Friday, January 21

The Model Prayer

Prayer.

Did you cringe or smile when you read that word? Do you spend enough time in prayer?

Whatever the amount of time each of us spends on our knees, it can always be improved.

Since our precious Lord gave us an example of how to pray, I thought I would take what has been dubbed The Lord’s Prayer, or as the New King James Version entitles it, The Model Prayer, and make it a series.

In Matthew 6:9-13, Jesus gives us the prototype, “Pray like this:

Our Father in heaven,
may Your name be kept holy.
May Your Kingdom come soon.
May Your will be done on earth,
as it is in heaven.
Give us today the food we need,
and forgive us our sins,
as we have forgiven those who sin against us.
And don’t let us yield to temptation,
but rescue us from the evil one.” (NLT)

Some manuscripts add, “For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.” I love that part!

Is prayer important? According to Jesus, it is. He spent a great deal of time on His knees. If He went to the garden, the hillside, or some other secluded place to spend time with His Father, how can we not think it is more important in our lives?

If God is our heavenly Father, how do we talk to Him? What tone do we use? Do we speak to Him...

* in respect, or disrespect, as we would our earthly father?
* in kind tones or in grumpiness?
* in belief of unbelief?
* in trust or in doubt?
* by shaking our fists at Him or raising our hands in praise?

Do we tell Him of our tender love for Him, or do we continually question Him as to why things are happening? Do we tell Him of our unreserved confidence in Him that He will always fulfill His promises? Do we praise Him for Who He is? Do we sit silently at His feet, just to be near Him?

Prayer is a private, exclusive audience with the King of heaven, spending time in His presence to worship Him and to love Him.

Prayer is like a child appealing to its father. Has your child ever crawled up in your lap just to snuggle with you because he or she loves you? Do you ever crawl up in the Father’s lap just to love on Him? He delights in that, just as you do.

Prayer is the development of our personal relationship with the Lord, as an intimate friend.

Prayer is communicating with the Lord, having an honest, heart-to-heart talk with Him. For this reason, prayer is a conversation, not a monologue! Conversing with Him implies listening to Him.

Prayer takes many forms, whether with many words, sitting silently, a look or glance of faith in the Lord’s direction, or on our faces on the floor, bawling into the carpet.

Though we have virtually perfected our horizontal conversations, we have seriously failed in our Vertical one. This spirit-converse can be found only when one retreats to that quiet place to listen for the intimate whisperings the Holy Spirit brings us from our Beloved Bridegroom.

David said of being in the Lord’s house, as only The Message can state it, “That’s the only quiet, secure place in a noisy world, the perfect getaway far from the buzz of traffic.” (Ps. 27:4) The frazzled racket of the world has deafened our ears to the whispers of heaven. If we don’t silence all the cacophony, we will never hear the voice of the Lord.

How important is prayer to us? “One day Jesus told His disciples a story to illustrate their need for constant prayer and to show them that they must keep praying until the answer comes.” (Luke 18:1 TLB)

~~Lord, may I sit at Your precious feet just to be with You and learn of You. Give me the strength to wait the timing of your answers.~~



Share/Save/Bookmark
11 Responses
  1. Lorrie Says:

    Wonderful post Lynn!! Whenever I feel like I don't have a purpose I am always reminded that I can pray.. I /can/ do that :-)

    On a side note - Wonderful new look on your blog! Wowwheee. And... what a job! I love it!


  2. Beautiful on both counts, Lynn, both the post and the new design.


  3. Awesome! I love talking to my Dad. It's SO important.


  4. Unknown Says:

    Lynn not only did Ilike this but I read it out loud to my mom and she liked it too. so much so that she wants to used it for her Gideons cabinet meeting.



  5. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Lorrie!

    Glad you like the new look. It was difficult to find something. Not exactly what I wanted but it's good!


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Cecilia, thank you for your sweet comment. I appreciate your visit! Blessings to you!


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Dana! Love crawling up in Father's lap! Isn't it awesome? Blessings to you!


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Chava, thank you so much for visiting. I'm so glad you stopped by. And yes, please tell your mom to share this with her group. I'm honored. Blessings to you!


  9. Wonderful post Lynn. Prayer is one of the hardest things we do as a Christian - but yet it should not be so! I have always struggled with "quiet time" - but as the years go by - I cherish it more and more. I love to walk and pray, and when I'm in the car alone I look forward to dialoging with my Heavenly Father. Anytime is a good time to pray, Amen?

    I also love the new look of your blog. Well done!


  10. Beautiful post, Lynn! Prayer certainly is important, and I love your image of crawling up into God's lap because we love him!