Sunday, September 7

This Old House

In the neighborhood where I live, I have one neighbor who likes to cause trouble. He picks the fruit from my trees, chops down my shade trees, and mows down my flowers.

He dumps trash in my yard, reads my mail, steals my packages from the delivery man, tries to tell me all the neighborhood gossip about my friends, and does his darnedest to make me mad.

Forever prowling around the premises, he tries to sneak in the windows and get his foot in the door, attempting to steal my belongings. So I put an alarm system on all the doors and windows.

He likes my house and wants to live here, but I’m under a lease contract for a single dweller. He can’t have it and he certainly isn’t going to move in with me! But he still continues to try to take it away from me.

It’s a comfortable old house, though it’s not the most beautiful on the block nor is it the biggest. The landlord was very generous in his lease, so I appreciate what I have, even if a few structural changes are needed.

A few of its rooms have become dusty and overcrowded and need remodeling. Some of the junk needs to be put out with the trash. Some rooms are in a constant state of upheaval; others just need rearranging.

The windows have become a little foggy, so they’re not as easy to see through as before. Some of the shingles are falling off the roof, while some of the fence pickets are missing. A few of the hinges have become a little rusty and don’t work as well as they used to, but the landlord I lease from said he would make all the necessary repairs. I know he will, for he is a man of his word. However, he does have a busy schedule, so I’m just patiently waiting my turn.

I thought it might be time to move, but he says I can stay a while longer, if I do some of the maintenance work. I do look forward to moving, though, because I’ve had my eye on this perfect, little cottage that’s being built. I’d really like to move there some day…there’s no traffic, no noise, the air is clean, great neighbors, the scenery is beautiful, and best of all, no more Mr. Meany!

I’ve called ahead to see if it was ready but they tell me they’re still working on it. Well, I guess I can wait a little longer. I’m not really finished renovating this one!

“For we know that when this tent we live in now is taken down-when we die and leave these bodies-we will have wonderful new bodies in heaven, homes that will be ours forevermore, made for us by God himself and not by human hands.” (2 Cor. 5:1 TLB)
12 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Mr. Meany needs a visit from the cops! Your patience is undoubtedly your best virtue. Had it been me, the men in blue would be well acquainted with the situation!


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    Uh-oh! I have truly failed in my attempt to write satire. But you're right about Mr. Meany. He's my old foe, my enemy, the snake in the garden, satan. "This old house" is my body and how I look forward to that "cottage" transformed body in heaven. You've made me think...I need to change this. Thanks so much for your comment. I deeply appreciate it. Will work on changes.


  3. Tanya Says:

    This is great! I love it. Subtle and yet so clever. Your "voice" is much like my mom's and this post makes me miss home -- both hers and our eternal one. Thanks for the smile -- and the encouragement to be persistent in working on my own "home repairs." *sigh* There certainly are many to be made over here!


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks, Tanya. I've added a scripture at the end hoping this will help to clarify my boo-boo! Thanks for reading! Blessings...


  5. Anonymous Says:

    Honey, I read your piece somewhere around 4 or 5 this morning. Your satire was probably perfect for someone a bit more awake than I was!

    I really hope you didn't change this on my account. ~~~ L


  6. Walk Says:

    What is it they say about great minds? Next time you're in my blog, Wayfarers Walk, read my May 22 posting in the archives.

    As usual, wonderful words.


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Linda, You just showed me that I needed a verse at the end to tie it all together. And for that, I am deeply appreciative1


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Terry! I read your devotional. I loved it. Great thoughts! Isn't it funny how God works this way, giving the same topic yet the results are so different? Thank you for taking time to read this. Be blessed...


  9. quietspirit Says:

    I like your style. You made me think. We all have our personal'old meanie' and we all have satan beating down our door.


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    quietspirit. Great name! Thank you so much for your compliments. My heart deeply appreciates them. Be blessed...Lynn


  11. Wendy Love Says:

    Lynn,
    I have heard this story before but it was wonderful to hear it again! What a necessary reminder that this is not our permanent home! Thanks...
    Wendalyn


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Hello, Wendalyn Love. What a great name. Looks like we have several things in common. Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my blog. I deeply appreciate it your comment. May the Lord bless you...