Wednesday, May 13

What is a BFF?

The other day, I read something in one of my devotionals that made me stop and think. That’s what a good devotional is supposed to do, right? I won’t tell you what it was just yet.

I am mainly writing this as a reminder for myself. However, you are certainly welcome to hop in my little red wagon and come along for the ride with me! (Pay attention: I’ll have a question for you at the end!)

Because of what I read, I asked myself…

What is a BFF?


Because of today’s method of rapid communication, text messages have taken over and now have their own set of abbreviations. BFF means best friend forever.

Therefore, I asked myself…

If I have a BFF, do I always expect that friend to be doing things for me?


…or…

Do I take time to do things for this friend? How do I treat this BFF?


Here’s a list of things that I asked myself. It is, by no means, complete.

Do I…

*keep in touch with her/him?
*watch her/his kids when needed?
*offer comfort when grief attacks?
*share from my heart with her/him?
*try to bring healing to scarred past?
*see that I speak or act out the Word?
*give food or clothes in time of need?
*give her/him little surprises occasionally?
*listen when she/he is misunderstood by others?
*stand shoulder to shoulder through all her/his trials?
*take her/him to an appointment if she/he needs a ride?
*seek to bring peace to her/him from the stings of the world’s arrows?
*tell her/him that I love her/him, that I would lay down my life for her/him?
*speak lovingly to her/him to bring understanding of those who love her/him not?
*pray for my BFF?

So, if I ask myself, who my BFF is, what would be my answer?


My husband (or wife)? My female (or male) friend? My mother or father?

What happens if I ask myself the above questions and reference them to my relationship to Jesus? Does He show up on my list? Is He at the top of the list?

So, this is what the devotional did for my thinking: If the old saying is true…to have a friend, you must be a friend…and if Jesus is my BFF, then how do I treat Him?

Do I…

*keep in touch with Him?
*offer to help His children?
*speak or act out the Word?
*share from my heart with Him?
*carry on a conversation in prayer with Him?
*give comfort to Him for the hurts of those who love Him not?
*tell Him that I love Him, that I would lay down my life for Him?

Two of the people in Jesus’ life that I would consider His BFFs are Mary, sister of Martha and Lazarus, and the disciple John. Would we treat Jesus as they did?

Do we lean upon our Best Friend’s breast as John the beloved did, just to be near Him, or sit at His feet as Mary did, just to serve Him in worship by pouring out our thanks and our tears as fragrant oil upon His body?

Here’s your question: Who is your BFF?


May Jesus be your…Best Friend Forever!


~~Blessings, Lynn~~
5 Responses
  1. Walk Says:

    Forever, that word has such a temporal meaning when we apply it to this life on earth. It changes dramatically when we apply it to Jesus and worshipping Him for all eternity. Good devotion that makes me stop and evaluate. Blessings.


  2. Sheila Deeth Says:

    My best friends are those who pick up the conversation even after years of silence as if we'd never been apart. (Comes of moving from one country to another...)

    And my BFF is surely the one who will eventually welcome me home. (One country to another again...)


  3. I'm re-evaluating a lot of my commitments, and this is wonderful food for thought. I don't do many things on your list, mostly because I don't have time. But it's time to change that.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    What a beautiful post Lynn...and so true! Truly one of my very best friends in real life is also one of my "virtual" Twitter friends -- Debba Haupert who is the founder of http://girlfriendology.com - She teaches the value of friendship and she truly walks the walk. When it really comes down to it, my real BFF is Jesus. He has stuck by me at my very worst and always will. The more I know Him, the deeper I love Him! My other BFF is my husband.


  5. 1st: My BFF is truly the Lord Jesus Christ. There is just no dough about it. 2nd: Would be my mother the Lord reflects through her like a mirror.
    Thank you, Lynn for this thought provoking topic. A brother in Christ,