Thursday, April 19

Leaning Side


An account, whether true or not, is told in Streams in the Desert of an old, southern deacon who would always end his prayers with, “Lord, prop us up on every leaning side.” 

When asked why he prayed that way, he answered, “Well, sir, you see, it’s like this…I got an old barn out back. It’s been there a long time; it’s withstood a lot of weather. It’s gone through a lot of storms, and it has stood for many years. 

“It’s still standing, but one day I noticed it was leaning to one side a bit, so I went and got some pine poles and propped it up on its leaning side so it wouldn’t fall. Then, I got to thinking about that and how much I was like that old barn. I’ve been around a long time. I’ve withstood a lot of hard times, and I’m still standing, too, but I find myself leaning to one side from time to time, so I like to ask the Lord to prop us up on our leaning side, ’cause I figure a lot of us get to leaning at times.” 

A lot of us do get to leaning at times. We begin to lean the wrong way, toward depression, discouragement, giving up, anger, unforgiveness, bitterness, addiction, or whatever. 

Solomon tells us where not to lean, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” (Prov. 3:5-6 NKJV) 

If we lean, let’s lean upon our Beloved as the disciple John did, “Now there was leaning on Jesus’ bosom one of His disciples, whom Jesus loved” (John 13:23 NKJV), and be as the Shulamite, “Who is this coming up from the wilderness, leaning upon her beloved?” (Song 8:5 NKJV) 

Do you have a tendency to lean? Who or what props you up?

 
Reflections of His Grace
<Reflections of His Grace
Share/Save/Bookmark
25 Responses
  1. Terra Says:

    I like this preacher's story about the leaning side, and who will faithfully prop us up more than Jesus!


  2. How often I have been propped up I can't begin to tell you. But it gives me such peace to know that God will always surround us with what we need to keep us upright.

    God bless! And thank you for being someone who has served to prop me up occasionally. :)


  3. Denise Says:

    I love this story! :) Sometimes it seems that I am blocked in every direction, but I try and use each setback and disappointment as a "cue" to push on ahead with more determination than ever before! :)

    Blessings and hugs!
    Denise


  4. Penny Zeller Says:

    I love this post, Lynn. You always have the best posts and I really liked the visual!


  5. lynnmosher Says:

    Terra, I love the preacher's story as well. And you're right...Jesus is our best crutch! Thanks so much for stopping by! Bless you!


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Michael, you are so sweet. Thank you for your kind words. It is encouraging to know that all we have to do is lean in the Lord's direction and He leans back! So glad you stopped by! Blessings to you!


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Denise, I so agree. So happy to see you here. Thank you, sweetie, for visiting. Bless you!


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Penny, you are such a great encouragement. Bless you, dear one!


  9. Fliterary Says:

    I'm leaning, but leaning on The everlasting arms!

    Hugs to you, sweet Lynn!


  10. I just love this and won't soon forget it. Thank you.


  11. Joan Hall Says:

    Lynn:

    Last night I came home after Bible study. We had just finished Beth Moore's 8 week study on the book of James. In the last lesson, she had us write a verse from each of the five books that spoke to us. One of the verses I selected was the one about asking without wavering so as not to be double minded.

    When I got home, my husband called from his job to say he was having back pain and muscle spasms. Although I began praying, I began to let those little doubts creap in. I was definately leaning on the wrong side!

    Blessings,
    Joan


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Amen, Lisa-girl! Amen! Love those welcoming Arms! Thanks, sweetie! Bless you!


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Brandee, thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I deeply appreciate it. Bless you!


  14. Mommy Emily Says:

    thank you for this gentle yet powerful reminder. blessings lynn. e.


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Joan, just when we think we have a spiritual element down pat, it slips away from us. We have to stay focused and aware all the time, don't we? Whew! Thanks so much for stopping by. Bless you!


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Emily! So sweet of you to visit and comment. Makes my heart happy! Bless you!


  17. Dawn Wilson Says:

    I've always loved that illustration. Leaning ... hmmm... I tend to lean on my own understanding in things I'm "good at," but then the Lord sometimes allows me to fall flat on my face so I remember to lean no matter what!



  18. Well said, Lynn. You and other believers prop me up--sometimes just knowing you all are out there and praying for me.


  19. Lynn, that is a beautiful picture! Yep, I lean a great deal. I have some online friends who help bolster me up when I'm having a hard time standing straight. Just like Aaron and Hur who held up Moses' arms before the battling armies, I rest in these sweet sisters (and my husband) to give me their strength when mine is waning.

    Praise God for the body of Christ!!

    Loving your blog!!


  20. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Dawn, I think my nose is flat from falling on face so much! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. Love seeing you! Blessings to you!


  21. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Pammy-girl! Thanks so much for the comment, sweetie! Bless you!


  22. lynnmosher Says:

    Carol, it is nice to know that others will prop us up when we need it, isn't it? I'll always be your prop whenever you need me! Bless you!


  23. lynnmosher Says:

    Hello, Kate! So nice to have you visit. I'm honored. What would we do without our propper-uppers? LOL Thanks so much for commenting. Bless you!


  24. This is just so powerful.