Friday, January 7

Stepping into the Unknown

A new Year. A new beginning. A new unknown territory.

A scary journey at times. I wonder...will I have the courage to step out into the unknown as Abraham did...

“He went without knowing where he was going.” (Heb. 11:8b NLT)

As I stand here with my toes on the threshold of the New Year, positioned on the border of unknown territory, I know that God knows where He and I are going. Do I then go forward in faith’s victory to possess this New Year...or remain frozen in victim’s defeat, allowing it to possess me?

A myriad of challenges will confront me each day. How will I handle them?


As Jesus once said to a man whom He was about to heal, “Step forward.” (Mark 3:3b NKJV) Will I step forward believing and trusting for the answer to that which I need, remembering what God has done for me in the past? Or will I hang back in the shadows afraid to move ahead, forgetting God’s providence?

Just as God told Isaiah, He says you and me, “Remember the things I have done in the past. For I alone am God! I am God, and there is none like Me.” (Is. 46:9 NLT)

God will again make His provisions available in the New Year for it is in His plan for each of us. He says, “I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.” (Jer. 29:11 Msg)

However, His plan will only unfold daily, as we trust Him for each step.


As God led every step of the Israelites’ journey to the new land, so He still leads us today. When we take those wobbly steps into the unknown, what will this new land hold for us?

We may encounter...

* joys unspeakable
* smooth paths of guidance
* lush pastures of provision
* varied hilltop experiences
* spiritual blessings in abundance

However, we may also encounter...

* desert dryness
* valley mists and fogs
* wilderness wanderings
* gremlins hiding behind bushes
* paths with potholes and pitfalls
* steep uphill climbs and dangerous downhill slides

Challenges will meet us at every turn; some easier to handle than others. But God will work in all the ups and downs of those trials, heartaches, and blessings.

He does this for us because of His compassion and mercy. Jeremiah tells us, “Yet there is one ray of hope: His compassion never ends. It is only the Lord’s mercies that have kept us from complete destruction. Great is His faithfulness; His loving-kindness begins afresh each day.” (Lam. 3:21-23 TLB)

Be assured that no matter what happens on your journey this year, He is the source of your fresh mercies every morning. He will never fail you. He will walk by your side along each rocky bend in the road and carry you through each heartache and loss.

God will see you through to the end of next year. Will you live as Abraham...“By faith he dwelt in the land of promise as in a foreign country.” (Heb. 11:9a NKJV)

We live our outward days on earth as in a foreign country, for we abide in God’s Kingdom of promise within us. Therefore, each day brings a new threshold into eternity. How can we not welcome it with willing feet and open arms?

I am ready to step into the journey of each new day of this year, greeting each one in faith and with God’s mercy.

How about you? Are you ready? How will you greet the challenges of your new journey?


I’m finishing this post with a different twist...a quote from Dr. Seuss, with one word change...

“You’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your [journey] is waiting,
So...get on your way!”

May each day, though filled with a trial, bring you a smile and a blessing!

**This post is part of Christian's Writers blog chain. Please visit the other posts listed in the sidebar. Thanks!**



Share/Save/Bookmark
12 Responses
  1. Melanie Says:

    Wonderful post, Lynn! It is certainly scary stepping out into the unknown. I am so thankful that God is with me each step of the way. It's always easier to look BACK and see the ways that God has continually provided, but to peek with hesitation into the FUTURE is very hard for me. I appreciate your words and encouragement.

    Blessings,
    Melanie


  2. Jan Cline Says:

    I will be stepping into unknown territory this year by directing a Christian writers conferene. It's always so interesting to see how God orchestrates his will for our lives.
    Great post...thank you.
    Blessings
    Jan


  3. TraciB Says:

    Excellent post, Lynn! Very encouraging way to start this new year and decade. :)


  4. Kimberlymac Says:

    Thank you so much for this post! It has truly encouraged me. We literally ended (Dec 27th) the old year with my husband being laid off from work, a trial we had not anticipated, but one of those suddenly moments that kind of sweeps you off your feet. Our future in this world looks pretty hopeless when we look ahead, but God is teaching us the values of His Kingdom wisdom. Each day of our New Year, we have had exactly what we needed and He proves His faithfulness to us as we step into each day. Scarey… Oh Yes… but we are testing God’s Word that perfect love casts out all fear! We are learning to love God perfectly by staying faithfully in the manna of the day He provides and by looking forward with eyes of faith and looking backwards with Heavenly Hindsight that continually refreshes us in the testimony of His faithfulness to us. Please keep us in your prayers that God will open a door that no man can shut for us, that we will be His testimony of faith during this trial and that we will learn and grow in the Kingdom principles God has allowed this trial for. May we all stay in His Kingdom Purpose from this day unto forever! AWE-GOD!


  5. Dawn Wilson Says:

    This is powerful, Lynn. You echo the cry of my heart ~ to step forward with courage into whatever God has for me, but also to be proactive in seeking His will.


  6. Your description of the benefits and drawbacks of following God fully reminded me of those ads for medicines on TV. They tell you what it's supposed to do, then rattle off a series of possible side effects, as though they weren't as important.

    Great post.

    ~ VT


  7. Great post to start the New Year with Lynn, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I love the quote, I think I'll put it on my fridge :)


  8. E G Lewis Says:

    Great post, Lynn. There are times when I ask myself, "Why are you here instead of there? Why are you doing this instead of that?" The consoling answer is that we can never be out of step or miss our cue. Everything that happens, be it good, bad, or indifferent is part of God's plan for the universe.We are always where we're supposed to be doing what we're supposed to be doing...even if it doesn't always feel like it at the time.
    Peace and Blessings


  9. Excellent, as always. You are a gifted writer and I always get something from reading your posts. I appreciate you!


  10. Great post Lynn. Abraham certainly was a hero of faith. He left his home without any idea of where God was leading him.

    Remembering the things that God has done for us in the past is so important to building our faith. That's why the Israelites used to heap up piles of stones as monuments so they would never forget what God had done.


  11. Tracy Krauss Says:

    As a couple of other people already noted, it is easy to see God's hand when we take the time to look backwards at our lives. I guess that's why faith is called 'the evidence of things not seen'. God is very merciful in not letting us know the future, though. Whatever it holds, we trust that he is in control


  12. David Rupert Says:

    Love the confidence and boldness of your approach. What could go wrong? with him on our side...he's got our back