As the Bible says, there is also “A time to weep...A time to mourn.” (Eccl. 3:4 NKJV) But sometimes in our mourning, rather than pirouetting in twirls of glee that the Lord is with us, we spiral down into a valley of gloominess and our dancing feet feel like they are made of lead weights.

In those times of heartache, God will revive us, just as He told Israel through Jeremiah, “I will rebuild you...You will again be happy and dance merrily with your tambourines.” (Jer. 31:4 NLT)

In one of those times in David’s life, he rejoiced in the Lord, “You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness.” (Ps. 30:11 NKJV)

Another time, he said, “But let righteous people rejoice. Let them celebrate in God’s presence. Let them overflow with joy.” (Ps. 68:3 GW)

Do you set aside other activities and schedule time to be in the Lord’s presence to praise Him and celebrate with Him? Do you enjoy dancing with your Beloved Bridegroom?

Just think: when we get to heaven, we’ll dance with Him on that eternal foundation, those streets of gold. There’s a song our church loves to sing called We Will Dance. It always gives me goosebumps. If you’ve never heard it, I hope you’ll listen to it.

Sing a song of celebration, lift up a shout of praise
For the Bridegroom will come the glorious one...



 
We will dance on the streets that are golden,
The glorious bride and the great Son of man;
From ev’ry tongue and tribe and nation
We’ll join in the song of the Lamb.
 
Bride, your Bridegroom waits to dance with you!


* Today, I celebrate, with my hubby, our 46 th wedding anniversary. Thank you, my dear sweet one, for every year. I love you!

** This post is part of the monthly Christianwriters.com blog chain. This month’s topic is celebrate. Please check out the other great posts in the right sidebar.

Share/Save/Bookmark
38 Responses
  1. Cathy Says:

    Oh what a day that will be to dance in the arms of our Lord!

    Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby!


  2. I've never been a great dancer - but at His wedding feast I don't think I'll need to worry about that! I always picture King David in my mind - whirling and dancing before the Lord with all his might! That's what we'll be doing.
    Great song - I've heard it before.
    I especially love that line... "We will join in the song of the Lamb".
    I'm sure it will be sweeter than any song we've ever heard before...


  3. lynnmosher Says:

    Cathy, I am so honored to have you visit. Thank you so much for your comment and for the anniversary wish. Blessings to you!


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Won't it be the most indescribably awesome thing ever, Deborah? That's one of my favorite lines in the song also. Thanks so much, sweetie, for visiting! Appreciate you! Bless you!


  5. Anonymous Says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.

  6. Gigi Says:
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  7. Gigi Says:

    Lynn, little Ballerina Girl stopping by because the title definitely got my attention. This was a beautiful entry and I'm smiling at the very thought of dancing in Heaven; to be rejoicing around the throne with the King of Kings and to possibly dance once more with my sweet Brannigan. He makes all things beautiful in His time (Eccl. 3:11). My personal quote: "You can take the dancer out of the ballroom but you can't take the love of ♫ and dance out of the dancer."

    Go to YouTube and listen to "Dancing In Heaven" by Jimmy Scott. It's beautiful and that shall be my tribute to you for 47 years of wedded bliss. Congratulations! My parents will celebrate 48 years on Sept. 5th.

    Thanks for dancing across my heartstrings once more! I sure do ♥ you!


  8. Anonymous Says:

    Great post! I'm not much of a dancer, either, but when I put praise music on, I can't seem to help myself. :) Something just comes over me. Isn't that wonderful how He works?

    It will be even more exciting to dance IN His presence...

    Chris


  9. chris Says:

    Happy Anniversary Lynn!!

    I had to laugh a bit at this one as I have a zany chicken dance... oh my goodness it is silly!!

    Thanks for the new tune, I enjoyed that worship music this morning :-)


  10. Tracy Krauss Says:

    Great post Lynn - as always. I love the imagery of dancing. It is so celebratory!


  11. E. G. Lewis Says:

    Forty-Six years? Now we know who was a child bride.
    Great post. In 1st Thessalonians Paul says, "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances..." We may be going about our day calm and collected on the outside, but inside our heart should be dancing.
    Peace and Blessings


  12. I truly dislike dancing, but I get it anyways. Joy is pretty cool and we need to embrace it.


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, sweet Gigi! It warms my heart to hear from you and that you are rejoicing. I'll have to listen to that song. Thank you! And thank you, dear one, for stopping by and commenting. Love you!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Chris, so great that praise inspires your feet! I so appreciate your comment. Thank you! Blessings!


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks for the anniversary wish, Chris! And you're so right. That chicken dance is so silly. I don't know how that got started. Glad you like the song. It's one of my favorites. Thanks so much for commenting. I appreciate it. Blessings to you!


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Tracy, for commenting! Your words make my heart happy. Bless you!


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Edward, I was ten days past my 20th birthday when we got married. I was a baby! I almost used that verse but it didn't make the cut. Thank you so much for commenting. Blessings to you!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, sorry you don't like to dance, Mike. It is fun! Except maybe the silly chicken dance! LOL Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. I appreciate. Bless you!


  19. Jack Brown Says:

    there is much to celebrate, no matter what our circumstanced.
    BIIIIIIIG HUG & Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby


  20. Unknown Says:

    Happy Anniversary and congratulations! Really enjoyed your post; I always find a song that goes with my post and add it too. Thank you for the welcome :)
    Wishing you many more years of blessings.


  21. Oh Yummmmm! This post is good enough to eat, but I'll just dance. How uplifting, joyous, comforting--I could go on but I won't. Just a big
    "Thank You" to you Lynn.


  22. lynnmosher Says:

    Amen, Jackie, amen! Thanks so much for the comment and the anniversary wishes! Bless you!


  23. lynnmosher Says:

    Suzie, I am so honored to have you visit! Thanks so much for taking time to read and comment. And thanks for the anniversary blessings! Blessings to you!


  24. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Thanks so much, Pat! I loved your comment! You made my heart very happy! Bless you!


  25. Lynn, I love that song! I wonder at the ache, the longing to dance in the Presence of almighty God. There could be no better place to step into the dance than our first moment in Heaven. Can you even imagine? Love your celebrate post! Having my own quiet little celebration right here in this tiny little corner of our world tonight. Blessings to you!


  26. Jean Wise Says:

    Happy anniversary, Lynn. We just also celebrated our 40th! I love the idea of dancing with the Lord. but laughed at the chicken dance. Now that is an image I hadn't thought of before: Jesus doing the chicken dance at a wedding but I kinda think he would jump right in and do it!


  27. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, sweet Cindee! So glad you liked the song. And oh, won't it be absolutely wonderful to dance in heaven? So happy to see you! Blessings!


  28. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL I think He would join in! Thanks so much for commenting, sweet Jean! I deeply appreciate the anniversary wishes. And happy anniversary to you as well! Blessings to you!


  29. Bill Jones Says:

    Thanks Lynn - great celebration post, and great thoughts of how God can turn our mourning in to dancing.


  30. lynnmosher Says:

    Bill, thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. I truly appreciate it. Bless you!


  31. Ha! Lynn! All the dances I do look like the chicken dance. But I suppose when I dance in heaven, Jesus might do the chicken dance with me and it'll even look graceful! Meanwhile, when I dance for Him at least I'm sure I make Him smile. Along with everyone watching down here...

    Great post about celebrating!


  32. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Carol, you are such a hoot! Thanks so much for your great comment! Blessings to you!


  33. TraciB Says:

    Happy belated anniversary, Lynn! Sorry I didn't get here sooner; you know how it goes sometimes.

    Love this post, love that song - can't wait to dance with you on those streets that are golden. :)


  34. SandiGrace Says:

    Belated Anniversary Blessings!! :)

    This is a lovely reminder of who our true Love is and that we will soon begin our real lives with Him. Thank you, Lynn.

    I've never been a good dancer, even when I was young and healthy. Sometimes my heart leaps with unimaginable joy, and I long to do gymnastics, or even fly to praise God! The gymnastics and flying were always a dream! Yet, my physical limitations keep me from even chicken dancing. LOL

    One precious part of my "Blessed Hope" is to one day leap, do hand-springs, cartwheels, and somer-saults in my new body. And I long to fly! Wouldn't it be wonderful if our Lord gives our new bodies the ability to fly? I hope so.

    We have many wonderful joys stored up for us. We serve an Awesome and Loving God!!


  35. Great post, Lynn. And sorry I'm so late getting here.

    I've never done the chicken dance, but (and don't laugh at this) I was praising the Lord one morning and "Moon Walked" across the floor, in fuzzy, white slipppers. I'd never done it before that moment, and I've never been able to replicate it since.


  36. lynnmosher Says:

    Yay, Traci! We can *hoop* it together! :D I'm late in responding to you. Forgive me. I so appreciate your comment. Thanks so much! Bless you!


  37. lynnmosher Says:

    Sandi, I'm so sorry you have a condition that limits you. I totally understand. May you know the joy of dancing even if you don't dance! Thanks for stopping by. Bless you!


  38. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Deborah, such a fun thought! Thanks for sharing that. I loved it! And thanks for your comment. I appreciate it. Blessings to you!