Monday, August 23

Out of the Mouths of Babes!

photo courtesy of Ernesto JT @flickr

***I temporarily interrupt the Behave Like a Christian series (as I boo-booed on my schedule) to bring you this post.***

A couple of years ago, my sister-in-law sent me a conversation that took place between her and her then seven-year-old grandson, David. I have had this sitting in the file, waiting for the right occasion to pass it on. This is it.

My sister-in-law wrote this to me…

I have to share a conversation I had with David today after school. I hope they penetrate deeply and make me more aware of some things, some of which are the importance of friendships and family.

Here goes:

When we had tornado warnings a few nights ago, David called here very concerned. He wanted me to go to the basement. He then wanted to talk to Pop Pop. The speaker phone was on so I was able to hear him say, “Pop Pop, there’s going to be another storm coming through after midnight. Will you stay up and watch the weather and get MiMi up then and take her to the basement?”

It touched my heart. Well, today when I was with him he brought the storms up again and asked if I went to the basement. I answered yes. He said, “I cried all night. I hardly slept.”

“Why, David? God will take care of us.”

He replied, “Because I was so afraid I was going to come to your house and find you dead!”

I don’t know how to tell you that impacted me. I was deeply touched but I also wanted to reassure him that I would always be okay. I was also stunned as he has never known death other than his goldfish, Mece.

I told him that, when I did die, I would be in heaven with Jesus. He said he knew that but he was concerned he would forget me.

“How could you forget Mimi, David?” I asked.

Here are the words that completely pierced me. He said, “When someone has been gone awhile we can forget them. We can forget them because it’s been a long time since they died, or we can get distracted and forget them.”

I immediately thought of how we get too busy for the people who really are important to us in our lives. I also thought of Jesus and how He died a long time ago and how sometimes I get too distracted and I forget Him.

I whispered, “I hear You, Lord.” I then went on to tell David everything was alright and changed the subject.

Pop Pop and I talked about these words of David’s tonight. He thought those were really deep words for a seven year old. I still think it was also the Holy Spirit speaking to me, “Remember what is important, (name), and remember Who is really important.”

“When I think of the wisdom and scope of his plan, I fall down on my knees and pray to the Father of all the great family of God-some of them already in heaven and some down here on earth.” (Eph. 3:14-15 TLB)

*This has been part of One Word Blog Carnival at Bridget Chumbley’s site on Children. Check it out for the other posters.



Share/Save/Bookmark
24 Responses
  1. Yes out of the mouths of babes. I felt so sad as I was reading it. How important it is to spend time with loved ones while we can. Life goes by so quickly. My niece, who is like a daughter to me, is getting married over Labor Day weekend. Time has gone by so quickly.

    Blessings and love to you,
    Debbie


  2. Teresa Says:

    This so blesses my heart! Thank you for posting this!!! Out of the mouth and babes and nursing infants, God has ordained strength! (Psalm 8)...You are lovely! Teresa


  3. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, sweet Debbie! Time does fly by, doesn't it? I remember when our first kiddo was born. Someone told me, "Enjoy him while he's little because he'll be grown before you know it." I didn't believe her! And now, with that kiddo at 41, I believe her! Blessings to you!


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Teresa! Man, I wish I had remembered to use that verse. This fibro-fog forgetfulness drives me batty! I hate it! Would have been the perfect ending verse! Thank you so much! Be blessed!


  5. What a precious story.

    I have been worried that my daughters would forget their Grandpa Lee, who died in January last year. We talk about him regularly, and I made special photo albums for each of them so they would always remember him.

    Thank you for sharing, Lynn.


  6. Anonymous Says:

    I love the sweetness and unconditional love of children. This is a beautiful story... thanks for sharing, Lynn.


  7. MTJ Says:

    Hi Lynn,

    I find myself humbled (often) by the observations, caring sensitivity of (-grand)children.

    I enjoyed reading this post.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, Jennifer! What a sweet idea. I hope your girls will always have those precious memories. Thanks so much. Blessings to you!


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Bridget! I appreciate it! Be blessed!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    MTJ, I so agree! Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. Bless you!


  11. ". . . or we can get distracted and forget them.”

    Lord, help me to be distracted by the right things, and not to forget the things that are important.

    Thank you, David.


  12. We can learn so much from children, even in our own work and play.I found the words, "He said he knew that but he was concerned he would forget me" thought-provoking. It brings up emotions up from our own childhood on how we perceive life and living. Thanks for sharing my friend. Love, JoAnne


  13. Thank you Lynn, for a great post, I must have missed it the first time :)
    I think this is why Jesus says we have to become like children, not in our thinking, but certainly in our trust and faith!


  14. katdish Says:

    Thank you for sharing this story. What a great reminder. I tend to get way too distracted. Out of the mouth of babes, indeed.


  15. Joyce Says:

    I do think God often speak to us thru our children...I've learned much about Him from my own. They have a way of making me pay attention too. I think the title of your post says it all : )


  16. Such a great post. Out of the mouths of babes...So true
    kim


  17. April Says:

    Beautiful post! It's amazing how quickly our children, or grandchildren, humble us and remind us of the things that are most important1


  18. Ann Kroeker Says:

    Some friends of mine had the neatest idea to honor their mother/grandmother who passed away several years ago and would have been 100 years old this year, were she still alive.

    I plan to write about it soon, but it was fun, delightful, and honored her vivacious personality. I think we could all find variations on it that could reflect the person being honored.


  19. Ann Kroeker Says:

    (cont'd from previous comment) I think it's important in our hurry-up, rush-around world to find ways to remember, because we can let so many truly important things slip into the background.


  20. Unknown Says:

    Davis sounds very wise to me and we would be wise to heed his insight.
    Thanks for sharing!


  21. Unknown Says:

    Wonderful reminder. I lost a dear friend to cancer last year and think of her often because she taught me to live without regrets. I want to live with the kind of faith that she had and I'm so thankful for the friendship that we had in Christ.

    Thank you for sharing!


  22. Unknown Says:

    It IS so important to spend time with those you love and tell them you love them. My husband and I will be taking our daughter down to college over Labor Day weekend, making us official empty-nesters. Time has certainly flown by. I cherish the memories! God is so good! Blessings!


  23. Melissa_Rae Says:

    What a tender heart! Thanks for sharing this. :)


  24. lynnmosher Says:

    Forgive me. I haven't been able to get back to your sweet comments. Just want to say a special thank you to...

    Sandra, JoAnne, Marja, katdish, Joyce, Stuff/Kim, April Ann (awesome idea), JCDude, Heather sorry for the loss of your friend), Maria, and Melissa...

    The precious words of little ones send zingers to our grown-up hearts. I think the Lord nudges them to say some of those things!

    I appreciate all of you taking time to stop by and comment. You all bless me!