Friday, August 3

Hold onto Your Fork...The Best is Yet to Be!



Years ago, our preacher at the time gave a sermon about a married couple. I don’t remember the details, only the basics.

A wife had served her husband a great meal, and as she cleared away the dishes, she announced to her husband her usual comment, “Hold onto your fork. The best is yet to be.”

After the sermon, that saying stuck with me. As we were suffering financial difficulties, I took an old fork, tied a red ribbon around it, and hung it on my refrigerator in hopes of God’s promise of the best is yet to be. I never removed it. It’s been there for years. It reminds me that, no matter what the trial, heartache, or pain surrounding my life, God is still faithful to the promises in His Word.

First Kings 8:56b says, “There has not failed one word of all His good promise.” (NKJV) Abraham knew this. He never doubted, for scripture says he was “fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform.” (Rom. 4:21 NKJV) He held on and God fulfilled His promise to him of the best that was yet to be.

Even with great faith attached to it, a promise of God sometimes stalls in its appearance because of God’s time schedule. What happens when inactivity occurs, when a promise seems to drift farther and farther away, when circumstances linger incessantly and patience wears thin? Are we more concerned about the problem or God’s promise?

If we hold onto that Word, as that scarlet cord of promise, God will always be faithful to keep it, for the One Who breathes His promises into our hearts will not fail to serve up the sweet ending.

Whatever your trials might be this day, hang on to God’s promises. Go now, find a fork, tie it up with a pretty bow, and hang it on your refrigerator, for...

YOUR BEST IS YET TO BE!!!

                                                                       
***Hope you don't mind a rerun!

Today, I’m hooking up with...



Share/Save/Bookmark
21 Responses
  1. Terra Says:

    The fork and the ribbon, and the best is yet to be. True, and better beyond what we can imagine.


  2. Hi, Lynn. Loved this post. We do need reminders of His Grace and Love, as we tend to get caught up in the hubbub of this electronic world. The picture reminds me of the delicious brownie I got at Chik-fil-a yesterday.


  3. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, yes, Terra! Waaaaaaaay beyond what we can imagine! Thanks so much for stopping by! Bless you!


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Ooo...Pat, that sounds so good! Now I'm drooling! Gotta get some chocolate! LOL Blessings to you!


  5. I've heard the fork story from pastors, too. The ones I've heard end with the man being buried with a fork in his hand. Love your idea of tying a ribbon on one and keeping it as a reminder. Thanks for sharing this today.


  6. Mark Says:

    good read! we will hang a fork right next to our God bag on the fridge! :)


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Carol, the story our pastor told may have had part. I don't remember. I didn't even think to add that I told my husband that I want to be buried with my fork. I may have to make that my next post! Thanks, sweetie! <3


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Mark, I'm honored to have you visit. Thank you so much for taking time to read my post and leave a comment. Glad you'll be hanging a fork! Blessings to you!


  9. Gigi Says:

    I loved this and that is so true because as Christians we may endure a lot here on earth but we know the best is yet to come...the Marriage Supper of the Lamb. I love the analogy of the fork and ribbon, especially as you allowed for the Scarlet cord from the story of Rahab. This was a wonderful idea and I'm going to tie a beautiful red/scarlett ribbon around a fork and hang it from my refridgerator door. That way when people see it I can share even more of my faith!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    You are such a sweetie, Gigi! Thanks so much, dear one. I'm so glad you liked it. And happy that you'll hang a fork with a red cord/ribbon as well. Love you!


  11. Unknown Says:

    Thanks for a great reminder on a difficult day! Just hung a ribbon on a fork myself. Helps to remember that "we're just pilgrims passing through."


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Suzie, I'm so sorry. Thanks for leaving a comment. Praying for you! Blessings to you!


  13. I've heard that phrase used in several sermons, but it is always good to hear and good to remember!

    I would never have thought of hanging a fork on my fridge, but I will find me a pretty antique one, and do that. Bless you, Lynn!


  14. I just love this analogy of the fork and dessert! Great story Lynn. I'm so glad God has kept the best for last. I'm just praying that there is indeed chocolate in heaven! (lol)


  15. Unknown Says:

    This is an amazing post and spoke volumes to me - thank you! I needed to hear and remember that the Best is YET to be. Seems that the world is crumbling around so many. Everywhere I look, everyone I know and every word I hear lately is tragedy and despair. I hold dearly to the Word, in my heart I know it will never fail and the promises are real, but we all need some relief...some glimmer..some tangibility. Peace and Blessings to you!


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Sherry, so glad you liked the hanging fork idea! Enjoy it! It's a great reminder! Thanks so much for stopping by. Blessings to you!


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Deborah, there HAS to be chocolate in heaven! Fountains of it! Thanks so much. Blessings to you!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    So glad it was an encouragement to you, Terrie. Makes my heart happy to know that. Thanks so much for stopping by. Bless you!


  19. Ah, yes, Lynn. We know for certain the best is yet to be, maybe not here, but certainly in the next. The fork is a great analogy. Who doesn't love desert?


  20. lynnmosher Says:

    Amen, Ceci! The best is truly yet to be! Thanks so much for commenting. Bless you!


  21. lynnmosher Says:

    I love that, Flucy-girl! A great idea! Thanks so much for stopping by, sweetie! Bless you!