Tuesday, January 13

Healing or Not?


“Have compassion on me, LORD, for I am weak. Heal me, LORD, for my body is in agony. I am sick at heart. How long, O LORD, until You restore me? Return, O LORD, and rescue me. Save me because of Your unfailing love.” (Ps 6:2-4a NLT)

Have you ever cried out to God like David did? A relentless condition that displays itself spiritually may besiege us and is sometimes healed more quickly than one that is physical in nature. We realize that, in time, God always heals our spirits, if we allow Him.

However, we all wonder why God physically heals some people and not others. This question of life does not automatically receive an adequate answer for God does not always pull back heaven’s curtain to permit us a peek backstage into the scripted plot of His plan of action.

Recently, I read a passage of scripture that had previously escaped my notice and, in a strange way, has helped me in wrestling with this question. Concealed in a story in John 5, it relates the healing of the lame man at the pool of Bethesda.

Arriving for one of the Jewish feasts, Jesus entered Jerusalem, possibly through the Sheep Gate, for it was from here that He strolled to the pool of Bethesda. This is what He saw…

A gathering of people, amassed around the fringe of Bethesda’s pool. The blind stood with the deaf. The withered sat with the weak and feeble. The diseased leaned against the porch pillars. The crippled laid on mats. All anticipated the disturbance of the water, waiting to be the first to jump in and be healed, like a flock of seagulls, hovering over a fishing dock, ready to swoop down for the catch of the day.

Jesus saw only one person. His eyes locked onto a man paralyzed for 38 years and lying on a mat. As He approached the man, He leaned over and asked him, “Would you like to be well?”

The man looked up into the most extraordinary eyes he had ever seen. “Sir,” he said, “I have no one to help me into the pool when the water stirs, so someone always jumps in ahead of me.”

With a voice of power that could easily stir the waters on its own, Jesus said, “Stand up! Pick up your mat and start walking!” As the man jumped up, the prickly sensation of healing surged through his limbs.

Nothing is said of any other healings. I wonder why not. Did those there just stare at Jesus in bewilderment? Did they focus only on the water, awaiting their turn? Did they desire not to be healed? Were they afraid?

Maybe God desired no further healings because they would have endangered Jesus’ life even more, for the Jews sought to kill Him for healing just this one man on the Sabbath. What might they have done if He had healed everyone? For whatever reason, it was God’s purpose not to heal any others at that moment.

In my relentless physical condition, I no longer feel adrift on a sea of doubt, wondering why I am not healed. Whether I am or not, I remain part of God’s purpose and praise Him for it. He has whispered to my spirit that He will heal me and I trust Him to keep His promise, as I hold His hand like a child holds its father’s hand in trust to cross a dangerous intersection. I know that healing is still in my future, whether it comes while I am here on earth or in heaven.

Some are not healed for various reasons, and some are not. God knows them all.

~~Blessings, Lynn~~
13 Responses
  1. Sita Says:

    Lynn,
    My heart resonates with this post--great insight on that passage.
    I invite you to pop by an amazing blog I just discovered where the author has written a post entitled "The Job Crucible"...may it minister to you..
    http://mla-crownofglory.blogspot.com/


  2. Thanks Lynn for touching on such a much debated subject. I have personally prayed for so many sick people and sometimes they got well, sometimes they got worse, sometimes they died! I still believe healing is God's will for mankind and I keep 'bugging' Him with my studies and questions, a life long quest probably...
    Although (my) results vary, I will never give up on the great commission He gave us!
    Thanks Lynn, I pray you will receive your healing in this lifetime!


  3. lynnmosher Says:

    Sita, Thanks so much for the comment and the link. Will get over there. Bless you...


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Marja! I loved your comment. I also absolutely believe God's will is for healing, and yes, LOL, I keep bugging Him, too! So glad you keep at it! Thanks for the prayer for healing...here!

    Hugs and blessings to you...


  5. Barbara Says:

    I have been struggling with this question for some time. Twice God has healed me and I have a friend who has been struggling with cancer for three years. We went through treatment together. I am in remission and she is still sick. Jeremiah 29:11 is my strength but I still pray for her healing. Some day my answer will come.


  6. This is a great post that speaks of a question so many have about healing. I have found that there are different types of healing. I used to think God wasn't healing me, then I realized that when I had a new problem or worsening of my condition and then it improved, God was healing. When I reached a point of spiritual, mental and emotional health, that was truly the best healing of all! God knows what is best for each of us and we can learn and grow through it all when we have faith. Thank you for sharing your faith and insights, Lynn!


  7. Lorrie Says:

    Another wonderful post Lynn. I like the perspective very much. You've been on my prayer list for awhile. I believe!


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Barbara, It is one of those mysteries of the Christian life, isn't it? I'm glad you have been healed and will pray for your friend. Blessings to you...


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Connie, You're so right. We are healed in many ways but we don't always recognize it. I'm so glad God has been healing you. I pray for total healing for you. Be blessed...


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, sweet Lorrie! You always make my heart so happy! Oh, how I appreciate your precious prayers. Thank you so much! You're on my list also. Blessings...


  11. Unknown Says:

    Bless you! What a wonderful post!!It reminds of 2 Corinthians 12:7-10where Paul relates the story of asking for his "thorn in the flesh" to be healed three times and God says "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." I hold onto that verse when my fibromyalgia flares up. I know that however I feel, God is in control and I can rely on HIs strength to make it through.


  12. I have had those same questions, then when I decided to concentrate on getting closer to God, I got better but I have always said I will be healed, I just prefer this side of heaven. You have a great attitude.


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Stuff...I quite understand. I feel the same way. Thank you so much for taking time to read and comment on this. You bless me! May the Lord bless you...