Wednesday, November 30

Struggling for Words


Yes...I...struggle...for...words!


They do not come easy for me.

Penning several monthly columns, devotionals for other sites, and my own blog posts is definitely very frustrating. With a couple of learning disabilities, I struggle to craft the right words, but I do it in obedience for, to this, the Lord has called me.

Besides writing, talking is made more difficult because the greedy fingers of fibromyalgia grab at my brain, snatching out words, even the simplest ones, and leaving behind gaps in my memory. Completing a sentence is sometimes impossible.

But do I wrestle to craft those words that will jump off the end of my tongue as much as I wrestle over my writing?
Do I think before those words leap out? Usually...but sometimes, I don’t and I get into trouble.

Should I be concerned about finding the right words to say? Jesus says I should, “On the day of judgment men will have to give account for every idle (inoperative, nonworking) word they speak…Your words now reflect your fate then: either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned.” (Matt. 12:36 Amp, Matt. 12:37 TLB)

Wow! That is truly hard to comprehend, isn’t it?
If we are required to answer for our speech, then we need to be cautious of what exits our mouths, for, as Jesus said, “Whatever is in the heart overflows into speech.” (Luke 6:45b TLB)

The English biblical commentator and Presbyterian minister Matthew Henry wrote, “The heart is the root, the language is the fruit.” We cannot have the sweet nectar of a fruitful, positive confession if the root system of our hearts maintains sour or rotten thoughts. A change in the root system will produce a change in the fruit of speech.

Consequently, “A man’s stomach shall be satisfied from the fruit of his mouth…and with the consequence of his words he must be satisfied [whether good or evil].” (Prov. 18:20a NKJV, Prov. 18:20b Amp)

Solomon warns us, “Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life.” (Prov. 4:23 Masoretic Text) Another version says, “Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life.” (Prov. 4:23 NCV) And will jump off the end of your tongue!

Some say, “I don’t see that my words matter that much.”
Well, our words do matter. If our tongues speak from the abundance of our hearts, and if Jesus and Scripture say our words are critical, then, our words really have extraordinary power and effect, embodying life and death, just as Solomon said, “Death and life are in the power of the tongue.” (Prov. 18:21a NKJV)

The Message version puts it this way, “Words kill, words give life; they’re either poison or fruit—you choose.” So, who in their right mind would choose death over life, poison over fruit? We do!

The words we speak can set our lives on fire for harm or for good.
Our words can bring others to tears or lift their spirits. Our words can even change the atmosphere around us.

Therefore, Paul urges us, “Let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ.” (Phil. 1:27a KJV) This means we are to behave and speak as a citizen of the Kingdom and worthily reflect on the Gospel.

Knowing the consequences of his thoughts and words, David prayed, “Take control of what I say, O LORD, and guard my lips.” (Ps. 141:3 NLT) Therefore, “we take every thought captive and make it obey Christ.” (2 Cor. 10:5b GNT)

My prayer is this:
Lord, in my word struggle, “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to You, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.” (Ps. 19:14 NLT)

What about you? Do you struggle to carefully craft those words, taking captive those thoughts, before they roll off the end of your tongue?




***A portion of the above is taken from my upcoming book Ready or Not...Here I Come!

Today's post is part of...



Share/Save/Bookmark
23 Responses
  1. Well Lynn, first of all I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with your writing. I would read your posts, even it was only one sentence!

    I am big on the power of our words, life and death... remember. James calls our tongue a fire from hell. well, that's strong, that's serious!


  2. Lynn,
    You are so eloquent in your writing that I'd never imagine you struggle with words.

    I often share that I wouldn't have to worry about what I say if my heart is right with the Lord quoting Luke 6:45. Trying to control my speech when my heart is wretched is like trying to cap a volcano. Not a pretty sight!

    I love your quote - “The heart is the root, the language is the fruit.” I'll add that to my repertoire!

    Blessings to you,
    Susan


  3. Great post, Lynn. Thanks!


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh...Marja! You are so sweet! Thank you, my faithful follower! You are a blessing. And I cannot believe I left out James! Where was my head?


  5. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, dear Susan! You bless me! Thank you for your kind words. I love your example, Susan. It does build up steam, doesn't it? So appreciate your visit. Bless you!


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Julie. Honored to have you drop by and comment. You made my heart happy! Blessings to you!


  7. Dawn Wilson Says:

    Sister-Girlfriend, your words have amazed me from the first sentence I read... you have a knack for knowing how to string them together. But more than that, you know how to knit them to our hearts. Thanks for your transparency.


  8. Ugh..yes! The writing gets harder every year. That perfect word was around here someplace...

    The speaking thing gets harder too because Jesus is showing me more often to keep yonder mouth closed instead of yackity-yacking without thinking.

    Thank you for the reminder and the encouragement, Lynn.


  9. Ah, I don't think a single person on this planet who has not uttered a word they have not later regretted. I know I have my own list that bows my head in shame. Thankfully, we have a God of second, third, fourth and more chances.

    Your point about keeping our thoughts positive in kind is very true. Our thoughts eventually bacome actions and words, which we will someday be held accountable for - and forgiven, if we ask to be.


  10. Super post Lynn! Our words are God's thoughts written down when we're moved by His Spirit. I love the part you wrote, “Words kill, words give life; they’re either poison or fruit—you choose.” Great translation and work picture! I want to give others fruit - not poison. I want to whet their appetite, not kill them! Lord, help us to choose wisely and impart grace to the hearers (and readers)...

    Stop by and see me when you have a moment at http://fb.me/ATq2bbjo


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Dear sweet Dawn...thank you so much. You have truly blessed me. I deeply appreciate your kind words and encouragement. Bless you!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Yeah, gotta find that word in the synonym dictionary! Keeping the mouth shut and the ears open is so difficult sometimes. Thanks so much for your comment. I always appreciate hearing from you! Bless you!


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Ceci, praise the Lord for His multiple chances! And His forgiveness! Thanks, sweetie! Blessings to you!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Deborah! I love your thought...giving others fruit and whetting their appetite rather than kill them! You always leave great comments! Bless you!


  15. JoAnne Says:

    My dear friend, Lynn, Ever since I learned some time ago that my stepfather (alias adoptive father 2) had another family that he abandoned for us, I've been struggling for words.

    He always told me that I was the daughter he never had. The truth is he had a daughter that needed him more than I ever did. He had grandchildren as well that were my age. As his granddaughter shared with me, "Grandpa used to be the rock in our lives."

    All week, I keep reading encouraging blog posts where I feel God is nudging me to start writing more again. For reasons, I don't even totally understand, I stopped doing the things I loved the most--writing on my blog and writing stories.

    I made a promise to my father's granddaughter that I would return her mother's doll to her when I could put my heart into words.
    When my father passed away, all I asked for his fishing pole and this intriguing doll he had. I knew it always had some significance to him, but I did not know why. As it turns out his daughter that he apparently loved dearly has been in and out of mental institutions and half-way houses much of her adult life for Schizophrenia. Since I've always been for the underdog, I've been at a loss for words. I didn't mean to write such a long comment, but I wanted to thank you for the meaningful Bible verses. I love you my friend!


  16. *hugs*
    So true about the power of our words and my heart and prayers going out to you....

    The post you have written is so powerful and strikes so true, how we have to be careful of each words we speak...I love what was shared, “The heart is the root, the language is the fruit.”

    What is in the heart...yes...our words can bear testimony....

    Thank you so much for sharing your heart with us!


  17. I've always struggled with words just because I was so stinkin' shy! Not so much anymore. I wrote a post awhile back, somewhat humorous called bloopers and blunders because I seem to use the wrong vocabulary sometimes that gets my son tickled.
    I'm surprised you struggle with being such a wonderful writer. Maybe that's why God gave us the desire to write, to get over the struggle?


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    JoAnne, thank you for your wonderful and sweet comment. It is touching and full of your heart. I so appreciate you. Blessings to you!


  19. lynnmosher Says:

    I think you may be right, Kristin! You are wonderful and tender-hearted to the homeless. You have a true gift or is it a calling? And I read that post but I think I didn't get to comment on it. Fun post! Thanks so much for stopping by. Always love hearing from you. Bless you!


  20. lynnmosher Says:

    Sunflower...thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. I'm honored to have you visit. Thank you for your kind words and for your precious prayers. They are truly appreciated. Blessings to you!


  21. marygems Says:

    Lynn- I was visiting with my elderly mother. Her mouth is full of negativity, complaints, criticisms etc- and here is your post- a timely one- I take what you have said to heart- almost as a warning!!
    God bless you dear one- sorry that you suffer with fibromyalgia- that's TO U G H !!May His peace be in your body as it is in your heart.
    Love from your Ruby friend, Mary.


  22. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, dear Mary, for dropping by. I'm so glad to *see* you! I understand about your mother. My 93 yo mother-in-law is in a nursing home with dementia/Alzheimer's and negativity is prevalent. Thank you for you good wishes. Bless you!


  23. Ann Kroeker Says:

    Always good to remember that accountability verse. Thanks for sharing your struggle and these concerns.