Monday, February 14

A Valentine Special


There is a beautiful love story of a prince and his peasant bride in Max Lucado’s book, When Christ Comes. The prince is stately, peerless, yet she is common, plain. “His attraction to her baffling.”

She is sometimes “sullen and sour, even cranky.” Not the type you’d want to spend the rest of your life with. Yet, he cannot live without her, so he proposes to her. Soon afterward, he leaves to build their future home and take care of his father’s kingdom duties. He promises her that he will return for her as soon as everything was ready.

In the meantime, she forgets that she is betrothed. She lives as she pleases, not caring that her behavior reflects on her family and on her betrothed. “She forgot to prepare herself for her nuptials. She was even seen doing things that made others whisper.”

Rebellious and forgetful. Distracted and too busy. Preparation for the wedding? What future bride does not plan and prepare for her beautiful wedding day. A prince was coming for her. Forget the groom? How could she!

And how could we. We are that peasant girl, that covenanted bride-to-be. Do we behave as though we are betrothed to our Beloved? No. Our behavior should be fitting of a princess...not a peasant. His return for us should be uppermost in our minds.

Max says we are “amnesic.” “To forget the purpose of gingko is one thing. But to forget our engagement to Christ is another.”

We need a reminder! And here it is:

“YOU HAVE CAPTURED GOD’S HEART.”

You, the one He loves truly. You, the one for whom He died. You, the one to whom He yearns to be close. You, The Lord’s espoused, His intended, His precious companion for all eternity.

A wedding day is the culmination of preparation. Everything is ready. And the bride and groom desire to look their best for each other. All decked out in their wedding finery; he, fit to meet the bride, and she, fit to meet the bridegroom.

Where is your focus? Is it on your heavenly Bridegroom? Are you preparing every day for that beautiful wedding? Are you fit to meet your Bridegroom?

When I go to a wedding, I always keep my eyes on the groom. The look on his face is always a precious glimpse into his heart.

He stands there, first on one foot and then on the other. The epitome of royalty in his wedding finery. Ready to whisk his beloved away to their future home. His smile – crooked. His cheek – twitching.

The vein in his neck about to pop from anticipation. Anxiety increases as he awaits that lovely figure in white to take her place beside him.

If you take a closer look into his eyes, you’ll see the reflection of his bride as she comes down the aisle. And you are that precious reflection in the eyes of Jesus, as He waits to take you home with Him.

I wonder...are we all that anxious to “clothe ourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ” and look so beautiful for our precious Bridegroom? If so, someday we will be thrilled to hear: “How beautiful is your love…my [promised] bride!”

Prepare yourself, Bride. Ready yourself for your beloved Bridegroom. Remember, you are engaged. Behave as a proper princess should. Keep your eyes on the Groom. He is returning for you.

As Max says, “You are engaged to royalty, and your Prince is coming to take you home”!!! “Behold, your bridegroom is coming; run out to meet him!”

“Do not let your hearts be troubled…I will come back again
and will take you to Myself, that where I am you may be also.”

“I am my beloved’s, and my beloved is mine.”

HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!!!




Share/Save/Bookmark
18 Responses
  1. Terra Says:

    "You have captured God's heart." Wow.


  2. Scott Fields Says:

    This one spoke to me personally . . . as I have indeed forgotten the purpose of gingko (if I ever even knew it to begin with).

    Okay--all kidding aside. Have there been many finer masters of imagery than Max Lucado? Which would be great, except he's also a master at convicting his readers, and who needs that?

    Thanks for the post and the blessed reminder, Lynn.

    - Scott


  3. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, dear Terra! Hope all is well with you. Thanks so much for stopping by. Love *seeing* you! Be blessed!


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Scott, for stopping by! Blessings to you!


  5. TraciB Says:

    Beautiful, Lynn! Thanks for posting this. :)


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Traci, you're so sweet to drop in again. I deeply appreciate it. Blessings to you!


  7. Linda Yezak Says:

    What a beautiful post! Yes, "We have captured God's heart!"


  8. jayedee Says:

    beautiful post! imagine! capturing God's heart!!


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, my sweet friend, Linda! You make my heart happy! Love you!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    jayedee, thank you so much for visiting and commenting. You bless me! Blessing to you!


  11. Keith Wallis Says:

    I've always wondered why the most attractive women seem to pick the strangest partners (yeah - me) - seems they are reflecting scripture !


  12. Beautiful analogy, Lynn. And somethng we all need to remember. Thanks for the reminder.


  13. Glory to God Says:

    Lynn -

    This is such a powerful analogy. I know it's hard for men, and myself, to try to put ourselves on the side of the bride. But the reality is is that there is no greater picture of the groom, the epitome of masculinity, than Jesus.

    Max Lucado does such a fabulous job of painting this picture that it pierces the heart. There's a lot of truth to this and I know I experience this "forgetfulness" myself.

    Thanks for an excellent reminder to prepare for Jesus! God bless!

    Dean


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Keith, I always love to see how your mind works. Thank you for stopping by. Makes my heart happy to see you here. Blessings to you!


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, sweet Cecilia, for taking time to read this and comment. Bless you! :D


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Dean, thank you so much for your touching and special comment. You've blessed me! Blessings to you! :D


  17. Hi Lynn -

    I came over here from Marja's blog.

    Wonderful post! When I think of all the preparation I went through for my wedding, I see the need for that same focus with the Lord.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Susan, I am so honored to have you visit. Thank you so much for your kind comment. You've blessed me. Blessings to you!