Wednesday, September 3

Learning to Fish for Souls

Jesus said, “Go to the lost, confused people right here in the neighborhood. Tell them that the kingdom is here.” Matt. 10:6-7 The Message Remix

Learning to fish was never at the top of my list when I was a young girl. My father and I went fishing only once. He baited my hook. Squeezing those wiggly worms onto a sharp hook was too yucky. We didn’t use any fancy lures or have much knowledge of fishing.

The above verses command us, as Christians, to do the highest kind of fishing, the same kind Jesus taught the disciples to do - to fish for souls. In order to accomplish that, our lives must be fresh bait on the hook of the gospel.

The problem is that most of us don’t like to fish. We cringe at the thought of baiting the witnessing hook. It isn’t necessary to have all the right equipment or knowledge, just a willing heart. When we are willing, the Lord says He will teach us, “I will show you how to fish for the souls of men!” (Matt. 4:19 TLB)

My father and I never caught anything, but my Father and I have! I’m not proficient at it, yet; I’m still learning how to bait my hook.

Prayer: Lord, You came to seek and to save that which was lost. You died for this very reason. May the eternal destination of one who does not know You be of more concern to me than my own inadequacies to witness. Amen.
6 Responses
  1. Jason Says:

    "I’m not proficient at it, yet; I’m still learning how to bait my hook."

    I disagree! You are doing a fantastic job of it here! Lots of inspiration to be found on your blog!

    Keep up the good work!


  2. Unknown Says:

    Jason, What an awesome comment! Thank you so much. You've made my heart glad. May the Lord bless you in all your efforts to serve Him. Lynn


  3. Walk Says:

    I have to echo Jason, your blog is the go-to place when work starts to drag me down. A little inspiration (better than a Snickers) to get me through the day. I can see and feel your spirit through your words, thanks for being tuned in to His Spirit.


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Terry, You do know how to turn on my waterworks! I can barely see through the tears to type. How a precious thing to say. I will treasure these words always. My prayer is always to bring glory to the Lord and to be of benefit and service to others through all I write. You have truly blessed me. May the Lord bless you in return. Lynn


  5. I was struck by the image of baiting the hook with worms when we are witnessing.

    Fisherman use worms because that's what the fish want. It makes me wonder how often I fail to explain Christ well because I turn up my nose at what people want and need.

    (Thanks for installing the twitter feed, that's how I got to this post!)


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Mark, you are so right. You make a great point. I should have added that! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to read this and leave me a comment. Bless you! So glad we got cyber-hooked! Blessings to you and your sweet family! Lynn