Monday, May 23

An Interrupted Journey

In a single moment, a little boy’s world turned upside down; his life’s journey interrupted, taking a drastic detour.

Many years ago, an accident on a slippery, wet road ended the lives of a young couple while their young son was only shaken and bruised. A frightened Max went to live with an aunt who had never married and knew little of taking care of children, let alone a seven year-old boy.

Aunt Sylvia lived on several acres surrounded by woods with a creek meandering through it. Max quickly learned to love it and thought it magical. Room to run, yell, chase animals, climb trees, and catch frogs from the stream. A great place to bring the friends he would soon make.

Aunt Sylvy, as Max called her, loved making up stories to pique Max’s imagination. Her best stories came from the Bible as she taught Max about God and His love.

Over the years, Max learned to love Aunt Sylvy as if she were his own mother. The two of them always made the best of each circumstance and prayed over each one.

Max’s tour through his teen years collided with the normal bumps in the road. But because of Max’s hard work and good study habits, and Aunt Sylvy’s encouragement, he received many honors throughout his high school years.

One day, a decision halted his journey: which college to attend. He could not imagine leaving Aunt Sylvy and the cabin in the woods, so he chose a college close to home.

After graduation came another dilemma: which job offer to take. Max chose the job on the other side of the country due to Aunt Sylvy’s insistence. So, when the day came for him to leave, she sent him off with her best wishes, a hug, a sack of sandwiches, a bag full of money, and a prayer.

As the years passed, Max tried to return to the cabin in the woods as often as he could.

One day, Max received a phone call from Aunt Sylvy’s neighbor telling him Aunt Sylvy was dying and called for him constantly. He told the neighbor he would be there as soon as possible.

As some business deals with deadlines needed his attention, Max decided to write a quick letter to Aunt Sylvy, just in case he didn’t make it home in time. He wanted to tell her how much he loved her and appreciated all she had done for him.

He reminisced how, on the day he arrived at the train station to live with Aunt Sylvy, she was detained from meeting him and sent her hired hand to pick him up. As darkness set in, the two of them made the journey to Max’s new home.

On the way through the forest, Max asked all kinds of questions of the hired hand, like are there any kids to play with; what is his aunt like; and will she be waiting up for him to arrive?

After all the questions were appeased, the two of them finally drove out of the forest. At a distance in the clearing sat a glowing log cabin as light streamed out of every window. And there, on the front porch under the light, was Aunt Sylvia waiting for him with open arms.

He wrote how she hugged him, gave him a warm dinner, put him to bed, prayed with him, and told him everything would be all right. He recalled how she sat up with him that night and every night thereafter until he was no longer afraid to fall asleep by himself and his tears had eased.

In an effort to comfort her as she had comforted him, he wrote that, though she may be in the dark for a while, a light will glow in the clearing. At her journey’s end, she will be welcomed with open arms by the Lord to her new home.

~The journey Home differs for each child of God. Accidents, interruptions, detours, bumps, halts, dilemmas, and questions may impede our way. The world may crowd around us as a forest and darken our outlook. But we can be assured of this: the Lord is always waiting to receive us with open arms and will bring us out into His Light.

Wherever our journey takes us, it is up to us to make the best of it. And, at the end of our journey, we will be welcomed to our new Home with the Lord.

~~From my heart to yours, “I hope to see you on my journey, and to be helped on my way there by you, if first I may enjoy your company for a while,” (Rom. 15:24b NKJV) and help you as well on your journey Home!



This post is part of the ChristianWriters.com blog chain on the topic of journey. Please check out the other participants in the sidebar on the right.

Share/Save/Bookmark
42 Responses
  1. This is an amazing story! By any chance, do you know Max? I wish every kid could have the security that Max had after his unfortunate loss. Good post.


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Warren! Thanks so much. I appreciate the kind words. Yes, I do know Max. Very well. He lives in my head! LOL


  3. Each of us having our own journey Home was part of my blog, too. Isn't it great how great minds think alike? Wonderful article, Lynn.

    ~ VT


  4. Marie Says:

    I love this!

    "we can be assured of this: the Lord is always waiting to receive us with open arms and will bring us out into His Light."

    {{HUGS}}
    @spreadingJOY


  5. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, my gosh, Victor! I missed reading yours. Yikes! Will have to do that! Thanks so much for your kind words. I appreciate it!


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, beautiful Marie! Thanks so much, sweetie, for your kind words! So happy to see you. Blessings to you!


  7. TraciB Says:

    Wonderful story, Lynn, and an excellent post. :)


  8. Anonymous Says:

    Beautiful Lynn! It made me think of my grandmother and my aunt who were like mothers to me:)


  9. As always your stories enrich our lives, open our eyes to different perspectives and make us think. I wanted to know if Max made it back in time to see Aunt Sylvia. I really loved this, Lynn.


  10. Very sweet, Lynn. I see Max lives in your head. What lovely scenery for him!


  11. Chris Depew Says:

    Thanks Lynn. Another treat.


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Traci! Appreciate the visit and comment! Blessings!


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, Maryleigh, I'm so glad it brought back fond memories for you. Thank you! Blessings to you!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Ceci, you are always so sweet with the compliments. Thank you so much! You bless me. Blessings to you!


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Carol, that is so sweet of you! Thank you so much! Bless you!


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Chris, thanks so much for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it! Blessings!


  17. Great writing Lynn, thanks for sharing! In my interview with Lorrie Ransom your blog get's mentioned too!! You inspired us both!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, sweetie! Thanks so much, Marja! I got mentioned? Hmmm...I must have closed my eyes on that part! LOL I didn't see it. Will check again! Thanks! Blessings!


  19. E. G. Lewis Says:

    What a lovely story. It was a pleasure to read it.


  20. Your story had me captivated Lyn. I kept reading it when I should have been getting ready for work. Thnkyou for this. I'd better go get ready now before I start running late :)


  21. Tracy Krauss Says:

    Lovely and touching. Is this part of an anthology, a personal story or another larger work? (Or just a story you made up?) In any case, thanks for sharing it.


  22. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, thanks, EG! You make my heart happy! Blessings to you!


  23. lynnmosher Says:

    Wow! So glad it was captivating, Adam! Thank you so much! Blessings!


  24. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Tracy! Thank you. You make my heart happy! It's just a story that I had started some time ago and never finished. It just seemed to fit the theme so I used it. Blessings!


  25. Enjoyed your story! Thanks for sharing!


  26. Sarah Says:

    Beautiful story! I knew a boy growing up who lost both his parents young. The circumstances were different but how he was raised afterwards was very similar. What a blessing to have family to help us through our journey!


  27. Anonymous Says:

    Oh, Lynn! This is beautiful! I loved every single word of this and was sad when it ended. What love! What beautiful, selfless, Kingdom love expressed between Max and his Aunt. Just beautiful.


  28. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Sheila! I appreciate it! Blessings! :D


  29. lynnmosher Says:

    Sarah, makes me happy that you've stopped by and commented. Thank you so much!


  30. lynnmosher Says:

    Cindee, you so bless my heart! Thank you so much! Blessings to you!


  31. Lynn, You paint such a wonderful word picture. I could imagine being there myself.


  32. Anonymous Says:

    Beautiful story! I believe that we all have people we can influence for God's Kingdom, which is what Max's aunt did for him!

    When I have a moment to touch someone's life, I hope I do it with love and not judgment!


  33. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, Chris, you make my heart happy! Thank you for your kind words. Bless you!


  34. lynnmosher Says:

    Alisa, from what I know of you, I believe you always achieve your goal of love! Thanks you so much for your comment, sweetie. I so appreciate it. Blessings to you!


  35. What a lovely story, Lynn! And what a great reminder that we are either a help or a hindrance in the journey of those around us. I want to be a help - a comfort, an encouragement and a light that points the way to Jesus. (Father, help me to remember that the next time someone bugs me!)

    Thanks for sharing this, Lynn.


  36. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much for your lovely comment, Jan. It's greatly appreciated. Blessings to you!


  37. Unknown Says:

    Thank you so much for this post, Lynn. Such a touching commentary on one's journey through life! If this is part of a book you have written, I hope you will tell me when it is available, because I would love to read the entire journey of this incredible pair!
    ~Nona


  38. lynnmosher Says:

    Aww, Nona, thank you so much! I'm humbled. It's not part of a book. Just a little story that made a visitation to this ol' brain! Bless you!


  39. chris vonada Says:

    wow Lynn, that is an incredible story!! Thank you for this one.


  40. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, thanks so much, Chris! I appreciate that. Bless you!


  41. Scott Fields Says:

    Wonderful story, eloquently told, and a beautiful example of a lifelong journey (two, really).

    Thanks for sharing this with us, Lynn.


  42. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Scott. I'm honored. I appreciate your visit and your comment. Blessings to you!