Saturday, October 17

Come Home, It's Suppertime!

When I was growing up, my mother used a bell to call me home for dinner. This is when kids played outside until the very last minute of sunlight and air conditioning existed mainly as a bright idea. But when I heard that bell ring, it meant come home, now! It’s suppertime! Time to join the family around the dinner table.

Twice in my childhood, my family lived with my paternal grandparents on their farm, which was self-supporting. We had everything from our own dairy to turkeys and everything in between. I fondly remember sitting at the dinner table with them. Because of all the animals and the fresh food from the gardens, I loved living with there with them, especially because of my sweet Granny. I still shed tears because I miss her, even after fifty years separation.

John the Revelator wrote, “Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb!” (Rev. 19:9 NKJV) I was invited and I RSVPed so I know I’ll be there. Will you?

In my spirit, I imagine hearing the sound of that heavenly dinner bell ringing out and the call, “Come Home; it’s suppertime.”

I imagine that great, heavenly feast and sitting down at the family supper table with Abraham, David, and Paul. Or even better, my mom, dad, and grandparents. Better still, sitting next to Jesus. Woo-hoo!

With each passing day, I miss my precious Mom, Dad, and grandparents more and more. I long to sit at the dinner table with them again. And I know I will. They’re waiting for me.

Do you yearn for that heavenly banquet…to sit down with those gathered around the greatest supper table of all time?

Tune your spiritual ears to listen for that dinner-bell-call to come home!

If you love Southern Gospel, and even if you don’t, I hope you will listen to Come Home, It’s Suppertime by the Gaither group…



If the Master rings the bell tonight, will you be ready to go Home?



Share/Save/Bookmark
20 Responses
  1. beardiethor Says:

    Beautiful story Lynn. Have always said "Southern Bells Sho Nuff Write Best"! Love Rick London and Lee Hiller


  2. To answer your question: "yes". Praise God!


  3. I'm packed and ready to go home too! I love Southern Gospel music Lynn so I enjoyed this one. I can identify with your description of playing outside. Our town rang a siren from the fire house at noon everyday. That meant it was time to come home for lunch. For dinner, my mom just yelled for us and we came running.

    It's nice to stop and visit you. I don't get here as often as I like but just want you to know how much I appreciate you.

    Life continues to be challenging but God is good. We're still in our home and working hard in our business. But I continue to love blogging and meeting new friends online.

    Love you,
    Debbie


  4. Ernest Says:

    What a thoughtful post. Going home to Jesus and being reunited with departed loved ones.

    I too remember playing outside in the 50's and 60's without all of the modern conveniences or distractions. It was more natural in those days, and young children these days, don't spend enough time with family and friends to build relationships.

    It is very sad to hear of dis-functional families and the deprivation of the poorer families, and those without families and in care.

    The world may be a richer place, but is much poorer spiritually.


  5. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL! Thanks so much for reading, Ricky-boy and dear Lee! Love you both!


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Yay! Kimberly, I'll get to sit at the table with you! Woo-hoo!


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Debbie, So good to see you. I miss those "good ol' days"! Life was so simple then! Thanks so much for the update. Have been wondering how you were! Blessings to you!


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Ernie, It was simple then, wasn't it? And oh, so fun! Thanks so much for stopping by. I deeply appreciate it. Be blessed!


  9. Remember catching fireflies and spitting watermelon seeds? I think we'll have even more fun in heaven.

    Thanks, Lynn, for reminding me that when I end this life it is only the end of the beginning.

    Be blessed,

    Lynnda


  10. Unknown Says:

    A dear friend of mine went home this very day. I so envy him, but yet, I don't want to leave my family behind. There will be a day...


  11. Hi Lynn,
    That really brings back memories of being a little boy back in Oklahoma. My Dad would yell at the top of his lungs supper time! or Mom would take a pot and spoon and beat it too! LOL

    Life was so slow paced back then and everyone talked to each other, you knew everyone that lived around you.
    I really miss it.
    Thank you,for bring up the memories.


  12. Billy Coffey Says:

    Oh my dear Lynn, every time I come here it's like a breath of fresh air. Just what I needed today!


  13. Precious post Lynn, very precious! Yes, I love Southern gospel and yes I am ready and yes I will sit there with my grand parents, who don't even know I gave my life to Jesus!! what a sweet reunion that will be!! Last week I attended 2 funeral services and all I could think of was how awesome it is to know hwere we go when we die!!!
    Thanks for another grewt post Lynn.


  14. Thank you for the reminder. I can't wait to get there, sit at the table and fellowship with all my brothers and sisters. As the title of a great song says, "What a day that will be."

    My heart yearn for home and it's company. Going up anyone?

    Louis


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL! Lynnda, Thanks for reminding me of those two things. That will be fun! So glad you stopped by! Blessings to you!


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Jodi, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. He is having the time of his life now, isn't he? May the Lord comfort you in your loss. Be blessed.


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    Loved those days, didn't you, Paul? Just think how much greater heaven will be and sitting at the dinner table with old, new, and never met friends! Blessings!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Wow! Thanks so much, Billy-boy! I consider that an honor coming from a great story-teller! LOL! That didn't come out right, did it? Thank you for your kind words! I so appreciate it! Be blessed, my friend!


  19. lynnmosher Says:

    As always, I so appreciate your sweet comments, Marja! Love you! Be blessed!


  20. lynnmosher Says:

    Louis, Won't that be a great day? Awesome! Thanks for stopping by. May the Lord bless you!