Sunday, September 25

Go Another Mile?


“You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth. But now I tell you: do not take revenge on someone who wrongs you. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, let him slap your left cheek too. And if someone takes you to court to sue you for your shirt, let him have your coat as well. And if one of the occupation troops forces you to carry his pack one mile, carry it two miles.” (Matt. 5:38-41 GNT)

In the King James Version, the words “shall compel” are used in the above verse and are of Persian origin, which means to be a courier, to press into public service, dispatch a mounted messenger, denotes to compel one to go on a journey, to bear a burden, or to perform any other service.

Jesus spoke the above words in His Sermon on the Mount. We understand what He was saying about not to “take revenge,” but what did He mean to “carry it two miles”?

In Jesus’ day, the Romans continued a practice they learned from the Persians about 600 years earlier. Persian messengers or heralds had the royal authority to compel any person or his horse, boat, or any other thing he owned that the messenger might deem usable in order to deliver the king’s commandments.

This is the custom to which Jesus referred.

This practice was made Roman law. An individual from a conquered country was required to carry a load or pack up to one mile on foot if coerced by a Roman. If a Roman soldier saw a Jewish male, adult or boy, he could command the male to carry his backpack or burden for one mile.

The Jews hated this law and would not carry this burden one inch further than the law required. However, they had two options: carry the burden and walk a mile or receive a beating and spend time in jail for defiance.

Therefore, the Jews marked off a mile from wherever they were so they would know in advance exactly how far one mile was if a soldier came and demanded they carry a load. The burden or pack the soldier compelled a male to carry could be anything, even something heavy, dirty, or smelly.

Can you imagine the indignance of the Jews that day as they sat on the hillside, listening to Jesus preach to them, “Go the second mile.” Can’t you just hear the whispers rising up, gathering momentum like a burgeoning wave? Do more than the Law required? Surely not.

What about us today? Do we go the extra mile? Do we go out of our way to help others, to show our love and care for them? Oh, we do for those we love, don’t we? But do we go that extra mile for those we don’t love?

What did Jesus say? Just a couple of sentences later in Matthew’s account of the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus says, “But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.” (Matt. 5:44 NKJV)

Peter reiterated Jesus’ words, “Don’t repay evil for evil. Don’t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it.” (1 Peter 3:9 NLT)

You mean I have to be nice to those who are nasty to me, who stab me in the back, who cheat me, who persecute me? If I want to be obedient to the Lord’s words, I do! Ooo! That hurts, doesn’t it?

The first mile is the compelled, have-to mile, but the second mile is the compassionate, want-to mile.

The Lord may whisper to your heart to show some kindness to someone, to do some deed of sacrificial love for one who has been unkind to you. What will be your response?

May you not only walk the first mile but also walk many, compassionate, want-to miles.



Share/Save/Bookmark
12 Responses
  1. "The first mile is the compelled, have-to mile, but the second mile is the compassionate, want-to mile.

    The Lord may whisper to your heart to show some kindness to someone, to do some deed of sacrificial love for one who has been unkind to you. What will be your response?

    May you not only walk the first mile but also walk many, compassionate, want-to miles."
    Only God knows how much I needed to be reminded of this! You are so lovely and precious my friend...I appreciate this scripture even more now as I have received the 'background' as to which this came.

    Thank you Lynn!


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    Aww, thank you so much, dear Teresa! What precious words. I've been meaning to stop in and see you. I've missed you. Need to do that! Blessings to you, sweetie!


  3. EKS Says:

    I was just praying about this very subject today! I just stumbled on this blog recently and joined and I must say that God really does answer prayers. I struggled all day with wanting to not do the right thing in a situation that has hurt me very deeply--I was even trying to justify in my mind why it would be ok for me to retaliate in some way even tho I know it is not. So, for me, I couldn't have read this post at a better time. Thank you so much for sharing this today. God bless...


  4. Anna Says:

    Going the extra mile is what I would call radical love. Giving above and beyond all that is expected marks the life of a Believer. This is foolishness to the world, but aren't we CALLED to be DIFFERENT? God's mercy and grace compell me to go longer and do more than I am required to do. Dear heavenly Father, by faith I receive the precious love which was not due me, and compelled by that great love, please give me the heart of a servant so that I too may give more than what is due.
    Thanks, Lynn for this word. Now that I know the background of this Roman practice, I understand so much better!
    Anna


  5. It's that "cheerful giver" thing on steroids. Lord, do spiritual aerobics in my heart--expand it to walk the extra mile without huffing and puffing! Thank you for this reminder, Lynn.


  6. Thank you, Lynn! I need to read, and re-read this, especially right now. Bless you!!


  7. This is so good, Lynn. I love how you explain the background of the extra mile. Isn't it hard to be cheerful about things we must endure?


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Sherry! Thanks so much, sweetie, for your comment. You make my heart happy! Bless you!


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Janice, thank you so much for your kind words. I deeply appreciate it. And yes, it certainly is hard to endure. Keeping centered on Jesus and our thoughts centered on praise truly helps. Blessings to you, dear one!


  10. This is a very timely post in my life right now Lynn. Thank you for opening up the scripture to me and making my heart right in order to go 'the extra mile.' God bless you.
    Elizabeth.


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Elizabeth, I'm so glad this came at the right time for you. You have blessed me with your comment. Thank you so much!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, dear! I somehow overlooked a few of your comments. Please forgive me...EKS, Anna, and Carol. I treasure your comments and I am so sorry for this oversight. Blessings to you all!