Thursday, November 20

Are You Sonning Yourself?


Lily Tomlin once said, “I’ve always wanted to be somebody, but I see now I should have been more specific.” I love that line. Makes me laugh every time.

We all want to be “somebody,” someone of worth and recognition, someone accepted and honored. Some want to be important in the field of literature, the film industry, or the financial, music, or political world.

In what do they bask themselves to reach that place of somebody-ness? With what do they fill themselves? Self-gratification of applause, power, money, or physical enhancement? What values then do they project? What image do they reflect?

As “they” bask in outward indulgences, in what do “we” as Christians bask? Do we want to be accepted and honored? What values are we trying to project? What image do we reflect?

If Christ “is the image of God” and spiritual rebirth makes us a new creation in Him, placing His Holy Spirit within us, do we really reveal His image to others?

Sunning on the beach, one will exhibit the effects of absorbing the sun’s rays. Do we bask in the Lord’s presence, sitting at His feet long enough to absorb His character and reflect His likeness? Do others see the effects of our spending time with Him?

Paul said, “And as the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like Him and reflect His glory even more.” (2 Cor. 3:18 NLT)

So, if we, as Christians, stop to think about it, we are some body. We are the body of Christ. When we reflect love, patience, gentleness, Godliness, faith, giving, and all the other Godly qualities, we reveal to those around us a part of the Image within us, an assurance that we have spent time in the Son…Sonning ourselves!

~~Blessings, Lynn~~
16 Responses
  1. Billy Coffey Says:

    How true, Lynn. Looking at your picture of the beach on this cold Friday morning, I could think of nothing I'd like more than to be sitting there basking in the sun. But by the time I finished reading, I thought it better to sit and bask in the Son.


  2. I like that analogy with sunning and sonning. My desire is to become more like Jesus and I know that the more time I spend with Him is what changes me. I also need to surrender all the things I want "to do for Him" and allow Him to work in and through me. I'm learning that it's more about who I become than any outward recognition by people. Character is more important and I want mine to display more of His characteristics.


  3. What a beautiful post, Lynn! And very appropriate since we will be at the beach in FL tomorrow for the week. I'm photosensitive and unfortunately can't spend much time in the sun, but what a much greater pleasure it is to bask in the light of the Son! Thank you for sharing the insights God gives you with us in such a wonderful way!


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Billy! It does look good, doesn't it? But we can get a deeper warmth in the real Son! Thanks for reading! Blessings...


  5. lynnmosher Says:

    Debbie, What a great comment! You're exactly right. My heart is deeply appreciative that you read my blog. Be blessed...


  6. Sita Says:

    While 'sunning' gives an external tan and warmth, 'Sonning' seeps into your heart, filling up your senses and gives that glow of His Presence...since we have snow on the ground outside and it's not yet winter(!) I have to go do some "Sonning"..see ya!


  7. lynnmosher Says:

    Great timing for you, isn't it? Get plenty of sun and Son! Blessings...


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Sita, Oh, yes, yes! Love that! You're so right! I so appreciate your faithfulness in reading. May the Lord bless you...


  9. Noelle Says:

    I loved this Lynn! What an awesome analogy. Now Getten Some Son, has a whole new meaning! Wonderful reminder of spending time with our Savior.


  10. I absolutely LOVE this post! Thanks so much for sharing your insight with us...what a great and gentle reminder!

    Melissa in Mel's World


  11. Unknown Says:

    Hey Lynn - This was great. And I too loved the picture...I'm in North Dakota, that says it all right there.


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks, Melissa. You make my heart so happy! Bless you!


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks for reading and commenting, Kate. I deeply appreciate it. Be blessed...


  14. Godspeedanna Says:

    I love Lily Tomlin! She's from a small little town about an hour from where I live.


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Noelle, Somehow I missed you. Thank you so much for your comment. You bless me. Blessings to you...


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Lau! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. Blessings to you...