Sunday, September 2

Come, Thou Weary Souls!




“Come to Me, all you who labor and
are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”
Matt. 11:28 NKJV

* ...all you who labor: to feel fatigue, to work hard, to labor with wearisome effort, to toil, to grow weary, exhausted, tired.

Exhaustion plagues many people after a long day’s work at a job they hate. Stress consumes the worker as the economy serves up less and less for each dollar. Everyone toils to stay afloat, to make ends meet.

What is the return for the strain of intense labor? Solomon asked, “What does a man get for all his hard work?” (Eccl. 1:3 TLB) He lamented, “All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the soul is not satisfied.” (Eccl. 6:7 NKJV)

The stomach may be full but the soul is not satisfied. The body is sapped of energy. So many are just plain wearied and tired. It hits all of us at one time or another. And just as it is possible to get weary physically, it is equally possible to get weary emotionally and spiritually.

Do you ever feel tired, overburdened, and weary?

* ...and are heavy laden: to load up as a vessel or animal, to bear, something carried, to heap on.

When you encounter heavy burdens from...

* relationships that are strained to the breaking point,
* the job market being almost non-existent,
* prices on everything continuing to climb,
* family problems that loom,
* a death in the family,
* daily schedules,
* the attacks of the enemy and you feel like giving up,

...does the stress overwhelm you? Do you need a rest?

* ...I will give you rest: to repose, refresh, to cause or permit one to cease from any movement or labor in order to recover and collect his strength to give rest, intermission from labor.

Work is not always laborious; it can also be fulfilling. Solomon also said, “Every man should eat and drink and enjoy the good of all his labor - it is the gift of God.” (Eccl. 3:13 NKJV)

So, how many enjoy their work? How many realize it is a gift of God? Enjoyment of our labor comes much easier if we praise God for what we have, keep a positive attitude, and take a break to rest from it once in a while to avoid burnout.

Even God rested on the seventh day. Jesus got weary and rested. He took time to enjoy Himself. He attended weddings and dinners with friends. He laughed and teased and had a good time.

He also spent time in prayer to recharge Himself. He took time to slow down and be with the Father, going off to the solitude and serenity of the mountainside or the gardens to pray. One day, Jesus sat by the well of His forefathers to rest and recuperate, to quench His thirst.

What do you do before every last drop of your physical, emotional, and spiritual vitality have evaporated?

* Do you rest from your work?
* Do you take a vacation?
* Do you take a day off now and then (especially if you cannot take a vacation), just to enjoy yourself and your family?
* Do you relinquish your will, surrendering to God’s leading?
* Do you keep a positive attitude?
* Do you spend time in prayer?

When labor becomes arduous and circumstances burdensome, sit by the well of the Father, lowering your bucket into His spring of Living Water to quench your parched spirit and soul, and regain your strength and power, pausing until every thought of stress is lifted.

Rest in God’s promise, “I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint.” (Jer. 31:25 NIV)

“Those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
They will soar high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
They will walk and not faint.”
(Is. 40:31 NLT)

“Come to Me, all you who labor and
are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”


(You might find encouragement in these two posts entitled Let Down Your Wings and Come, Sit by the Well.)
                                                                       
Hooking up with...


Beauty in His Grip Button

On In Around button

Share/Save/Bookmark
13 Responses
  1. David Rupert Says:

    My problem is that wait until I'm crushed before I let go of my burden. I'm down in the ditch, looking up and all I see is Jesus. At that point, I wonder. "Why did I wait so long."

    Beautiful post Lynn


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    Wow! David, I'm so honored to have you visit!

    I so know what you mean. Why do we do that? You'd think after so many ditches, we'd learn to go around them! Thank you so much for taking time to read and comment. I deeply appreciate it! Bless you!


  3. David Rupert Says:

    i like this so much, I'm going to feature it over at The High Calling sometime later this week and in next weeks' Weekly Calling newsletter!


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh...my...gosh! David, I'm in tears. I'm so honored. I've been rather discouraged lately so I deeply appreciate this. Bless you!


  5. Elizabeth Says:

    As usual this post is just perfect timing. Thank you for sharing your gifts with us! Love you Lynn!


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, sweet Elizabeth! I so appreciate you! Blessings to you!


  7. What a great post, Lynn! I got the weary & heavy laden thing down. SO thankful for the exchange Jesus offers when we just come to Him! I just wonder why I wait so long!

    Great post Lynn! Love the way your write! :-)


  8. Beautiful, much-needed words today. Thank you, Lynn!


  9. Unknown Says:

    Thanks so much, Stephie, for always being so uplifting! You bless me! Love you!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Flucy-girl, I've missed you. Thank you, sweetie, for your generous words. Bless you!


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much for stopping by, Rachel. So happy to have you visit. I so appreciate your kind words. Blessings to you!


  12. Isaiah 40: 31 is one of my favorite verses. I re-read it whenever I feel overwhelmed by responsibilities and trials. Thank you, Lynn, for the beautiful reminder we can find all we need in Him.


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, Ceci. You always bless my heart. Love you!