Wednesday, September 23

Three Kneelers


I once read the story of a woman’s dream in which she saw three women as they knelt to pray. I have often thought about this woman’s dream, being in the position of each of the pray-ers. I’ll try to retell it. See if one of the kneelers reminds you of anyone.

In the dream, as the women knelt, the Lord appeared and began walking toward them. Drawing near the first one, He bent down to her in tender care, smiling and speaking to her in phrases of sweet love.

As He approached the next one, He merely placed His hand upon her bowed head, giving her a loving look of approval.

And the third one? He quickly passed by her, never offering a word of encouragement or a touch of care.

In her dream, the woman thought to herself, “By His gestures, the Lord must have dearly loved the first kneeler. The second one, He merely patted her with acceptance but none of the recognitions that He gave the first one. But the third kneeler…did she do something to grieve Him that He spoke not a word or give her a passing look? What made the difference between them?”

As she pondered the actions of the Lord, He came and stood beside her, saying, “Oh, my sweet child. You have so misjudged Me and My actions. The first kneeling woman needs all My love and attention every moment, for without it, she would fail.

“The faith of the second kneeler is greater and her love is fuller, so I know she will trust Me no matter what comes her way.

“The one whom I seemed to neglect has faith and love of the choicest and most precious quality. Her intimate knowledge and trust of Me is so solid that she needs no words nor looks, no outward expression of My approval.

“The varying circumstances that I allow in her life do not impede her way. She trusts Me when all outward stresses bring discouragement and frustration, when all the agonies of life attack her sensibilities, attempting to cause her to rebel. She knows that I work My eternal purposes in her and all that she does not understand now, she will later. I am training her for My highest and holiest principals.

“My silence does not mean lack of love, for my love knows no bounds; it is not confined by mere words of approval nor expressions of acceptance. My silence goes beyond the human heart and mind to comprehend. In my finite reasoning, My intentions are perfect, for each child of Mine, that each may learn, in response to My love, to love and trust Me with all his or her heart, without any outward encouragement to bring it forth.”

Are you, precious child of God, going through some crushing blow, or heartbreaking sorrow, or bitter disappointment? In your prayers, are you looking for a word from your Beloved, a tender pat on the head, a look of approval, or longing to hear some sweet phrases of encouragement?

“The silences of Jesus are as eloquent as His speech and may be a sign, not of His disapproval, but of His approval and of a deep purpose of blessing for you.”

What if He answers you not a word? Which kneeler’s position will be yours?



Share/Save/Bookmark
17 Responses
  1. Sheila Deeth Says:

    Thank you. That is beautiful.


  2. Ernest Says:

    Lynn,

    A quite evocative allegory for how we approach our faith, belief and trust in God.

    I would hope that I am like the third kneeler, but being human, I think that I am probably more like the first.

    Unconditional trust and love of God can sometimes be blinded by the affairs of this world. I strive to do better, but I fail, just like her.

    The precious gift of God's love cannot be avoided - he is there alongside us all of the time, we need to take off our blindfolds and see him there for us.


  3. susanlani Says:

    Ahh, well, I think I've been all three at different times. I've been so strong sometimes, but then, to feel the touch of Jesus in my neediest hours... So...I've been to the top and at rock bottom, maybe, just maybe I'm mostly in between.


  4. Good morning, Lynn,

    That vision is a powerful one and one that sets paths of growth before us.

    After over fifty years of growing in the Lord, I can say that I have been like all three of these women.

    You didn't tell us the position of the women's heads in the vision. God may not have shown that. But, I can promise you that the third woman had her eyes firmly fixed on Jesus' face, regardless of her circumstances.

    When we are completely overtaken by His love in our daily walk with Him, His love saturates the pores of our lives. He doesn't pass the woman who lives like this; she LIVES Him. Then she knows the joy unspeakable and unending peace.

    May our prayer be to always live in His love.

    Be blessed!

    Lynnda


  5. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Sheila! I deeply appreciate your faithfulness and following. Blessings to you!


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    You are so right, Ernie! He is always there, though His presence is clouded by the mist of our circumstances. Bless you!


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Lynnda, I know I have been each one also. This woman's dream has been such a comfort to me in those times of the Lord's silence. Be blesed!


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Ah, Susan. I so understand. We all have those times that we wish we could feel the touch of His hand upon us or hear those sweet words of comfort...and yet, He is silent. Thank you so much for your comment. Blessings to you!


  9. Terra Says:

    I love this story; it is new to me and has the ring of truth to it.


  10. Timely post, Lynn, very timely. Sometimes I find myself almost begging the Lord for a pat on my shoulder, just so I know I'm still where He wants me to be. I don't know why I need reassurance so much, but this story helps me to see things from HIS perpective, not mine.
    Thank you Lynn, you're a doll :)


  11. Lorrie Says:

    Good word for us Lynn... Blessings :-)


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Terra! So glad to hear from you. I hope all is well with you in your corner of the world! Thanks so much for reading and commenting! Blessings to you!


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Marja, my dear, sweet, long-time friend! The Lord always has a purpose for each post in the heart of at least one person...sounds like this was for you! That makes me very happy and humbled! Blessings to you, my friend!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, sweet Lorrie! Thank you so much for your faithfulness and your comments! I love hearing from you! Be blessed!


  15. Carol Says:

    I always love what you have to say Lynn; This one is lovely. Thankyou


  16. Sandra King Says:

    I love how Lynda put it - the third woman's eyes fixed on His. Eye to eye. That's the one I want to be. One with Him.

    Beautiful!

    Beholding Him,
    Sandy


  17. Lynn

    This just left me awe struck. How often have I prayed, only to be like the first two. I long for the day when I can be like the third.

    It's amazing how we can trust the Lord with certain things in life, while feeling despondent with others.

    My prayer is, "Lord help me to trust you with all my heart."

    Thanks Lynn, once again you have blessed my heart.

    Louis