Tuesday, August 26

Are You a Ready Bride?

He shuffled his feet and wiped his sweaty palms on his jacket. His face twitched, producing a peculiar, cockeyed smile.

Then, the bride began her promenade down the aisle, and the groom’s whole body radiated with delight. They were so anxious and concerned to look their best for each other. All decked out in their wedding finery, he, fit to meet the bride; she, fit to meet the bridegroom.

As I sat in the chapel praying for them, the thought occurred to me: Jesus is fit and ready to meet me, His Bride, but am I fit and ready to meet Him, my Bridegroom? Am I anxious and concerned about the way I am dressed for my divine wedding day? Will He recognize me?

Would you recognize the bride if she came down the aisle dressed as a rabbit, or in a diving suit, or perhaps in a nun’s habit? No, of course not. She would be totally out of place. A bride is dressed in the proper wedding attire and you recognize her the minute you see her, because she has donned her bridal finery.

If Jesus died that the church, His bride, might be without spot or wrinkle or any other defect, then, as part of the Bride, how am I dressed? When the heavenly Bridegroom arrives, will I be dressed in an old rag, spotted with worldly residue? Or will I be a bride beautifully dressed for her Husband in a spotless gown of holiness?

What am I doing to keep myself pure and holy, ready to have my Bridegroom carry me across that heavenly threshold? Will He radiate with delight in me, as His bride? If you have ever been to a wedding, you know all eyes are watching the bride, but I always love to watch the groom.

Just to see the expression on his face, changing from one of nervous disaster to one of pure delight. Love beams from his face, as his precious bride gracefully heads in his direction. The glint in his eye.

And, if you were to look very closely into his eyes, you would see that the glint is her reflection. I ask you…Do you wish be dressed in that pure gown of holiness when you Bridegroom comes calling for you? Will He recognize you? Will you be the reflection in His eyes? Will you be a ready bride?

Lord, Your love spanned the ages, knowing one day I would say “yes” to Your proposal and receive my pure wedding garment of holiness. May I love You enough in return to keep that gown unsullied from the world and meet You in holiness on the day of Your return. May I be that precious reflection in Your eyes and may I be continually dressed and ready to go at a moment’s notice. Amen!

4 Responses
  1. Tanya Says:

    I wrote a post along these lines about a year ago maybe. My 4-yea-old daughter is obsessed with weddings. She has been since she could first pronounce the word. She wanders around the house worrying whether or not she'll ever meet a man to marry her and what dress she'll wear and what kind of flowers and food they'll have that day. As one who threw together her wedding in less than two months, this amazes me -- and challenges me. She will likely spend the next twenty years or so preparing for one day, the day she will be a bride and marry the man God has chosen for her. The question is not just about whether or not we're prepared, but how thoroughly we're prepared. Are we spending the time to prepare that Christ deserves? Are evaluating every detail? You've sparked some good thoughts, Lynn.


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    Tanya, I l-o-v-e what you wrote about your daughter. It is such a hoot to think of a 4 year old concerned with this and, yet, it is sobering that she is more concerned about that special day with her bridegroom than most Christians are about their special day with their Bridegroom. I can tell you are a very godly mother who is training her child in the way she should go. Thank you and be blessed...


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Great reflections about living holy and being properly dressed and prepared for out Bridegroom.


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Courtney, Thank you so much for taking time to read my devotion and leave a comment. I deeply appreciate it and am blessed that you did so. Blessings to you...