Sunday, March 4

Mmmm...Savoring!


One of hubby’s and my very favorite restaurants is Romano’s Macaroni Grill. When we are able to treat ourselves to dinner out, nine times out of ten, we will choose to go there.

We order our most favorite item on the menu, Chicken Scaloppine with artichokes, mushrooms, prosciutto, lemon butter, and capellini, or our second favorite, about to push into the #1 spot, Parmesan-crusted Sole, which is served with lemon butter, capers, and sun-dried tomato orzo. These two items are so delicious.

While we wait for our meal to arrive, we delight in a loaf of freshly baked rosemary bread, dipped in olive oil, and a shared Caesar salad.

With the first bite of our entree, we look at each other, roll our eyes, and go, “Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!” Any meal at an expensive restaurant could barely compare!

If we split the meal, and still have room for dessert, we share a wonderful tiramisu. We savor every single bite of our meal and we go home with bellies full and satisfied!

There are two others who savor their food: our two youngest granddaughters. They will eat anything. They love to eat! On the occasion that they come to our house after pre-school, they are starved and the first thing they ask for is “pink” or “purple,” meaning the pink (strawberry) or purple (blueberry) yogurt.

The older one would eat three containers (or more) of it if we’d let her. She usually scarfs down two. Both of these little ones (2 ½ and 3 ½ ) will lick their bowls clean. They savor every single bite. And with the other food we give them, they bellies are satisfied.

The word savor also means to delight, enjoy, or relish.


Our hearts should take delight in God and His Word as Paul’s did, “My inner being delights in the law of God.” (Romans 7:22 GNT) The Greek definition of delight means to delight with oneself inwardly in a thing, to rejoice in with oneself, feel satisfaction concerning something.

*We savor steak, chocolate, and homemade bread.
*We delight in vacations, pay raises, and ball games.
*We enjoy concerts, movies, and books.
*We relish being patted on the back, winning a game, and beating out the other guy for that big promotion.

Why is it that we tingle with delight for our taste buds to savor that delectable, warm-out-of-the-oven piece of bread or piece of chocolate, but we cannot tingle with delight to savor God’s delectable Word, that Bread of Life?

As the Bread of Life, Jesus said, “There is far more to your inner life than the food you put in your stomach” (Luke 12:23a Msg), and there is more to your inner life than the things you do.

We are to savor the Life within us,
filling ourselves with that Bread so our spiritual bellies feel full and satisfied.

My prayer is as David’s, “Blessed Lord, teach me Your rules. I have recited Your laws and rejoiced in them more than in riches. I will meditate upon them and give them my full respect. I will delight in them and not forget them.” (Ps. 119:12-16 TLB) Is it your prayer as well?http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif

Mmmm...I’ve chosen to savor His Word and His presence. Have you? Is your belly full and satisfied?

"Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!"
(Ps. 34:8a NKJV)




Today, I'm taking part in the Christianwriters.com blog chain. Please check out the other participants listed in the right sidebar.

Also with...

On In Around button


Share/Save/Bookmark
39 Responses
  1. Debra Says:

    Hi Lynn, yes, this too is my prayer. Enjoyed your comparison of delectable food (mouth-watering descriptions here ;-) and God’s Word. Taste and see that the Lord is good!


  2. Jack Brown Says:

    wonderful post. you got my mouth watering straight away with the Italian food and then i had to laugh with the little ones savouring their Yoghurt.
    may you and yours be blessed real good as you savour today (specially how God brings you through the bad bits)


  3. Pegg Thomas Says:

    Ouch! Guilty! I need to learn to savor the Bread of Life with the same visceral emotion warm bread from the oven brings. I never thought of it quite that way before.


  4. Great post Lynn! I always look forward to your words.


  5. A very fun post and a great reminder. So, basically, I want to be "FAT AND HAPPY" in Christ!


  6. E. G. Lewis Says:

    What a post! Leave it to you to describe such a wonderful meal. Tiramisu...(sniff)and I gave up sweets for Lent. Such sweet torture.
    Peace and Blessings


  7. Unknown Says:

    Thank you Lynn- what a tasty treat so early in the day!


  8. Anonymous Says:

    Hi Lynn - great analogy. I love my food, I love the word. I need to savour it more
    God bless
    Tracy


  9. I was thinking of your question: "Why is it that we tingle with delight for our taste buds to savor that delectable, warm-out-of-the-oven piece of bread or piece of chocolate, but we cannot tingle with delight to savor God’s delectable Word, that Bread of Life?"

    I don't know. There are times when God just hits me with an inexpressible feeling of love, sometimes the "feeling" follows after I obey in some regard. Other times there is no feeling. While I cherish those moments where I can feel God's presence,I know that is not the essence of my walk with Him.


  10. Bill Jones Says:

    Thanks Lynn - excellent post and good reminder that we are to savor God's Word.


  11. I know some people don't like "The Message" translation but in your example, “There is far more to your inner life than the food you put in your stomach” (Luke 12:23a Msg), it really has impact.


  12. chris Says:

    Always hungry for more of His word Lynn, thank you :-)


  13. Steve Says:

    Hey, Lynn.

    I feel the same way when I feast on God's Word. I have learned to savor every morsel in my studies.


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Debra, thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it. I'm so glad you mentioned "taste and see that the Lord is good!" I forgot to put that in there and had to go back and insert it. Thank you s-o-o-o-o much! Bless you!


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Hey, Jack! I made myself drool over it all! And those little ones are a hoot! Thanks so much for stopping by! Blessings to you!


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Pegg, I think we're all guilty! Thanks so much for your comment. So glad to hear from you. Bless you!


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, thank you, Debra! You are always so kind. Bless you!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Carol, you are a hoot! I love your quips. You always make me giggle! Thank you. Blessings to you!


  19. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL So sorry, Edward! Thanks so much for stopping by. Bless you!


  20. lynnmosher Says:

    Aww, thank you so much, Terrie! So sweet of you. I appreciate your taking time to comment. Blessings to you!


  21. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Tracy! Thank you so much for taking time to visit. I deeply appreciate your comment. Blessings!


  22. lynnmosher Says:

    So true, Mike! I think that happens to all of us. Our feelings should never be our guide. Thanks so much for your visit and your comment. I appreciate it. Bless you!


  23. lynnmosher Says:

    Bill, thank you so much for taking time to visit and comment. Makes my heart happy. Bless you!


  24. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Christine! I love some parts of The Message but not others. We just have to remember that it's not a translation but a paraphrase. I agree with you. It works in some instances, as it did here. Thanks so much for your comment! Blessings go you!


  25. lynnmosher Says:

    Chris, I'm with you! Always hungry for more of the Word. Love digging for treasure! Thanks so much for stopping by. Appreciate it. Blessings to you!


  26. Sounds like you have a wonderful time with your husband at your favourite restaurant.

    My wife and I rarely go out, but when we do, we like to go to an all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant. We went there on our most recent anniversary and had a great time.

    I like the way you talk about savouring the word of God in the same way that we savour food. Thanks for the encouragement.


  27. lynnmosher Says:

    Hello, Steve! So nice to have you visit. So glad you are savoring. That's the best, isn't it? Thank you so much for commenting. Blessings to you!


  28. To savor God's delectible word -- to tingle with delight in His Presence -- what could possibly be greater than that? Oh...we miss so much sometimes when we settle for enjoying the things of the earth when we could be savoring the gifts of Heaven. Beautiful, Lynn!


  29. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Adam! So glad you liked it. Glad you and your wife had a great anniversary. Thanks so much for stopping by. Blessings to you!


  30. Unknown Says:

    Great post, Lynn. :) Now you have me craving warm bread and a curl-up read of my daily devotion. :)


  31. MGalloway Says:

    Good post and good reminder. Now I'm hungry!


  32. Hungry. Gotta go. ;) Thanks, Lynn!!


  33. Pam Mosher Says:

    Lovely Post Lynn! How sweet to feast at the table of God's Word! Pam Mosher


  34. Tracy Krauss Says:

    There have been some great comparisons so far this month. thanks for another thought provoking post Lynn. Blessings as always!


  35. Kristena Says:

    I really like your post here. The beginning had my mouth watering. It just sounds yummy. But then I liked how you were able to tie it in nicely with God and His word. Very nicely done.


  36. Macaroni Girll is one of my husband and my favorite restraunts as well. That, and McGrath's Fish House. There is so much to savor in life if we only choose to look for the delicious, instead of only focusing on the bitter. Great post, as always, Lynn!


  37. Traci B Says:

    Can't believe no one dropped the obvious wordplay into the comments, so I'll do it: Great post, Lynn. A lot of good food for thought here. ;)

    In Ezekiel 3:3, we're told that God directed the prophet in a vision to eat a scroll, then speak God's words to the people of Israel: "And He said to me, Son of man, eat this scroll that I give you and fill your stomach with it. Then I ate it, and it was as sweet as honey in my mouth."

    Just as you and your hubby filled your bellies with all that good food, we're supposed to fill our soul's belly with the Bread of Life. Must admit, there are days when I'm running on Bread crumbs, but when I do take time to sit at the banquet table, it's always good for my soul.


  38. lynnmosher Says:

    Nona, Mike, Rachel, Pam, Tracy, Kristena, Ceci, and Traci...

    I am so sorry I haven't responded sooner. I haven't been feeling well. Weather changes and fibro don't like each other. Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments. I deeply appreciate each and every one of you. Blessings to you!


  39. Great analogy, Lynn! Loved it!