Thursday, July 21

The Old Gold Miner


***Hope you don't mind a rerun!***

One day, as I was bewailing a difficult circumstance, the Lord gave me this vision of His working in my life…

With shirtsleeves rolled up to his elbows, an old gold miner knelt beside a sparkling stream of water, bubbling with life. His weather-beaten hands clutched a sizable sieve like those used years ago for panning gold. On it rested a massive amount of dirt and rocks of all sizes, shapes, and hardness.

Undaunted, he knelt there, concentrating on the debris. Shaking the sieve with vigor, then again with tenderness, he continued his apparent mission, as if on a treasure hunt for some mysterious element.

The dirt and smaller pebbles slipped through the holes in the screen, disappearing downstream into waters that appeared to have a life of their own. The remaining larger, coarse rocks on the screen grated against each other, altering their appearance.

Tears began to trickle down his furrowed cheeks and fall upon the transformed rocks, washing away the leftover traces of dirt. An all-knowing smile gradually spread across his aged face. His eyes twinkled, reflecting the anticipated precious treasure, the golden gems now resting on the sieve.

He glanced up and whispered, “My Word is the screen sifting out all the impurities of your life, while the Living Waters wash them away. In My love for you, I am ever at work in your circumstances. As they rub against you, they transform you and rid you of those things that would dirty your life and taint your work for Me. As I remove them, you are made into that precious, golden gem, reflected in My eyes.”

Through this vision, the Lord showed me that, no matter what circumstances occur in my life, no matter how relentlessly they rub against me, He allows them all to be sifted through His Word, His love, and His fingers, changing me into His image and that golden reflection in His eyes.

“This means tremendous joy to you, even though at present you may be temporarily harassed by all kinds of trials. This is no accident - it happens to prove your faith, which is infinitely more valuable than gold…” (1 Peter 1:6-7a Phillips)



Share/Save/Bookmark
16 Responses
  1. I don't mind a re-run Lynn, besides: I have never read this one :)
    Great post, thank you. Have a good weekend.


  2. Oh, Lynn -- I got tingles. What a beautifully written vision straight from God.


  3. David Rupert Says:

    "Shaking the sieve"....Hey, that's me in there!


  4. Glynn Says:

    A beautiful metaphor, Lynn - we are that nugget He seeks so ardently.


  5. Ref Says:

    The 14th brought some extra hard shaking and sifting over here. My 18 year old daughter calls to let me know she was rear ended,(car is totaled, child will be fine) and before we arrived at the scene of the accident my 21 year old (650 miles away) calls and is going to the doctor again this time he was sent to the emergency room. No emergency surgery but further testing to follow. First set of tests have reported rheumatoid arthritis --that's not even why he was in the emergency room.Through the "swirling" of emotions and "shaky"footing this week miracles have surrounded and protected our family!The shaking and swirling of our "gold pan" never gets easier; however, knowing who is holding the pan is comforting.


  6. Russana Says:

    Wonderful Lynn. thank you for sharing what God shared with you...


  7. What a beautiful lesson for us all Lynn! I will never look at panning for gold the same way again! Our Heavenly Father keeps those special nuggets for His treasure chest. So glad He values us so much! Thanks!


  8. Anonymous Says:

    So true! Great re-post!


  9. Great post. The shaking is never comfortable, that is why it is called suffering. Even Jesus cried out to God the night before His death, but we should always remember this excellent example of God's plan for our spiritual life and not complain or become bitter through our trials. Repeats of great messages are always welcome, Lynn. After all God has to repeat Himself a great deal in order for us to finally get it.


  10. Good morning Lynn. I am reading "The Gifts and Ministries of the Holy Spirit" by Lester Sumrall. On page 24, it states "God is a revealer, a revealer of the interior workings of human beings. This great message of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is something that should be shared." You are sharing what the Lord reveals to you Lynn. Thank you for ministering to all of us. Have a blessed day!


  11. Great post, Lynn. :)


  12. Erin Says:

    Love, love, love this, Lynn! Especially this part, “My Word is the screen sifting out all the impurities of your life, while the Living Waters wash them away." That is powerful. I want all my impurities sifted out!
    I love you!
    Erin


  13. Some of our fav movies we watch over and over. "The Quiet Man" is one of them - and each time we find something we missed that makes it even more enjoyable. A good post is like that! Your posts always bless me. That I am like that for God,that my children are coveted like that by God - it humbles me, takes away the fear life brings - and fills me with joy that is sweet like honey! Thanks Lynn!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    You are all so sweet to comment. I am truly honored that you visited. It means a great deal to me. Each of you has blessed me. Please forgive for not responding to you personally as I'm sick with a cold or flu or something and my head just isn't working right! Blessings to all of you!


  15. As always your words are inspiring... I guess this is where to enter for $50 gift card.


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Gotcha, Debra! Thanks!