Monday, April 4

Companion of the Garden


In ancient times, when a Persian king wanted to bestow a special honor on one of his citizens, he granted that person the status of being a companion in his garden, which gave the person the privilege of walking in the garden as a special friend of the king.

In the beginning, God granted man the privilege of being His companion and walking with Him in His indescribably, beautiful paradise garden, which He created for man’s first home. It contained no thorny bushes, no stones of obstruction, no offensive weeds, and no broken stumps. All was perfect for man’s delight...to walk in the garden with his Maker.

When sin entered the garden and broke this companionship, it was necessary to bring man back into fellowship with his Maker. Through the salvation Jesus offered on the cross, man was brought back into perfect union with the Lord.

This is now heaven’s delight. How sweet is that companionship that we can enjoy, walking in an atmosphere of fellowship with our Beloved that can be compared to a garden?

Solomon wrote so intimately about his loving relationship with the Shulamite in the Song of Solomon, which not only represents a husband and wife but also represents the church as the bride and the Lord as our Bridegroom.

The Lord says of us as Solomon said of his precious bride, “You are like a private garden, my treasure, my bride! You are like a spring that no one else can drink from, a fountain of my own.” (SOS 4:12 NLT)

The Shulamite said, “I am my beloved’s (garden) and my beloved is mine!” (SOS 6:3a Amp) She told her beloved, “You are a fountain (springing up) in a garden, a well of living waters, and flowing streams...(You have called me a garden, she said)...blow upon my garden, that its spices may flow out (in abundance for you in whom my soul delights). Let my beloved come into his garden and eat its chicest fruits.” (SOS 4:15-16 Amp)

Songs of the garden have always been in man’s heart. Charles Austin Miles penned a song in 1913 when he wrote the words and music to the beautiful hymn In the Garden. His inspiration for the hymn came after reading the biblical account of Mary Magdalene and the others visiting the tomb of Jesus. He wrote these tender words...

“I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear, falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses

And He walks with me
And He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known.”

I wonder...am I that resplendent garden that my Beloved loves to visit? Am I a lovely, fragrant field, full of sweet-scented blossoms, or am I a patch full of stink-weed?

When I visit my Beloved for companionship in His garden of Easter gladness, my soul thrills in His presence. He walks with me. And He talks with me. And He tells me I am His own. “And the joy we share as we tarry there, None other has ever known.”

May you walk in precious companionship with your Beloved Lord in a special way this Easter season.



Share/Save/Bookmark
20 Responses
  1. Jackie Says:

    Lynn, When I read the words that you write it is like softly floating on the waves of the ocean...there is such rhythum, spirit and romance in your writing~
    Thank you for sharing such a lovely post!


  2. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Jackie, I am in tears. I have been a little discouraged lately and you have truly blessed me. Thank you so much. Blessings to you!


  3. Dawn Wilson Says:

    What a lovely post. It has everything ... history, scriptural relevance, motivational encouragement, and your heart is all over it. Thanks, Lynn. I don't tell you enough how much I appreciate your depth ... but I always read your posts and appreciate them. Keep on writing, Sister-Girlfriend. If no one ever saw what you wrote, God does ... your "audience of One" who cares deeply how you express your soul.


  4. Anonymous Says:

    i like that i can pretend to waltz to this song.
    plus...really good post, woman.


  5. It has always intrigued me that God and man walked in the garden... great post Lynn, thanks for sharing your words with us!


  6. Your words sparked memories of visions when He held me, talked with me and led me. There is no joy on earth to compare. I can't wait to see His heavenly garden!


  7. Anonymous Says:

    Your post was like walking through a garden, filled with fragrant blossoms, trees hung thick with fruit, paths beckoning me to wander and wonder at God's resplendent beauty, a deep breath of Love as God intended, companionship unhindered by sin. Beautiful, Lynn! Thank you for a delightful read and such a precious reminder. Blessings to you!


  8. lynnmosher Says:

    Dawn, I am so honored you dropped by and commented. Your generous words have touched me deeply. Thank you so much for your encouragement. Blessings to you!


  9. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Nance Marie! I love that! Thanks so much for your comment! Makes my heart happy! Bless you!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, sweet Marja! I know! Isn't that an amazing thought? Thanks so much, my friend! Love you!


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, Cecilia! How awesome! Makes me sigh! Thank you! Blessings to you!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Cindee, your precious words are always so lovely, no, beautiful! I wish I could write like you! Thank you so much. Blessings!


  13. Unknown Says:

    This is so beautiful Lynn! I have tears pouring down my face! Thank you for helping me get my soul prepared for this Easter season!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Alisa, you have such a precious heart! Thank you so much for visiting and for your sweet words. You bless me! Blessings to you!


  15. UKViewer Says:

    Lynn,

    I haven't posted a reply for a while, but have been quietly following and enjoying.

    This has just reminded me of the beauty of your writing, and drawing me again to the beauty of a loving relationship with God.

    Thank You


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    UK, I'm sitting shaking my head at your generosity of words. You have truly touched my heart. Thank you so much for being a reader. I deeply appreciate it. Blessings to you!


  17. I like your use of history and OT biblical story to illustrate and illuminate the great relationship with share with the "Keeper of the Garden."


  18. Anonymous Says:

    There are so many ways I think of my relationship with God, as a servant, as a child. It has only been recently that I have started to understand Song of Solomon and that aspect of our relationship. You added to that understanding beautifully!


  19. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Warren, taking time to read and comment. Makes my heart happy! Bless you!


  20. lynnmosher Says:

    BCM, I've been doing this for some time also. Such a precious relationship we have with the Lord. Thanks so much, sweetie, for dropping by. I'm honored you stopped by. Blessings to you!