Wednesday, September 21

Cocoon of Circumstance

(Today, I'm doing a rerun.)

“My troubles turned out all for the best…” (Ps. 119:71 The Message Remix)

Where can the most beautiful vistas be viewed? From atop the summit of the tallest mountain, after the most strenuous climb.

Which valleys have the richest green velvet pastures and the fullest spikes of wildflower colors? Those that have withstood the greatest drenching rains.

What forests produce the most prolific new growth? Those that have suffered the hot, searing flames of destruction.

Which diamonds sparkle the most brilliantly? Those that have felt the cleaving of the jeweler’s sharp chisel and the friction of the polishing wheel.

An old Chinese proverb says, “The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.”

Just as all of nature suffers contrary conditions in order to be expanded, improved, or strengthened, so, too, do we. Difficulties and trials will always be a part of our lives. We cannot separate ourselves from them. And if we ponder it closely, we realize we will not grow as Christians if trials do not come to test and enlarge us.

If we try to wiggle out of these times, we force premature deliverance, frustrating God’s plan. It is like prying open a cocoon before the caterpillar has finished its metamorphosis into a butterfly. Forcing open the cocoon too soon will render the caterpillar deformed for the rest of its short lifespan.

When we manipulate the hands of the clock to align with our own agenda, we destroy the beauty that God desires to emerge from His timing. Through our own efforts to “help” God out with our deliverance, do we come out of our cocoon of circumstance too early and spiritually deformed in some way? Or do we wait for the revealed transformation by God’s hand?

Is our cocoon of circumstance not intended, as for the butterfly, to deepen our richest colors and give us wings of flight, beautifying our character, all which we may not have had before the trial? While in that cocoon of circumstance, we “are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory.” (2 Cor. 3:18 NIV)

God knows the worth, the power, and the beauty hidden deep within our hearts and only that which is contrary to our comfort releases the precious qualities within us. As Paul said, “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.” (Rom 8:18 NKJV)

God will work out all our circumstances for our benefit when we fully commit them and ourselves to Him, His Word, and His timing.

After experiencing a cocoon of contrary circumstance, are you able to say, as David, that all your troubles turned out for the best?

“And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them.” (Rom. 8:28 NLT)



Today, I'm hooking up with these great blog hops...
Finding Heaven Today


Adventures in the Ordinary


Reflections of His Grace


Share/Save/Bookmark
18 Responses
  1. Joan Hall Says:

    Lynn - I just left a comment on Joan Davis' blog (The Beauty in His Grip) after reading her post about trials. And I used the very analogy of valleys and mountaintops. (I wrote a post about this a couple of years ago.)

    It is never easy to go through trials, but God has His purposes in allowing them. I like how you used the analogy of the butterfly emerging too soon from the cocoon.

    Blessings,
    Joan


  2. Lynn, I'm so glad you reposted this one. I think I needed the reminder.

    Going through difficult circumstances and for a prolonged time is ...hard! However, even in the midst of these times, I've found everyday blessings. It has changed my perspective in so many ways to be on the lookout for them.

    I've also learned so much during this time. There are moments when I'd love for the Lord to 'get me out of here' but I am learning to trust Him more and more. My husband and I are closer than we've ever been. No money can buy that! I'm thankful for that.

    We all have our trials. But my prayer is that God would be glorified in the midst of it all.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie


  3. I love the image of trying to wriggle out of a cacoon before we're ready. Not a good idea to remain "part worm." Loved the reminder to wait on the Lord and let Him do the work He needs to do in us. Thank you for that.


  4. Oh, so true! I have found that through difficult and painful circumstances, my relationship with Christ has deepened and my trust in Him has grown. Trials are not pleasant, but when we keep our eyes on Him, we are truly blessed!

    Living for Him, Joan


  5. Unknown Says:

    Yes, yes, yes. As one who has watched an entire state park burn lately, you words are such a comfort. And, I feel more motivated to let God have His way with me rather than forcing my own will.


  6. Anonymous Says:

    It is always best to take our hands off of His labors of love. We only complicate the process even with all our good intentions.

    Thank you for sharing this.
    Much love,
    Marcia


  7. Erin Says:

    Lynn,
    God is so good to give us examples in His beautiful nature and creation, that are so true in our lives too. I loved all of those allegories that you used. We can't get around what we must go through!
    Blessings,
    ~Erin


  8. You are right. Those who have suffered and endured trials and sorrow have rich characters. Everything is relevant. The more you have endured, the greater your joys. And only God knows the precise time to put out the flames and send the rainbows. Great post, I too am happy with the repeat. Always good to be reminded to take our hands off the wheel in difference to Him.


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Joan! I'm honored to have you visit. Thank you so much. I appreciate your comment. Blessings to you!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    It is hard, isn't it, Debbie? When things drag on and on. And you're so right. When our attitude is right, there are blessings all around. I'm so glad for the blessings in your life. And I pray that the Lord brings many more into your life, dear one!


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL Carol, you always manage to come up with a great thought. I love "part worm." Love it! Thanks, sweetie!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Joan, it is through the trials that we stretch and grow. Always seems odd, doesn't it? Thank you so much for visiting. I deeply appreciate it. Blessings to you!


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Marcia, your *hands off* statement and your avatar so aptly fit. Take our hands off and let the Lord do the balancing and guidance. Thank you so much for taking time to visit and comment. Bless you!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Jen, I am so sorry about the park. These fires have been terrible. Glad they didn't come near you. Thanks so much for your comment. Blessings to you!


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, sweet Erin! I love your statement...we can't get around what we must go through! So true! Blessings to you!


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    It is a dichotomy, isn't it, Ceci? The greater the suffering, the greater the joy. Well, it doesn't happen to everyone. Just those who relinquish their wills to the Lord's will. Thanks, sweetie! Be blessed!


  17. I don't like trials. Don't want them. But if it turns me into who the Father created me to be - then I'll accept them. As long as He is with me!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, yes, Maryleigh! I so agree. And yes, as long as He's with me. Thanks for stopping by, sweetie. Bless you!