Monday, November 24

Thanksgiving


Today, I was reminded of a story in the life of Corrie ten Boom. If you’ve never heard of Corrie, she was a young, Dutch Christian living in Holland as she and her family helped the Jews to escape the Nazis in WWII. Hence, the title of one of her books, The Hiding Place.

After being betrayed, they were imprisoned in two places, one in which their father died, before she and her sister were sent to the notorious concentration camp Ravensbruck near Berlin.

Life in this camp was intolerable. For one thing, their cabin was infested was fleas, which fed on the prisoners by biting them constantly. However, Corrie and Betsie managed to have a daily Bible study with the other women, many of whom came to the Lord.

At first, they were afraid to conduct these meetings, but, each night, they became bolder, as no guard ever entered their cabin, which baffled them.

One night, as they read scripture about praising God for all things, Betsie turned to Corrie and said they were going to praise God for the fleas. Corrie absolutely refused. Betsie insisted and Corrie finally gave in. They all got down on their knees and thanked God for the fleas.

Years later, Corrie found a journal of one of the guards that had stood outside their door. He wrote that he would never set foot inside because it was so infested with fleas.

Betsie died while imprisoned. However, when Corrie was released, she found out it had been “a clerical error,” as all the other women her age were killed a week later.

Written to the Ephesians by Paul while imprisoned, he told them, “…making melody with all your heart to the Lord, at all times and for everything giving thanks in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father.” (Eph. 5:19b-20 AMP) To the Thessalonians, he wrote, “No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.” (1 Thess. 5:18 NLT)

Just some thoughts to ponder…ask yourself: For what do I give thanks this year? Do I have an attitude of gratitude in all things? Do I thank God just for things, things that can disappear in the blink of any eye? My job, my house, my family, my possessions? Or do I thank the Lord for the things He keeps from entering my life? Am I thankful that He is Who He says He is? Am I thankful for all He does in my life? Do I thank Him for His grace and mercy, His righteousness and justice, His supply and protection, His comfort and peace, His love and care?

With all my heart, I pray for each of you to have a very blessed Thanksgiving.

~~Blessings, Lynn~~
21 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    Oh Lynn what a wonderful post. That is simply a powerful story. Thank you for sharing. With my husband's work hours just being cut, I really needed this reminder to be thankful in everything.


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, sweetie! Thanks for reading and commenting. Will be praying for you. Blessings to you...


  3. L.L. Barkat Says:

    it is good to remember to give thanks for the sweetest gift of all... life in His arms, despite the cares of the world


  4. Billy Coffey Says:

    My wife adores Corrie ten Boom, but I've never heard this wonderful story. It's easy to give thanks for the good things in our life, but this makes me realize that even the bad things (fleas!) hold blessings as well.

    Happy Thanksgiving, Lynn.


  5. Lorrie Says:

    Very good Lynn.. very good! I love Corrie and this devotion :) Happy Thanksgiving to you too!


  6. Cathy Says:

    Hi Lynn,

    As I read your post, it reminded me so much of the choices I have made in my life. When I was 21 I had my large intestines removed, a total colectomy, and then after 3 weeks had to have another surgery for an obstruction. In the end, I spent 5 weeks in the hospital, and my mother was by my side each and every one of those days. Not only did I feel like I had been reborn after the surgery, the removal of the large bowel was a gift, as it poisoned my entire body, but I realized that there was no other time in my adult life that I had spent 5 weeks with my mother under such intense conditions. My Dad was with us quite a lot, but he had to fly back and forth to take care of his business. The closeness, sharing, love, tears that we shared would have never been possible, if I had never gone through that surgery. A blessing in disguise. This was just the beginning for me of understanding that actually everything in life is only a matter of choice on how we respond to what is happening to us. I know with all my heart that there is something positive in everything. That is what inspired me to start The Friendship Stone. http://www.thefriendshipstone.com

    The Friendship Stone is a way for me stay connected to those important people in my life. What is amazing about The Friendship Stone is the fact that it looks different simply by changing the angle you hold it. It is a Tiger's Eye stone. I realized it was a perfect metaphor for life. Life can totally change by the angle we choose to look at what is happening to us. Within every situation, I can always find something positive.


  7. I love Corrie ten Boom. I heard this story before but it's always well worth reading again. Such a powerful lesson for us! Being thankful for flies takes on a different perspective when you see how God intervened in this situation. Although I'm sure they were a nuisance, women heard the Word of God in one of the worst places on earth. His ways are so much higher, aren't they?

    BTW, I am so glad I found you on twitter too. It's fun to follow. I had the opportunity to go to Women of Faith this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. I blogged a bit about it too. :)


  8. Hi Lynn, thanks for sharing Corrie's story. She truly was a hero! (And I am not just saying that because I am Dutch) It is not always easy to be thankful in difficult circumstances, but I guess there is only one way to practise...


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    L.L., Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. I'm honored. Blessings to you for a great Thanksgiving.


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Billy, I giggled earlier today. We just had an infestation of fleas and we don't even have a pet! I think they hitchhiked over on my son! They drove me nuts. I've never itched so bad in my life. Of course, my husband was not tasty enough to be bitten! Just me! So I can imagine how Corrie, Betsie, and the other women must have felt. Blessings to you...


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Lorrie, Thank you for being a faithful reader and commenter. Love ya! Blessings...


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Wow, Cathy! What a testimony! Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. Will check out your site. Blessings to you...


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Debbie! Thanks again for your sweet comments. Makes my heart happy! Blessings to you...


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Marja, I always loved hearing Corrie speak. Loved her accent. She was an amazing lady. Loved her, too! Blessings...


  15. Elaine Says:

    What a lovely devotional! It was so good to be reminded of dear Corrie. I am proud to have met her. She sounded just like my (Dutch) grandmother.

    The message is so timely. I have found that gratitude is a perfect antidote for discouragement and depression. "Count your many blessings; name them one by one...and it will surprise you what the Lord has done." (or something like that--don't think I have the words exactly right. LOL)

    Thanksgsgiving blessings to you and your family, Lynn.


  16. Walk Says:

    This is one thing I have learned from the life of Corrie ten Boom, a quote from her:
    "Faith is a:
    Fantastic
    Adventure
    In
    Trusting
    Him"

    Blessings this Thanksgiving, my friend.


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    Elaine, How awesome to have met Corrie. I adored her. Thanks for your sweet comment. I deeply appreciate it. Blessings to you...


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Terry, I l-o-v-e that acrostic. Have to remember that one. Thank you for being such a faithful reader...and commenter! You make my heart happy! Blessings of thanksgiving to you...


  19. Anonymous Says:

    Hi Lynn,

    This is an absolute story of beauty. WOW! Thanks so much for sharing this story with us. God is so gracious and merciful. I definitely have a heart of thanks for all God has done in my life- all circumstances included.

    I pray you had a wonderful Thanksgiving as well.

    Blessings,
    Kennisha


  20. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Kennisha-girl! I've been thinking about you. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. The Lord has taught me so much about having an attitude of gratitude. I couldn't live now without praising Him in all things. Blessings to you, dear one...


  21. Toni Mabry Says:

    Hi. I am a little late at reading this post. I love the story of Corrie Ten Boom. Thanks for reminding us of her strength.