Thursday, July 7

Let Down Your Wings!


* This is part of SOAP from Moms Tool Box. As Amy says about SOAP, “It is a simple way to read through the Lord’s word, pray and reflect on just what He might be telling you in that passage.” It means this...

*Scripture
*Observation
*Application
*Prayer


*Scripture...

“And the living creatures kept running and returning,
like the appearance of a flash of lightning.”
(Ezek 1:14 Masoretic Text)

*Observation...

Does that sound like you? Running, returning? Running, returning? Is your day filled with kids’ sports practices or games, errands to run, committee meetings to attend, business meetings or home business functions to attend to, chores to do?

Do you flap your wings of busyness but don’t seem to get anywhere? Do you go in four different directions at once? Do you flit about but miss out on hearing God’s voice?

As I mentioned in a previous post, Are You Full of Dynamite?, a verse of scripture had captured my attention lately. Two other scriptures have also seized my thinking: the opening verse and this one...

“When they stopped, they let down their wings. And every time they stopped, there came a voice from the crystal sky above them.” (Ezek. 1:24b-25 TLB)

Hmmm...when they halted their fluttering, when they stood still and let down their wings, they heard God’s voice.

*Application...


How does that apply it to us?

With unfurled wings, we flap around in frustration. We flit about doing our own thing. We dart sideways in anxiety. If we continuously flutter our wings of busyness, we have no time for the Lord in our schedule. And we will not hear His voice.

Energy is wasted. Time is lost. And eventually, we wear out.

As I searched for an image for this post, I came across the leadership site The Resurgence with an interesting article written by Dave Kraft entitled Busyness is the New Spirituality. While he mainly addresses leaders, his points are applicable to all of us. Three of his four main points state the causes of “bone-deep tiredness”...

* the inability to say no
* the inability to slow down
* the inability to simplify

As I searched further, I came across these interesting items...

* a book Too Busy for Your Own Good
* another book Freedom from Busyness
* an article on Family Life Radio Addicted to Busyness
* a Busyness Survival Kit
* and the book I’m sure you’ve heard of, Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World

This must be a growing problem, otherwise, these things would not have been written. The saying is so true: Master time or it will master you.

So, if we do not slow down and hit the delete button on a few things in our lives, we will become bone-tired or even burned out. Jesus took time to slow down and be with the Father, going off to the solitude and serenity of the mountainside or the gardens to pray. He also rested by the well. (You might enjoy reading my post on this entitled Come, Sit by the Well.)

Therefore, we need to let down our fluttering wings. Hush the din of confusion. Rest our harried minds. Get quiet in the presence of the Lord. Let a peaceful calm permeate us. And wait. Wait to hear the Voice of the Ages as He whispers those precious words of love, peace, and comfort to us.

We have the joyous privilege of seeking the face of the Creator of the universe! Does that thrill your soul? If not, it should. It should fill you with praise, gratitude, and thanksgiving that the King of kings is also thrilled to have you sit at His feet and listen to Him, just to spend time in His presence.

Distractions are everywhere. If we allow Him, the Holy Spirit will calm the chaos and bring harmony to our frustrated souls.

If we do the same as Jesus, to sit in stillness and pray, we sit by the well and dip into the Lord’s well to refresh ourselves with those Living Waters. As we sit, we may hear Him whisper to us...

“Do not rush into My presence looking at your watch. The busyness of life derails your attention. Let down the wings of your disquieted and busy spirit. Prepare by being still.

“I do not struggle to fit in with all the other voices of the world. I will not compete for the number one spot in your life. I will be found in quietness and stillness.

“If My people would take time to be with Me, they would hear those words of comfort and guidance for which they so desperately yearn. Be still and know.”


Be still and know. “Stand silent! Know that I am God!” (Ps 46:10a TLB)

Silent rearranged is listen. Do we do either?

Oh, how souls sadly lack when there is no time for the Lord. So much more is accomplished, with so little time expended, when one kneels in prayer...and listens!

“This is My Son, My Chosen One. Listen to Him.” (Luke 9:35 NLT)

Prayer: Lord, help me to make time to be with You, to block out the discord of the world, to still my spirit before I come to sit at Your feet. As I fold down my wings of busyness, I will hear Your sweet words of grace and peace.

Lord, may my time be Yours. And when the world swirls around me, diverting my attention from You, may my heart be drawn back to seek the comfort of Your presence.

May I be silent and listen. Amen!



SOAP

Share/Save/Bookmark
19 Responses
  1. Good post! Never heard of the SOAP concept, but I like it, very practical!
    Have a good weekend Lynn.


  2. Great post and great methodology. I have a free inductive bible study on my blog for folks. But this is way simpler to remember. Like it!

    Our bible study group has generally adopted: what does it say? what does it say to ME? How can I apply it to my life?

    It's all good.


  3. My day never works well unless I spend a half hour to an hour reading scriptures, devotionals and praying every morning. And, it is the quiet stillness of this early morning meditation He does speak to me. Thank you for an in depth view of scriptural prayer.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    Wonderful post Lynn! I enjoy receiving your devotions via email but now and then I must come over and see your beautiful page and leave a comment.

    I love the part about not watching the clock. I have always, always been one who is time oriented... punctual, ready, looking ahead to the next task.

    Recently, in my morning devotional time I have made it a point NOT to look at the clock until I am absolutely done. I have flexibility in my work arrival time so there is no need for me to limit myself like I have in the past. I am enjoying it so much and I seem to realize the Lord's presence with me even more now during the day!!

    Thanks Lynn. Blessings galore ♥


  5. Lorrie Says:

    Ooopsie - hit the anonymous button by mistake! That was me Lynn :-)


  6. Busyness is indeed a problem in the church. Good is the enemy of best and often we just don't stop to re-evaluate our time. It is said that Susannah Wesley - surrounded by more than a dozen children would often pull her skirts up over her head just to pray and hear from the Lord in a moment of frustration! Oh, how we need to "be still" and hear from God... Thanks!


  7. Beautiful post, Lynn, and great advice! That quiet time is so important for listening to the Lord. God spoke to our hearts in a similar way about this. Today I wrote:

    Lord, help my ears to clearly hear your whispered still, small voice
    and my heart to love, give praise, be thankful and rejoice.

    Blessings to you, Lynn! Have a beautiful and blessed day!


  8. What a great reminder, especially now when there's so much going on and it's so hard to say that one little word that could save us a world of trouble...no. Thanks, Lynn. I always know I can depend on you for a timely word.


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks, Marja! Yeah, I do like the SOAP idea. Hope you're enjoying the other side of the pond!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Carol, yes, any kind of prompt that help us to dig into the Word is good! Always appreciate your visits! Bless you!


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Ceci, you are so right. Our day is left wide open if we do not put parameters of the Word on it with prayer. Thanks, sweetie, for stopping by! Blessings!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Yay, for you, Lorrie! Letting go of all that hinders us truly frees us to enjoy the Lord, all day, doesn't it? Thanks so much for popping in for a visit, sweetie! I appreciate it! Bless you!


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    So true, Deborah: good is the enemy of best. Susannah's skirt over her head reminds me of the prayer shawl. Closing out the world. Thank you, dear one, always being such a great commenter. Bless you!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you for your beautiful thought, Connie. I so appreciate your comment. Blessings to you!


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Betty! So glad to see you. You are so right: we forget to say no! Thank you so much for stopping by! Makes my heart happy! Bless you!


  16. Fliterary Says:

    Love this one, Lynn! Oh that I may rest my wings in the presence of God and hear His voice. Beautiful, just beautiful.


  17. Jackie Says:

    Oh Lynn! I love this and it is so very true....We need to MAKE TIME FOR HIM, since He has given us to much....Thank you for the lovely words and the inspiration to find more time for Him!

    Love,
    Jackie


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Lisa! You make my heart happy! Bless you!


  19. lynnmosher Says:

    Jackie, thank you very much for your kind words. You bless me. Blessings to you!