Saturday, November 7

Blush? What's That?


Something has been bugging me. Well, out of the many things, I’ve been wondering about the lack of our ability to blush. Because I care about my brothers and sisters in Christ, I am very concerned about our sensitivity to sin.

When was the last time you saw anyone blush? When was the last time you blushed? I don’t remember the last time I blushed.

Ezra blushed. What caused the blood to rush to his face, giving him that crimson glow? In his remorse at the intermarriages of Israel’s priests and Levites with the surrounding Ites, he lamented, “O my God, I am ashamed and blush to lift my face to You, my God, for our iniquities have risen higher than our heads and our guilt has mounted to the heavens.” (Ezra 9:6 Amp) Our iniquities, he said, not theirs.

But do we blush when we act in opposition to God’s Word? When we sin, do we grieve over what we have done, as James exhorts us, “Be deeply penitent and grieve, even weep [over your disloyalty]. Let your laughter be turned to grief and your mirth to dejection and heartfelt shame [for your sins].” (James 4:9 Amp)

After committing a sin, are we in anguish only that we got caught and have to face the consequences or that we have wounded the heart of the Father?

Are we ashamed before the holy God of the universe? Unfortunately, we have become so desensitized to unholiness that sin does not bother us much anymore and we act like the Israelites. God said of them to Jeremiah, “Are they ashamed when they do these disgusting things? No, not at all - they don’t even blush!” (Jer. 6:15 NLT)

Do we ever weep over our sins? David grieved over his sin, saying, “For I will declare my iniquity; I will be in anguish over my sin.” (Ps. 38:18 NKJV) He loved God and knew that, if sin remained in his heart, it would offend God and cut off his fellowship with Him. Therefore, he asked God, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends You, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.” (Ps. 139:23-24 NLT)

Out of our deep love for the Lord and knowing what displeases Him, do we strive to remain so close to Him that any interference, any sin that separates us from Him, is automatically repulsive and avoided? Obeying God has better results than sinning!

But what about those “little sins”? To God, sin is sin, no one sin is considered bigger than another sin. However, we sometimes have it stuck in our finite minds that God has a blind spot when it comes to what we consider little sins. I think it’s the pile-up of the little sins that desensitizes our spirits.

We think little is okay, like nibbling on the forbidden fruit of a little cheating, a little white lie, a little stealing of pens or paper from the company or altering our time cards, a little flirting at work, a little dirty joke, a little gossip, a little peeking at this or winking at that.

We say to ourselves, “I’m not causing any harm. It’s just a little thing.” Or, “Just this once won’t hurt anybody.” Wanna bet? Look what happened because of sin’s one-time nibble in the garden; it spread condemnation to the whole world!

Just one bowing down to lust can ruin a life - or lives - forever. Just one night of sin can result in divorce, AIDS, pregnancy, drunk driving, or the death of a human life. Just one instance of gossip or confidence shared can sometimes rip apart long-time friendships or an entire family.

When we have Godly sorrow for sin, it “brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret.” (2 Cor. 7:10a NIV) Do we say to the Father, “I am deeply sorry for what I have done”? (Ps. 38:18 NLT)

But how long does it take you to confess a sin? Thirty seconds? Thirty minutes? Thirty days? Thirty years? The moment you know you have done something against God’s Word, do you confess it only to rush out the door to do it again?

Because David desired to be rid of those sins prowling around in his heart that might escape his attention, he said to God, “But how can I ever know what sins are lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults.” (Ps. 19:12 TLB)

However, he also wanted to be rid of his willful sins, for he said, “Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression.” (Ps. 19:13 NIV)

If we do not vigilantly guard our hearts against the tactics of the enemy, we leave ourselves wide open to all his assaults. To avoid this, Peter warns us, “Be on your guard and stay awake. Your enemy, the devil, is like a roaring lion, sneaking around to find someone to attack.” (1 Peter 5:8 CEV)

Do you make yourself lion-bait by flirting around the fringe of the forbidden, causing impure thoughts, immoral desires, or inappropriate actions? Sin’s desire is to take you, to possess you, to gobble you up, bit by bit. The hollowness of hell’s hunger hankers to be filled with God’s dainty morsels - His children! If you hear its stomach growl, watch out!

Live in such a way that no blush ever tints your face!



Share/Save/Bookmark
16 Responses
  1. Lynn... God really knows how to drive a point home. Last night HE pointed us toward a couple devotions to read for this morning as well as this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY1iWVBszV0

    And then now, your post!

    Praise You God for this lesson and reminder to be ashamed of our sin and turn from it. In Jesus' name, amen.


  2. I find that the more mature I become as a Christian the quicker I am to confess my sins.


  3. dannistories Says:

    Good point. So often, we say, "Oh, it was a wonderful movie except for this one scene..." or, "it's just a white lie, so I don't hurt her feelings..." If we watch too many violent or inappropriate movies, we can desensitize ourselves to exactly what 'inappropriate' is. Lot stayed in Sodom and Gomorrah, and his family strayed. One sin easily leads to another, and often, the gateway sin is lying. Dishonesty leads to more dishonesty. As Christians, we need to keep the Ten Commandments: All of them, not just the ones that are 'convenient'. Thanks, Lynn, for a very thought-provoking post :) It's time for us to blush more, to recognize our small sins and repent of them. All of us sin. Blushing is a good thing if it leads to repentance, and the joy of forgiveness.


  4. Pegg Thomas Says:

    We are certainly a hard-hearted culture anymore, it's good for Christians to remember where hard-heartedness will get us. The Bible if full of examples.


  5. Dawn Wilson Says:

    That is something that has bothered me for some time, Lynn. I wrote about it once in an article on modesty. We've not only lost "blushing," but all common sense in regard to what is decent (and I'm talking about Christians, too). Thank you for speaking up about this. And thank you for the reminder that our sins are serious, not to be taken lightly.


  6. Deborah Ann Says:

    It seems we are blushing less and less these days. I'm sure the media is partly to blame, but we are also to blame, for believing what we see all around us instead of believing God's word...


  7. Sheila Deeth Says:

    Sometimes we'd rather claim others' sins cause us to blush than let ourselves blush for our own. Good post.


  8. susanlani Says:

    Thank you Lynn. It's good to be reminded.
    Your posts are always so excellent.


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    LOL! Oh, Kimberly! I know those well-aimed points! Great video, btw. Thanks!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    hip chick...you are so right! I now cannot tolerate anything that stands in the way of being right with God. May the Lord bless you!


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Dannis, Yes, you're so right. It is time to blush more! Thank you! Blessings to you!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Pegg, we have become hardhearted, haven't we? It so breaks my heart. Thank you for commenting. Bless you!


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Dawn, So glad to know you have written on this also. It so puzzles me as to the condition to which we've allowed ourselves to sink. Bless you!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Deborah, Thank you so much for reading and commenting. It's a shame we are not more aware of what we are doing. Blessings to you!


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Sheila, That is so true. Thank you and bless you!


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Susan, for taking time to read and comment. Your thoughts are always appreciated. Bless you!