Tuesday, November 4

Cocoon of Circumstance



“My troubles turned out all for the best…” (Ps. 119:71 The Message Remix)

Where can the most beautiful vistas be viewed? From atop the summit of the tallest mountain, after the most strenuous climb.

Which valleys have the richest green velvet pastures and the fullest spikes of wildflower colors? Those that have withstood the greatest drenching rains.

What forests produce the most prolific new growth? Those that have suffered the hot, searing flames of destruction.

Which diamonds sparkle the most brilliantly? Those that have felt the cleaving of the jeweler’s sharp chisel and the friction of the polishing wheel.

An old Chinese proverb says, “The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.”

Just as all of nature suffers contrary conditions in order to be expanded, improved, or strengthened, so, too, do we. Difficulties and trials will always be a part of our lives. We cannot separate ourselves from them. And if we ponder it closely, we realize we will not grow as Christians if trials do not come to test and enlarge us.

If we try to wiggle out of these times, we force premature deliverance, frustrating God’s plan. It is like prying open a cocoon before the caterpillar has finished its metamorphosis into a butterfly. Forcing open the cocoon too soon will render the caterpillar deformed for the rest of its short lifespan.

When we manipulate the hands of the clock to align with our own agenda, we destroy the beauty that God desires to emerge from His timing. Through our own efforts to “help” God out with our deliverance, do we come out of our cocoon of circumstance too early and spiritually deformed in some way? Or do we wait for the revealed transformation by God’s hand?

Is our cocoon of circumstance not intended, as for the butterfly, to deepen our richest colors and give us wings of flight, beautifying our character, all which we may not have had before the trial? While in that cocoon of circumstance, we “are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory.” (2 Cor. 3:18 NIV)

God knows the worth, the power, and the beauty hidden deep within our hearts and only that which is contrary to our comfort releases the precious qualities within us. As Paul said, “For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.” (Rom 8:18 NKJV)

God will work out all our circumstances for our benefit when we fully commit them and ourselves to Him, His Word, and His timing.

After experiencing a cocoon of contrary circumstance, are you able to say, as David, that all your troubles turned out for the best?

Memory Verse: “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them.” (Rom. 8:28 NLT)

~~Blessings, Lynn~~
15 Responses
  1. What a timely word Lynn! In our church we have been on a teaching about the transformation from a caterpillar to a butterfly, for the past 8 weeks! And you know what is so good about transformation? It is more than change, because we never go back to where we were before! Eveything we go trhough is for us to learn and grow!
    Thank you for your devotions Lynn, very inspiring!


  2. Chris Depew Says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. Chris Depew Says:

    Wow! Another great post Lynn. I have always, until recently, forced my hand in His will. What joy comes from allowing Him to take His time. People say what we write is not for everyone, but it is for someone. Yours, this day, was for me and I thank you.


  4. absolutely wonderful words of wisdom this morning. Thank you! I saw you refer to your blog on twitter and am so glad I came over to read this. Thanks again, Jean Wise


  5. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, sweet Marja! It always amazes me how God puts things together like that. Thanks always for your comments. They do my heart good! Blessings to you..


  6. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Chris! Since the Lord asked me to write for Him, I always pray that whatever I post will touch someone's heart for Him. You've made my heart happy that this has touched your life. Blessings to you...


  7. Deb Burton Says:

    You write so beautifully and your words speak great truths that i try daily to live by. God is good, all the time, so why wouldn't I want to wait on His perfect timing and will? Oh, to live trusting the Lord more fully....


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Jean! So glad you are a kindred heart! And I'm so glad you stopped by and left me a comment. Blessings to you...


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Deb! Thank you for your sweet comment. So glad you stopped by. My heart appreciates it and thanks you. Blessings to you...


  10. A wonderful, persuasive piece about resting through circumstance.
    Thank you.

    I'm going to link to this blog on www.redletterbelievers.com tomorrow morning, as we are sponsoring a Group Writing Contest on rest...and this fits in perfectly.

    David


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Wow! David, thank you for the nice comment and for the link. I deeply appreciate it. Blessings to you...


  12. Tina Says:

    Well, Lynn, you have beautifully penned what has been recently revealed to my heart as I continue to wait on God's deliverance. Just today I'd journaled that if God had already delivered me I'd not have obtained a burden for women like me as I feel I am beginning to glimpse a direction of ministry encouraging women to hold on to in faith to God's promises as they wait for Him to honor their obedience and desires for godly marriages. What all might I miss if I bail out now or if I try to direct His work? I'm amazed at His goodness and I am touched always by your writing. God bles you, Lynn.


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Tina! Thank you for your generous comment. I'm so happy this has touched your life. Blessings to you...


  14. Kay Martin Says:

    Lynn,
    You write beautifully. I know the cocoon (inside and out). I've been such a tough one to smooth out my rough edges God has mercifully given me several "set apart" seasons from "deserts" to "caves" to "cocoons." You expressed this so beautifully and with encouragement.

    I checked out your blogs. I will return to them. Keep writing... you are great.


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, wow! Thank you so much, Kay. That's a very special name to me. One of my sisters is named Kay. I deeply appreciate you taking time to read and comment on my blog. May the Lord bless you!