Friday, February 13

What is Love?


Okay, so February is considered the Love Month because of Valentine’s Day. With all that has been written about love, is there anything new to say about it? Well, I had a thought.

More than likely, you have heard about Twitter, the online social network or community. Since I am on Twitter, I decided to get a little feedback from my Twitter friends and asked them this question…

What is the essence or meaning of love to you?


I received some awesome answers. Because Twitter limits responses to 140 characters, these are short responses…

* karenrobbins said, “Love: emotion that sends adrenaline soaring and brings tears of joy with tenderness when it is returned unconditionally.”
* Hetty4Christ quoted C. S. Lewis, “God will look to every soul like its first love because He IS its first love.”
* Pepperfire said, “Love is the meaning of life. Without it, we are naught but a bunch of self-centered egos trying to kill each other.”
* Molly_Mac said, “I always go back to 1 Corinthians 13:4, Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous...can’t improve on that one!”
* pamelareilly had two responses, “Love is being willing to do EVERYTHING biologically necessary while your partner has two broken arms. Been there. Done that…Love is my husband’s willingness to make dinner, chauffeur the kids, clean house, massage my neck, and be my rock while I write.”
* rachaelmphillips (married for 34 years) said, “My husband Steve demonstrates love’s essence. Like Jesus, he celebrates the good in me, forgives my bad, & shelters me in His strong arms.
* PPureIndugence had two responses, “To love and be loved in return is the greatest gift God has given. He loves unconditionally and asks us to do the same. Seems this is a challenge for man. We tend to love but want to change others. Been guilty of this myself…In Ps. 107 God speaks of his “Unfailing Love” 6 times. Even as we are wandering, imprisoned, afflicted, and in the storms of life, His Unfailing love is always there.”

Out of the responses I received, the #1 answer was contained in one word…sacrifice!

* ProfessorAlan and lizdyer both said, “Love is sacrifice.”
* lucyannmoll said, “Love. . .sacrifice, unselfishness (as if this were humanly possible), God. God is love. Sounds like a Bible verse!”
* topabbott said, “The essence of love to me is one word, sacrifice. If we’re not willing to give something up for another, it’s not love.”
* filoiwiedenhoff said, “I thought about yr question yesterday and the word that keeps coming to mind is sacrificial. John 15:13 - No greater love than that…I’m learning love is to be willing to lay myself aside but it can only come through the power of Jesus. His love being poured out through me.”

Laying Himself aside, Christ poured out His physical life for the redemption of the world. As the Bridegroom, Jesus selflessly surrendered His life on earth for His bride, the church, whom He “loved…and gave Himself for her.” (Eph. 5:25b NKJV)

When we receive this sacrificial love into our lives, do we then willingly pour it out to others? Or are we too selfish and set in our own ways?

Peter tells us, “Now you can have real love for everyone because your souls have been cleansed from selfishness and hatred when you trusted Christ to save you; so see to it that you really do love each other warmly, with all your hearts.” (1 Peter 1:22 TLB)

Do we love others unselfishly as Jesus does, whether our spouses, families, friends, or others? Do we forget ourselves in order to help another? Do we endure being uncomfortable in order to make someone else comfortable? Do we forgo acquiring something in order to give to another?

Remember, “Whoever lives in love lives in God.” (1 John 4:16b NIV)

On this Valentine’s Day, from my heart to your heart, I wish you an infilling of love in Jesus’ name…

~~Blessings, Lynn~~
9 Responses
  1. Sita Says:

    Thank you, Lynn....and may His love be perfected in your heart...
    Happy Valentines Day!


  2. Thanks Lynn, you are loving!
    To me love is action. I John 3:16-18 says:
    "This is how we know what love is: Christ gave His life for us. We too, then, ought to give our lives for our brothers! If a rich person sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against his brother, how can he claim that he loves God? My children, our love should not be just words and talk; it must be true love, which shows itself in action."


  3. Hetty Says:

    Amen dear friend from Jesus...WHOM I LOVE DEARLY! God is so full of love...and is amazing how I never knew Jesus-therefore never knew to love Him. But He always loved(loves) me! And walked and ran with me until we figured out how I could find Him-so I could find tru love. My marriage didn't work the first time...and we didn't have Christ centered. I know, with true love and faith in Him-all things are possible...He is LOVE. And with all I went thru finding Him, and growing close to Him-truly taught ME how to love-even coming from the non-touchy loving family. I have such a heart now from Him..because I have one for Him...He has sure blessed me-amazing permanant Valentine! (and Christmas gift...etc!) Love you so dearly and thank Him for you and your love!
    In His Love to you!
    Hetty

    1 Corinthians 13:13


  4. Anonymous Says:

    An excellent blog, as we contemplate LOVE we must remember that as it say in 1 Tim 1:5 “the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart, a good conscience, and sincere faith”.

    It is clear that you embrace all of those qualities.

    In Christ we receive His LOVE and a
    Life
    Of
    Victory
    Everlasting

    In Christ

    Roy


  5. Molly Says:

    Oh, I think my favorite is from Pam Reily about the two broken arms. That is so true. That is something I am going to have to grow into, a co-worker recently broke both of her arms and the thought of all her family did for her pained me. I need to work on the love!

    Thanks for this post, its awesome


  6. Thank you for sharing this lovely post, Lynn! Love is one of the greatest gifts from God and one we need to return to Him and pass on to others.


  7. Unknown Says:

    Beautifully written.


  8. I agree..true love is sacrifice. Sacrificing your own will for others. Walking out 1 Corin 13:4-7.
    Great post!!


  9. You have been selected to receive the Premio Dardos award because I think your blog is worth recognition! If you accept, go to my blog and copy the rules to pass on to your awardees.

    Happy blogging,
    Tammy