Thursday, November 6

“Duty is ours, results are Gods.”


Well, this will be a first for me. I do not write about political issues. I rarely even discuss politics outside my close family unit. However, I feel the Holy Spirit nudging me to say something for unity’s sake.

One of the natural characteristics of my personality is peace and being a peacemaker. I’m sure the Lord is using this to nudge me.

This election rubbed me the wrong way. Most elections do. I hate the name calling and insults slung by opponents. And I hate all the negative ads. However, this time, it was different. I have never heard such bitterness and outright vile emotions and comments on both sides. I am so glad the door has closed on this election and the bickering is over. Now comes the real test, where the rubber hits the pavement, as they say.

When I saw this quote, I knew it was perfect for what I had to say. John Quincy Adams said, “Duty is ours, results are Gods.” We have accomplished half of our duty by putting our privilege to vote into action.

We have a new President of the United States. Whether you joined in the jubilation over the outcome or you went into your corner and pouted, you and I and the rest of the country now need to join together and make an effort at unity.

Now on to the second half of that duty…everyone working together, standing shoulder to shoulder in acceptance and kneeling knee to knee in prayer for the President and all his decisions.

Scripture is clear on this. Paul wrote to Timothy, “I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone—for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior.” (1 Tim. 2:1-3 NIV)

Whatever our leaning…to the left or to the right…we are to first pray for the President and to keep a watch over what we say about the leaders of our country. The Word says, “Don’t bad-mouth your leaders, not even under your breath, and don’t abuse your betters, even in the privacy of your home.” (Eccl. 10:20a Msg)

The Law stated, “Do not blaspheme God or curse the ruler of your people.” (Ex. 22:28 NIV) The consequence of doing so was the punishment of being stoned to death. And no, we can’t go back there!

In reading a number of blogs that have posted on the election, my favorite is by Michael Hyatt, president and CEO of Thomas Nelson Publishers. Falling in line with these scriptures, he listed these four things that he vowed to do for the new President…

1) I will pray for him and our country.
2) I will assume his motives are good, giving him the benefit of the doubt.
3) I will not speak ill of him, even if I don’t always agree with him.
4) I will cast off the spirit of cynicism, and be a positive force for good.

I, too, take this stand. Will you join me in doing the same?

~~Blessings, Lynn~~
17 Responses
  1. Sita Says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. Sita Says:

    Brief but packing widom..thank you, Lynn...and yes, I do agree...


  3. lynnmosher Says:

    Wow, Sita! You are really quick on the draw! Thank you so much! Blessings to you...


  4. Renae Says:

    Amen! I agree, 100%. I will support my president and pray for him.


  5. Tina Says:

    Count me in, Lynn! I have forwarded your post to the group that receives my devotionals because I could not have better expressed what has been on my heart recently as well. I am tired of the jokes, the cynicism, and bitterness, even though I know that much of it is rooted in fear. It is time to rest in the shelter of His wing and trust in prayer that He has already gone ahead of us and made way for His own. It is our job to trust and honor Him. You go girl! It may be outside of your usual writing line, but you've done it honorably. From one peacemaker to another, God's smiling!


  6. Good post, Lynn. Here's more from Charisma mag editor Lee Grady:
    http://tinyurl.com/6bkg59

    Diana Scimone
    www.dianascimone.com
    www.born2fly.org


  7. Lynn, just checked out your blog from the CW link, and I think that this is one of the best things on any medium as far as the election goes. You have hit the nail on the head as far as what our calling is as both Americans and Believers. Awesome post.


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Wow! Thank you for such high praise. I don't know that I'm worthy of it but I deeply appreciate it. So glad you dropped by. Hope you enjoy CW. I love it and have learned an enormous amount in the short time I've been there. May the Lord blessed you...


  9. Alrady Says:

    Great post and I totally agree. I think the last two presidents (bush and clinton) would have been more effective if this was practiced. The support and respect. I do think though there is balance with speaking truth... again saying it though respectfully. Good blog Lynn and congrats for speaking on something you don't usually speak on!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Zinger, Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. I deeply appreciate it. Blessings to you...


  11. Unknown Says:

    Lynn: You are so wise. I don't generally talk politics either. But truly this is the time to do so. God placed in office who HE chose for this time. Whatever His reasons, our job is to be obedient to the Word. And you've pointed out the very verses my pastor spoke to us today in a plea for us to transcend politics. Thank you so very much for sharing your wisdom. Blessings to you dear Lynn!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Renee, Tina, and Diana, I think I left a message for each of you elsewhere. If I have forgotten, forgive me. I thank you here. Blessings to you...


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Mari, Thank you so much for your kind words. I deeply appreciate it. Blessings to you...


  14. Walk Says:

    Dear Friend, I've already started praying for him and his choices for cabinet, judges, etc. Thanks for a great post, but then again that is no surprise.

    Be His,
    Walk


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, Terry. You are such a sweet friend. I deeply appreciate it. Blessings to you...


  16. Barbara Says:

    Whether we agree or disagree with the person, the office of President deserves respect. Count me in.


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    Amen, Barbara, amen! So glad to hear this. Blessings to you...