Sunday, January 4

Homeless


Have you ever been homeless? In this economy, you might be close to experiencing it. I’ve been close to it…three times.

The dictionaries all give the same description…having no home, lacking permanent residence. However, the condition of being homeless implies different things to different people.

Some see the homeless, who sleep under a viaduct or in a cardboard box as a make-shift shelter, as those who refuse to work, choosing to spend their time in a bottle.

Others sometimes see them as poor or mentally ill people who, sadly enough, are unable to maintain a work life to support himself/herself, much less a family.

With the current upheaval in the financial world, this segment of society will probably be growing by record numbers. Many are being ejected from their homes on a daily basis. Many have had the proverbial rug pulled out from under them, leaving them with no place to turn for shelter but their cars.

Therefore, this concept of the homeless is reforming, and, because of this, the perception of some toward the homeless needs altering as well.

What will your attitude be toward them? One of disdain or contempt (which means to think unworthy of notice or response), or will it be one of favor, love, and respect, thinking you could be one or two steps away from the same thing? Will it be a hand-out or a hand-up? Or no hand at all?

Though we, too, may be affected by this crazy economy, isn’t there something we can do without in order to help someone else? That’s what I’m going to figure out.

My heart has been so touched by a young homeless girl and her mother. I’m a giver at heart, and when I see someone in a desperate situation, my natural reaction is to help. However, my bank account usually disagrees with me! And this saddens me deeply. So I pray. Not that prayer is my last resort, not by a long shot. Prayer is always my first action, but I always desire to do more.

Because of the initial and ongoing efforts of Christian suspense author Brandilyn Collins, the plight of these two has become a mushrooming story of assistance, even making national news.

If you don’t believe Christian fiction can be used for the Lord, then you need to take a look at this. Brandilyn writes, “Liz has been a reader of my suspense novels for four to five years now. She has been struggling financially for some time. Each time a book of mine released, I’d send her a free copy. Liz would always reply with a handwritten, gracious letter. She’s been wonderfully encouraging to me.”

You can catch all the updates on Brandilyn’s blog…Forensics and Faith.

Another key person is Julie Bonn Heath Marketing. You can read her posts here...JBHMarketing

You can also read 16 year old Katy’s posts on her blog, called Destination Anywhere but Here… DestinationAnywhereButHere.

When Brandilyn heard from Liz, she went straight to her resources, the people. She spread the word and many giving people have responded. So far, money has been donated and Katy and Liz have been on two local networks, CNN, and Good Morning America will air an interview with them sometime in the next few days. You can keep up to date on it all on Brandilyn’s blog.

Paul wrote to the Philippians, “Don’t be selfish; don’t live to make a good impression on others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourself. Don’t think only about your own affairs, but be interested in others, too, and what they are doing.” (Phil. 2:3-4 NLT)

Has this been your attitude toward the homeless? If not, do you think it will change if your neighbor becomes homeless, or you do?

So, will you consider the plight of others, how degraded and lost they may feel and try to help rebuild their lives with a donation? Can you give them back their confidence, or encourage them, give them love, hope, and your prayers? Can you replenish another’s life in some way? Whatever you are able to do for another, I know the Lord will bless you.

~~Blessings, Lynn~~
18 Responses
  1. Lynn, thank you so much for spreading the story about Katy and Liz. Caring people like you have made all the difference! Blessings, ~ Brandilyn


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks, Brandilyn! I am so honored to be able to do this. Thank you for all your work. Blessings...


  3. God is changing my attitude and perspective about a lot of things this year...and this is just helping to put a face on a need the church ignores all too often. I'm honored to be a small part in such a big, God honoring effort.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    Thank you for being a part of the team, Lynn. It does indeed take a village!


  5. lynnmosher Says:

    Deena, I think must be up to something. He's working on many of us! May He fill your New Year with an abundance of blessings and an outpouring of His presence...


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    You're right, Julie! The more the better! Thanks so much for all you are doing. Blessings to you...


  7. Sita Says:

    Lynn, there have been a couple of TV movies lately that highlight the problem of homelessness. The notion that 'That could never be me' was addressed. One person siad "I'm probably 3 paycheques away from that"..in other words, "but for the grace of God, there goes I"...
    May God open the eyes of our churches to reach out as God commanded...thanks for highlighting this..
    (btw...love Brandilyn's books!...good to see what she is doing...)


  8. Rita Gerlach Says:

    My heart and prayers are with Liz and Katy.

    I think of the verses in Matthew:

    For I was an hungry, and you gave me meat: I was thirsty, and you gave me drink: I was a stranger, and you took me in: Naked, and you clothed me: I was sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when did we see you hungry, and fed you, or thirsty, and gave you a drink? When did we see you a stranger, and take you in? Or naked, and clothed you? Or when did we see you sick, or in prison, and came unto you?
    And the King shall answer and say to them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, you have done it to me.


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks, Sita, for being such a sweet follower. Hopefully, or should I say, prayerfully, we will all have our eyes opened to helping our "neighbor"! Blessings to you...


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Rita, You are so right about the scripture. I've slapped myself in the head for not thinking of it! Blessings to you in the New Year...


  11. Lynn this also has been a burden that I have always had on my heart. I can not see someone homeless and not try to help them if I can. Obviously I can't help every homeless person that I pass..but I have tried to be obedient to help the ones that the Lord has put in my path.

    I have been homeless before and had to jump from home to home when my daughter was a small child. It is a terrible feeling.I will never forget those times.

    Today it is quite clear to me that when we help the homeless and share the love of Christ with them we are actually helping Jesus.


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Hello, pretty lady Lisa! Kuddos to you for having a giving heart, precipitated by your own previous homeless condition. I pray things have drastically improved for you. Thanks for being a special follower. Blessings...Lynn


  13. Anne Says:

    Lovely. The homeless are the ones Jesus hung out with when He was homeless! I loved the scriptures you picked out. Another comment -- we support our Salvation Army, which supports many homeless in our town. This year they had very limited clothing and food to give.
    Anne


  14. Renae Says:

    Oh, Lynn. This is such a great story, and a great reminder that ANY of us could fall on misfortune. I can get so wrapped up in my own little world that I forget to notice others' difficulties. Thanks so much for this reminder.


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Anne, Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. You bless me. I love the Salvation Army. We give to them every year. I know all charities are suffering now, unfortunately. Blessings to you...


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, sweet Renae with the cute new hair cut! Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. It so blesses my heart when others do that. Yes, we could all be homeless, however, I always have to remind myself that I still have my true cottage waiting for me...my heavenly Home! Blessings to you...


  17. Lorrie Says:

    Thank you for this post Lynn. Very passionately written. We can never take anything for granted!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Lorrie, Thanks for always being there. I deeply appreciate your comments. And you're so right...we can never take anything for granted. Blessings...