Friday, October 31

Houseguest Coming


I received a message the other day to expect a houseguest, a special friend coming for a visit, someone with deep needs. Since I love giving and love my friend, I was excited at the prospect of helping out in any way I could.

So I did what every woman would do, I started cleaning the house…

Knock, knock, knock! Yikes! I’m not ready. However, I opened the door anticipating my friend but found a dirty beggar asking for a handout. Sorry, I said. I’m busy. Try next door.

…then I started preparing special food…

Knock, knock, knock! Aha! Must be my friend! Opening the door, this time I found a member from church collecting canned goods for the hungry. Sorry, I said. I’m busy. Try next door.

…then I put out the good towels and tablecloth…

Knock, knock, knock! Now what? Irritated, I flung open the door and found a neighbor’s child collecting clothes for homeless children. Sorry, I said. I’m busy. Try next door.

After everything was finished, I was pooped so I sat down to rest. Looking at my watch, I began to wonder what happened to my friend who was in such need. Doesn’t he know I’m waiting here to help him?

No more interruptions. No more knocking. As I decided to just sit there and wait, the Lord began to whisper to my heart…

I knocked on your door three times today but you were too busy to let Me in. I said I would come to visit because I had needs. I sent you the needs but you didn’t accept them as from Me. You received Me not. If you had responded to what I sent, you would have enjoyed sharing a precious fellowship with My people and with Me.”

Hanging my head in humiliation, I listened as He continued…

Didn’t I tell you that when you did something for one of the least of these, you were doing it to Me? Will you turn Me away again next time?”

If He knocks upon your door today, will you open up to welcome Him as your honored houseguest? How will He appear, as the dirty beggar, the church member, the child? Or maybe as the person sitting in the back pew crying, the young father with small children and food stamps, the neighbor down the street dying of AIDS, the single mother working two jobs to feed her children?

Who will you welcome? Whose needs will you meet?

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.” (Rev. 3:20 NKJV)

~~Blessings, Lynn~~
8 Responses
  1. Deb Burton Says:

    Sounds like a great update on the start of "In his steps".


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Deb! You're so sweet to take time to read this and leave me a comment. I deeply appreciate it. You are the second person to mention that book to me, though it concerned another post. I used to have several copies of that book but I don't remember if I ever read it. I'll have to dig it out and read it! Thanks so much. Blessings to you...


  3. AC Says:

    This was so nice Lynn. You are a very good writer- wise and compassionate. I enjoy your messages and tweets! Thanks for being so generous with your encouragement and prayer dedication for me!


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Andrea! Thanks so much for reading and for your sweet comment. It is my pleasure and honor to encourage and pray for you. Blessings to you, dear one...


  5. Wow..that was awesome..

    May God give us eyes to see and a heart full of compassion and mercy for others. God help us to be obedient and quick to respond when we see others in need of help, a kind word, a smile, food, clothes, or a hug. In Jesus name..Amen.


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, TG! You make my heart happy with your comments. Bless you...


  7. Tina Says:

    Aren't we all guilty at times of picking and choosing how and when we minister though many opportunities pass us by as we pick and choose? Oh that we could see interruptions as the divine appointments they often are! Thank you, Lynn, for gently encouraging and reminding us to stay open to His calling.


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Tina! Thank you so much for taking time to stop by and leave me a comment. I deeply appreciate it. Be blessed...