Thursday, April 30

Come, Sit by the Well


Did Jesus get weary physically in His travels? Of course, He did. The disciple John relates one such incidence in John 4, “Eventually He came to the Samaritan village of Sychar, near the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph. Jacob’s well was there; and Jesus, tired from the long walk, sat wearily beside the well about noontime.” (Verses 5-6 NLT) He sat at the well of the father to rest and recuperate, to quench His thirst.

Did you ever feel like that? Thirsty? Fainting? Tired? Need recharging? Just as it is possible to get weary physically, it is equally possible to get weary spiritually.

David did. He said to the Lord, “My soul thirsts for You; my whole body longs for You in this parched and weary land where there is no water,” (Ps. 63:1b NLT) and “I reach out for You. I thirst for You as parched land thirsts for rain.” (Ps 143:6 NLT)

As Jesus thirsted and sat by the well, He spoke of the Living Water to a woman, who also thirsted, and came to the well for water. He said to her, “People soon become thirsty again after drinking this water. But the water I give them takes away thirst altogether. It becomes a perpetual spring within them, giving them eternal life.” (John 4:13-14 NLT)

Not yet recognizing her own spiritual thirst or Jesus’ meaning, she said, “‘Please, sir,’ the woman said, ‘give me some of that water! Then I’ll never be thirsty again.’” (John 4:15 NLT)

When we, today, read this account in our Bibles, we understand that the Lord’s offering of refreshing, spiritual waters, is not from without, but from within, and satisfies eternally more than an oasis on the backside of the scorched Sahara desert.

As Christians, we have the privilege of sitting by the well of our Father when we crave this Living Water for our arid spirits, lowering our buckets into that well to quench our spiritual thirst, to regain our strength and power, and to rest until every thought of care, confusion, or depression is lifted.

When you become tired from your journey and your weary soul shrivels up, feeling bone-dry, what do you do? When every last drop of spiritual vitality has evaporated, do you take advantage and dip your bucket into a well to replenish your parched spirit and soul? But which well...the world’s well of lifeless drivel or the Father’s well of Living Water?

When in your arid condition, do you hear the Lord whisper His invitation to you, “Come, sit by the well”?

Prayer: Lord, when life’s trials and schedules overwhelm me, remind me to come sit with You by the well of the Father, that I may drink of those thirst-quenching, Living Waters to replenish my soul and spirit. Amen.

~~Blessings, Lynn~~
9 Responses
  1. Billy Coffey Says:

    I need to sit by the well today.

    Thank you for this, Lynn. You're such an inspiration to me!


  2. Thank you so much my sweet sister! This really ministered to me today..man do I need to sit by the well.


  3. Lynn, I needed to read this. I normally have my quiet time first thing in the morning. However, when I awakened my hubby was already busy on his computer and next thing I knew I was next to him working too. No quiet time. Just now, I thought I'd check twitter and saw your link. Hmm ...I think I need to stop and spend time with the Lord before I get busy with my day. Thanks, my friend.


  4. Thanks Lynn, precious words. You're much appreciated!


  5. Unknown Says:

    Very nice! A word of refreshment that I needed to hear today!

    Thanks,
    Cheri


  6. This is just what I needed, and finally had a chance to read it and soak it in, Lynn! After returning from travels, filled with pain and fatigue, this was just the refreshment I needed. Thank you for the blessing!


  7. Oh my goodness Lynn, what perfect timing for me to "stumble onto your post"...thank you so much for your words, they met me right where I am.

    xoxo,
    Melissa in Mel's World


  8. Thanks you for the reminder Lynn.


  9. Another great post!!. Thanks Lynn..I needed this too..I am going to sit by the well tonight..