Sunday, November 16

Sure Hands of Prayer


“We shall devote ourselves whole-heartedly to prayer and the ministry of the Word.”
Acts 6:4 Phillips

One morning in my study and quiet time, the Lord led me to read Exodus 17:11-16…again. You know this Old Testament story. Readied on top of Mount Horeb, Moses lifted his hands and his rod in praise, while Joshua fought the enemy in the valley below.

In my quirky mind, I hear the song from the commercial for Sure deodorant: Raise your hands, raise your hands, if you’re sure! Silly, I know. But that’s the way my brain works.

On the mount of victory with hands of surety uplifted into the air, Moses’ mouth spoke prayers and praises into the atmosphere and Israel prevailed; when he lowered his hands, the enemy prevailed.

However, Moses grew weary and his arms became heavy, so Aaron and Hur came alongside to give support. Because of their assistance, victory came that day.

All the Joshuas who battle the enemy need their Moseses, Aarons, and Hurs in the background praying with uplifted hands. That means you and I need each other’s support. So, in your prayer efforts, do not let your hands be weakened nor your knees go unbent that the enemy not defeat us in our battles.

Hebrews 12:12 in The Amplified says, “So then, brace up and reinvigorate and set right your slackened and weakened and drooping hands and strengthen your feeble and palsied and tottering knees.”

Solomon warned, “Through lowering of hands, the house leaks.” (Eccl. 10:18 Masoretic Text) This slackness applies not only to our physical house but to our spiritual house as well. According to the definitions, if through inactivity, negligence, or idleness, we lower our hands from lack of prayer and praise, then the house begins to weep.

In order to counteract this and prove God’s greatness in battle, we need to be diligent as sister and brother hand-raisers and knee-benders in prayer for one another. To ensure a victory in these difficult times, join with me in agreement to this…“We shall devote ourselves whole-heartedly to prayer and the ministry of the Word.”

Raise your hands, raise your hands if you’re sure!

~~Blessings, Lynn~~
20 Responses
  1. Billy Coffey Says:

    What a wonderful application to one of my favorite Old Testament stories. I can't imagine where I'd be today without the prayers of family and friends.


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Billy. I so appreciate it. And I know exactly what you mean! Blessings to you...


  3. I am sure that I definitely need the support of my friends! Thank you for this reminder of the importance of praying for one another, Lynn. And I love the way your "quirky mind" works!


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL! Thanks, Connie! It is very quirky sometimes. There is strength in numbers, as we support each other to victory. Blessings to you...


  5. Timely, very timely Lynn. This would be the wrong time to slack off in prayer, well, any time is the wrong time ofcourse. But your devotional encourages, as always! Thank you.


  6. Lorrie Says:

    I love this Lynn. We need each other now more than ever! Or at least we see our need more now. Or at least I do!! Think I'll go back and read that again :) Good stuff!


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Marja, Yes, you're right. I really felt led to post this. Prayer is so needed for each other and our country. Blessings, me sweet friend...


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, sweet Lorrie! We cannot ignore our prayer duties for each other. Times have changed. Prayer is our anchor. Thank you for reading. I always appreciate your comments. Be blessed...


  9. I am so grateful for the prayers of my friends. So many times my family and friends with call or write with prayer requests. I have a group of 12 ladies who continually pray for one another. What do people do who don't pray? I don't know. Thanks for this post, Lynn.


  10. Lynn, I absolutely loved your post. You are exactly right. We must continue to pray without ceasing for each other. I am gratful in having met you.
    Shelly Pierce


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Debbie, How awesome to have a group that you know is praying for you. I agree. How people make it through life without praying is beyond my comprehension. Blessings to you...


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Shelly, You are such a dear new friend. Thank you so much for your sweet comment and also for mentioning it on Twitter. You've blessed me today. My heart thanks you. Blessings..


  13. Unknown Says:

    I love that story. I haven't read it in a while.

    What a wonderful way to look at this verse. You are so right, we are on this battle together. Thank you once again for your wisdom!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Mari, I don't think we've begun to touch on the power and victory that could be ours through uplifting one another in prayer. Bless you, dear one, for your comment.


  15. Unknown Says:

    Lovely post, Lynn, and such a strong, compelling reminder that we must lift each other's arms and burdens in prayer.
    This is one of my favorite scenes in the life of Moses. I actually used this story in an email to friends last year: it was a call for prayer support when I felt un-equipped and exhausted in intercession for a dear friend.
    I could certainly feel the difference as others began to hold me up and my concern up to the Lord.
    Your site is so appealing, Lynn, and reflects the quiet, drawing spirit that I have come to know on Twitter.
    Lovely day to you,
    Jlo


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, jlo, what a lovely thing to say! Thank you so much. You honor and bless me. You've made my heart happy and my eyes leak! Blessings to you...


  17. AC Says:

    This is very uplifting to me personally. I have been weak in my arms- literally - and I am so encouraged by you and your balcony tweets to me and others! Seriously, I am learning to be more encouraging from the encouragement I have received from you. Thanks Lynn!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Andrea, I am floored by your kind words. I am in tears and at a loss for words, except that I hope that the Lord will help me to choose my words and use them for the comfort and encouragement of others even more. Wow! I am overwhelmed. Thank you so much. Blessings to you...


  19. Wow Lynn..I really needed so much. You have no idea. I feel so overwhelmed so times. I need the prayers of others to hold up my hands now more than ever.

    Thanks for this posting..


  20. lynnmosher Says:

    Lisa, I'm so glad this post was so timely for you. I pray the Lord will bring you comfort and peace. I'll be praying for you. Blessings...