Monday, January 24

The Winter of My...


What does winter say to your heart?

“I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn’t show.”
~Andrew Wyeth

Winter is when...

* a season of rest ravages nature’s beauty.
* bare branches stand out as scary stickmen.
* blustery winds whip the last of the dead, fallen leaves...into the neighbor’s yard.
* the sky glooms in shades of gray.
* a vale of cold grief shrouds the land, interred in an intangible grave.
* all appears lost.

But deep inside the earth and plants, the sap of life quivers, quietly awaiting its appointed resurrection.

The Lord once said to me, “During the long winter months, when nature has seemingly lost all its beauty, life still flows deep within its darkest recesses. The trees appear naked and dead without their leaves and blooms. The ground seems hard and bare without the beauty of flowers and grass. But, in reality, life is ever-present, ever-flowing.

“It flows in the sap that is deep within the trees. It stirs within the seeds of flowers yet to bloom. Both are quietly at work, awaiting their appointed time to be awakened and spring to life...”


Do your trials appear as winter starkness? Tempestuous seasons of life swoop down upon us through storms of bereavement, affliction, or adversity, which can leave us heartbroken and lifeless.

What is your winter circumstance? The winter of my...my what? Would you fill in the blank with...

* scary stickmen of financial woes?
* blustery winds of divorce?
* gray clouds of depression?
* cold grief for the loss of a loved one?
* all appears lost?

In all your heartaches, do you sense the underlying rumbling of that divine sap of Life? God’s Spirit of regeneration still flows within you. Your time of renewal will come.

The Lord said, “Sometimes My people must also endure their long winter months of travail when their fruit seems to have withered and their branches seem bare. But deep within their roots, My Spirit moves with eternal life.

“All may seem dark, lost, and devoid of life and beauty, but, in such a life lived with Me, My work still goes on...Allow My Life to flow through you, especially in the darkest of times, so then will you be renewed.”


No winter is so warm or so cold as that which lies in the heart. As a twist on what Victor Hugo said, “Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart.”

Does your life feel as though you have lost all your beauty? Are the first signs of decay setting in, causing you to feel bare and fruitless? Has your inner strength diminished? Is your heart filled with the flowing of Eternal Life?

As you wait out those bleak seasons, expecting God’s answers and renewed inner beauty and strength, you can be assured it will come, as Isaiah said, “But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength.” (Is. 40:31 NKJV)

In the winter of your waiting...

...may you experience a time of renewal.
...may your winter blossom with new life.
...may your heartache be massaged into joy.

“Behold, I am doing a new thing.
Now it springs forth.”
(Is. 43:19a Amp)


This post is part of the One Word Blog Carnival at PeterPollock.com on the topic of winter. Check out Peter's site for some great entries.


Share/Save/Bookmark
24 Responses
  1. Peter P Says:

    I like the post... but I really can't get over how awesome your blog background is.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    an uplifting and wonderful post.


  3. Tracy Krauss Says:

    Your eloquent winter metaphor was so thought provoking an beautiful. Winter can be so refreshing. Ther is nothing like the crisp, clean air and the 'aliveness' of one's sense on a wintery walk.


  4. katdish Says:

    Ah...just what my heart needed today. Thanks, Lynn.


  5. Seems so poetic, Lynn. I love it. Thank You, LORD!


  6. Anonymous Says:

    A beautiful way to see winter. I shall be looking at my 7 ft snow mountain that embraces my driveway differently today. :)
    "...life is ever present" Love this. Thank you.


  7. Great post Lynn, very uplifting! Your new blog lay out is awesome, I LOVE it, I feel right at home :)
    Many blessings, my friend.


  8. Glynn Says:

    We think of winter as a dead time, but it's really the time of rest and hibernation -- necessary for the spring to come. Good post.


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, thanks so much, Peter! Needed a facelift for some time...the blog! I need one, too! LOL Blessings to you!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Nance Marie, thanks! I appreciate your comment. And I love the hat! Blessings to you! :D


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Tracy! You are so right. And I love the quiet that comes after a beautiful snowfall! Thanks for your comment. Blessing to you!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Kat, it always blesses my heart to see you here! Thanks so much for dropping by. Blessings to you! :D


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Kimberly! Thanks so much, sweetie! Makes my heart happy! Blessings to you!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Lynn, would love to see your snow mountain! Thanks so much for taking time to drop by and leave a comment. Blessings to you!


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Glynn! Thank you! I'm honored you stopped by. Blessings to you! :D


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, sweet Marja! And glad you like the new look! Always happy to see you! Blessings to you!


  17. Pegg Thomas Says:

    Lynn, you get all poetic and writerly about winter. I posted about winter too, but used terms like "booger freezin'"... *sigh*


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Pegg, I like that! I'll hop over and check out your *booger freezin'* post! Thanks for visting! Blessings to you! :D


  19. Beautiful post, my friend.

    I am loving the stillness of winter this year. The slowing down. The pristine white blanket. Footprints in the snow. The knowing that spring will come soon enough--and being willing to wait.


  20. Cherie Hill Says:

    Wow Lynn, such a beautifully written post. Amazing, I was thinking of posting with very similar thoughts. It's funny how you can be in the dead of winter (spirtually) in the middle of summer. Your points have reminded me of the purposes of our seasons. He has a purpose for everything doesn't He?!? He leaves no detail undone. How I love the Lord!
    Blessings to you sister!
    Cherie


  21. Unknown Says:

    This is such a beautiful article Lynn. You have encouraged me so much.


  22. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Sandra! I love all that! Thanks so much for commenting. Love you! :D


  23. lynnmosher Says:

    Cherie, thank you for your beautiful comment. Warms my heart on this cold winter's night! Blessings to you, dear one! :D


  24. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, that so blesses me, Alisa! Thank you so much for telling me. Blessings to you, sweetie!