Monday, October 12

If I Have Chosen to be God's Servant...


“It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master.” (Matt. 10:25 NKJV)

One of my devotionals the other day kindled some self-introspection, as usual, and caused me to ask myself some questions. Then, I had an occurrence in my life. You know, one of those experiences that the Lord allows to drive home a point? Well, it did! Here’s what I asked myself…

If I have given the Lord my life, allowing Him to be my Salvation, my Guide, my Rescuer, my source of Power, my Victory, my Freedom, my Listener, my Promise, my Protection, my Forgiveness, my Peace, my Comfort, my Joy, my Praise, my Provision, my Healer, my Teacher, my Rest, my Righteousness, my Shepherd, my Life…

…then…

* will I serve Him every day?
* will I strive to remain obedient?
* will I surrender all into His care?
* will I trust that His will and purpose are best?
* will I dare to believe His Word and promise and apply it to my life?
* will I know all things, yes, all things, come to me as sifted through His loving fingertips?

The opening verse uses the word ‘enough.’ It also means sufficient and content. So, how sufficient do I consider my life in my Master’s hands? How content am I to have Him manage my day?

If all the moments of my everyday life are filtered through His care, then how can I not receive every situation, every hurt, every interruption in my day as being of His keeping, of His nod of approval? How can I not serve Him gladly and say, “Yes, Lord, Your will be done”?

How can I not smile and say “thank You” to the One guiding me, the One Who loves me more than anyone else, the One Who watches over me, the One Who takes all my moments and 8:28s them?

As Romans 8:28 says, if I love God and am called according to His purpose, then “all things work together for good.” The Greek word for ‘working together’ is ‘sunergeo,’ which, in part, means to labor together as partners, co-operate, co-worker, assist by putting forth power together, and so on.

‘Sunergeo’ is the basis for our English word ‘synergy,’ which is a combined action or functioning, a combined action of two or more agents, when taken together, having a total affect that is greater than the sum of the individual effects.

The first definition of ‘synergism’ listed in The Random House Dictionary of the English Language, published in 1966, gives this awesome definition: the doctrine that the human will cooperates with the Holy Ghost in the work of regeneration. Thank you, Random House!

In other words, all things co-operate together, as co-partners in labor for good. So, if I have chosen to be God’s servant, what is my attitude at what He allows to come my way? Do I work together with Him to bring good results?

As a servant…

* do I still praise the Lord if persecution comes my way?
* do my words speak of peace and joy or anger and bitterness?
* do I complain when something negative interrupts my peace?
* does my day’s work glorify the Lord if I rebel at His commands?
* do I serve my Master poorly by grumbling under my breath at His requests?
* am I perfected in His image if I do not have a positive attitude, no matter what the circumstances?

If I desire to be like my Master, trials and tribulations, heartache and pain, grief and suffering will come my way. Is my attitude toward them synergistic with His?

If “I am the Lord’s servant, and I am willing to do whatever He wants,” (Luke 1:38 TLB) will I hear those awesome and long-awaited words from my Master, “Well done, good and faithful servant…Come and share your Master’s happiness!” (Matt. 25:23 NIV)



Share/Save/Bookmark
15 Responses
  1. Thanks Lynn, good post, wise words. One decision triggers all the others!! We should count the cost!


  2. This post just pulled together several lessons the Lord has been putting in front of me for the past week or two. Praise the Lord Lynn! Thank You Father God for all the lessons and how You speak to me through them. In Jesus' name, amen.


  3. Sylvia Says:

    So much to think about in this post Lynn. Rom. 8:28 has always been a special verse to me and I really appreciate the take on "working together". The Lord bless you


  4. Anonymous Says:

    Great words my friend!


  5. Good morning Lynn,

    I have this movie in my mind of having a day full of interruptions and bad news and griefs of different kinds where I can see into the spirit world. Here are all these little imps trying to upset me and ruin my day. Instead, I frustrate THEM because I am trusting my Lord, staying centered in Romans 8:28, and praising God for all things. I enjoy the idea that I can ruin the devils' day by living as God's servant. For me, that's like the cherry on top of the ice cream. Serving God is awesome!

    Be blessed,

    Lynnda


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, sweet Marja! You're right. It all rests on saying "Yes," doesn't it? Be blessed! Love you!


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Kimberly, that so blesses my heart! I am so happy you shared that with me. You really don't know how much it means to me to hear that the Lord has used my (His) words to confirm something in your heart. Blessings to you!


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, dear Sylvia! I hope all is well with you! Thank you so much for your sweet words. Makes my heart happy! Blessings to you!


  9. Lynn, Once again you give me much to think about, I have gone over this post over and over in my mind.

    Good food for thought, does our actions measure up to what we are proclaiming to reflect like in a mirror. Is our reflection clear or dull? I must take a closer look at this today, through out the day.

    Thank you, my friend, Paulbuchanan7


  10. Hi Lynn, Thanks so much for stopping by my website. : ) To answer your question, you chill it, then roll it in thick spicy flour and egg (like the old Kentucky Fried chicken recipe) and deep fry it.
    I personally hated it. I love good guacamole and felt like it messed it up, but people were lining up for over an hour to get it. : )
    Love your post today.


  11. Lorrie Says:

    Hi Lynn! Wonderful post as usual :-)


  12. Thanks for sharing another beautiful post, Lynn! I love Romans 8:28, and being reminded of it as often as possible is a good thing! This is a wonderful blessing in my day during a week with grandchildren, and thinking about how they will grow up and trying to be a good example for them. God will work things out for good in their lives too!


  13. Have you experienced God’s provision, only to fall into successive doubt and fear due to loss or hardship? My friend, God hasn’t left you. He remains your Good Shepherd, leading you thru the darkness and into the light, where he is.


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Rodney, I am so honored that you have stopped by to read my humble blog. By all means, I truly know the Lord's leading through all things. Thank you so much for the encouragement. I pray you will stop back by again.

    I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I'm lost in the dark. Oh, no, my friend. I surely know the Shepherd's guidance and light. I am truly blessed that you have encouraged me. May the Lord bless you outrageously! In His Name...Lynn


  15. peter lau Says:

    Hi, thank's a lot for your articel. It's make me have a new world view from what i thinking...syalom