Thursday, April 21

Woman, Why Do You Weep?


In the chilly dampness of the early morning hours, the woman gropes her way through the dark city streets of Jerusalem. Carrying only a small oil lamp to light her way, Mary Magdalene is joined by Joanna, Salome, and Mary, the mother of James. Leaving the city, they wend their way to the dew-moistened garden where Jesus had been buried.

Dressed in their mourning apparel and blurry-eyed from their tears of grief, they enter the garden of the tomb, carrying the spices to anoint Jesus’ body.

The first glints of sunlight peek over the horizon as they approach the tomb. The ground shakes violently as an angel appears and rolls back the large stone covering the tomb’s entrance. The angel says, “Do not be afraid; Jesus is not here. He is risen! Go and tell the others.”

Terrified, Mary Magdalene rushes to get Peter and John and returns with them to the tomb. With their hearts pounding in fear and lungs struggling for air, the men enter the tomb and frantically survey the surroundings until their eyes rest on the stone slab, where only the death cloths lay.

Seeing that the body of Jesus is not there, the disciples rush back to tell the others.

While the other women wait outside the tomb, Mary Magdalene stoops down to look inside. With tears streaming down her cheeks, she turns to leave and encounters a man, who asks, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?”

Assuming him to be the gardener, “‘Sir,’ she asks, ‘if you have taken Him away, tell me where you have put Him, and I will go and get Him.’” (John 20:15 NLT)

“Mary,” He whispers compassionately.

Recognizing a familiar voice, she gasps, “Rabboni!” and falls at His feet in worship.

I have been a Mary Magdalene. . .a follower of the Lord yet not being able to find Him. I wandered around for relentless hours, with stinging tears spilling down my cheeks, weeping in pain, sorrow, and loss. I searched the tomb of the world and found it emptied of dreams, hopes, and purposes.

My restoration came when I realized my Saviour had stood beside me all along, compassionately whispering my name. When I heard His loving voice, I fell at His feet in worship.

Have you ever been a Mary Magdalene? Do you weep over loss of dreams, hopes, or purposes? Pain, sorrow, or circumstance? Do you stand at the tomb, wearing the grave clothes of mourning, wondering where Jesus is?


Just as Mary Magdalene met Christ in an unexpected way, so your Easter experience comes to you in your hour of despair. Jesus will be there beside you to comfort you, compassionately whispering your name and asking, “Why do you weep? Whom do you seek?”

Jesus always brings you hope of resurrection as on that first Easter morn. He comes to lift you up, to wipe away your tears, to release you from your pain, to remove your grave clothes of fear and depression.

Jesus says to you, “Do not wear the grave-clothes stained with the tears of grief. Come into My garden of beauty and I will give you the robe of Easter’s resurrection gladness. Take My Hand and let Me lead you along the path to life everlasting. I gave My life that you might live eternally with Me.”

He says, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?” (John 11:25-26 NKJV)

Do you believe this? Then, weep no more! Fall at His feet and worship Him!

May you know the power of Christ’s Resurrection Life in a deeper way this Easter season.

This is an inspirational video of celebration. I hope you’ll watch it.





Today’s post is part of the Christian Writers Blog Chain on the topic of redemption/resurrection. Check out and enjoy the other contributors’ posts in the left sidebar.

Share/Save/Bookmark
58 Responses
  1. Jackie Says:

    This is a a very beautiful post and yes I do weep, I weep tears hoping that someone in my family will find our Savior. This is so hard for me to write, but, I need to let it go and let God. I'm so tired of being the butt of this person's anger.
    Thank you


  2. Terra Says:

    Lynn, your words are very beautiful.


  3. Good thoughts Lynn, sometimes we cannot see the beauty of the garden because of tears... how dear is Jesus to stretch out His hand and lift our head!


  4. E. G. Lewis Says:

    A lovely post as usual, Lynn. It's especially fitting for Good Friday.
    Peace and Easter Blessings


  5. I too have been a Mary. Beautiful job, Lynn!


  6. Wow, Lynn, that was inspiring and moving. Thank you <3


  7. TraciB Says:

    Beautiful post, Lynn. I can so identify with it, but I'll let y'all read all about it in my post tomorrow.

    And that video is fantastic! If anyone wants to show it in their church service tomorrow, you can download it for free from Lifeway.com so you won't need an Internet connection to play it.


  8. Wow, those words really got to me...Do you weep over loss of dreams, hopes, or purposes? Pain, sorrow, or circumstance?

    This has been a rough year for me financially and come Tuesday I have to go in for some follow-up medical tests. So this year the Resurrection is especially meaningful to me as I keep focused on God and his word and promises.


  9. Lynn, a beautiful account. Your writing made the story come alive, as if I was reading it for the first time. Wonderful!


  10. lynnmosher Says:

    Jackie, thank you so much for your kind words. I'm so sorry about your situation. Praying for you, sweetie! Please keep me posted. I would love to hear back from you. Easter blessings, dear one.


  11. lynnmosher Says:

    I so appreciate your comment, Terra. Thanks so much for stopping by. Bless you!


  12. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Marja! Beautifully said! Thank you! May you have a very blessed Easter.


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Edward, thank you so much for your kind comment. I appreciate it. May you have a blessed Easter.


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Sheila. I'm happy you stopped by. May the Lord bless you with a special Easter presence.


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, thanks so much, Dana! You make my heart happy! Easter blessings to you!


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks, Traci, for taking time to read and comment. Look forward to reading yours. It is a great video, isn't it?


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    Chris, I'm so sorry for all the negative circumstances in your life. Will be praying for you. Keep me posted. May you have a very blessed Easter!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, wow! Thanks so much, Ceci! You have truly blessed me. May you be blessed with a special touch of the Lord's presence this Easter.


  19. Tracy Krauss Says:

    Thank you for this beautifully reflective post Lynn. I think we have all had our Mary Magdalene shoes on at one time or other. How wonderful that Jesus reaches out to us. The video was very inspiring, too.


  20. Linda Says:

    He's Alive!!!!! Beautiful words, Lynn.


  21. Jackie Says:

    Lynne,
    Thank you for your kind words! Easter Blessings to you and yours also!


  22. Beautiful, Lynn. Just. Beautiful.


  23. How quickly our sorrow turns to joy when we see Jesus! You don't have to have Mary's name to know that. ;)

    ~ VT


  24. lynnmosher Says:

    Amen, Tracy! So true! Glad you watched the video. Thanks so much for stopping by. I deeply appreciate it!


  25. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks, Jackie! Blessings to you, sweetie!


  26. lynnmosher Says:

    Sandra, you so bless me! Thank you so much!


  27. lynnmosher Says:

    Whoops! Linda, I almost missed you. Yes! Praise the Lord He's alive! Thank you so much for commenting. I appreciate it! Blessings!


  28. lynnmosher Says:

    Amen, Victor! Amen! Thank you. I deeply appreciate your visit! Easter blessings!


  29. What a powerful post, gifted writing. May you have a most blessed Resurrection Day, dear friend.


  30. Marie Says:

    Thanks Lynn - we often miss the blessings in something because we are focused on the negative - the tears.

    {{HUGS}}

    @spreadingJOY


  31. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Susan. I'm humbled. May your Easter be very blessed. Love you!


  32. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, Marie! "we often miss the blessings in something because we are focused on the negative - the tears." So true! Thank you so much, sweetie! Easter blessings!


  33. Lynn, what a tender, thoughtful post. As always, your writings bless me so much. You express truth so beautifully.
    A blessed Easter to you as we celebrate our risen Lord Jesus.


  34. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, my! I'm humbled, Lynn. Such an encouragement and blessing! Thank you so much! You make my heart happy. Easter blessings to you!


  35. Fliterary Says:

    Beautiful post, Lynn. And oh how I love the video!

    Easter Blessings to you, sweet lady! Dancing in joy as we celebrate our risen Savior!


  36. lynnmosher Says:

    Lisa, I am so honored to have you visit. Thank you so much for your comment. And Easter blessings to you!


  37. scarroll452 Says:

    Loved the article and the video. So many of the people participating looked like they really believed in what they were doing, gave me chills.


  38. lynnmosher Says:

    Wasn't that great, Sheila? And I love that the oldies were in there dancing away. Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. I'm honored. Easter blessings to you!


  39. Dawn Wilson Says:

    Amen!
    Lynn, I mentioned your post, "who removed the Nails?" at my post (http://lolwithgod.com/2011/04/24/easter-the-rest-of-the-story-and-then-some/)

    Blessings to you today, Sister-Girlfriend!


  40. lynnmosher Says:

    Yay! I saw it, Dawn! Thank you so much. I am truly honored. In fact, I passed on the link on Twitter. Will do the same on Facebook. Easter blessings to you, sweetie!


  41. chris vonada Says:

    Lynn,

    I really enjoyed this, and yes, Easter seems to mean more and more every year!!

    Thanks!!


  42. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Chris! And I totally agree...it means more every year! Resurrection blessings to you!


  43. Chris Perdue Says:

    I, too, have had those moments when I wept, looking for Jesus. Thank God He never leaves us nor forsakes us, even when we mess up our lives. When the time is right, He will reveal Himself once again.


  44. lynnmosher Says:

    So true, Chris! Thanks so much for commenting. I appreciate it. Easter blessings to you!


  45. Scott Fields Says:

    When Jesus said, "Blessed are those who mourn," he was (in a way) blessing those who let it get to them. Who haven't hardened themselves to the point where nothing can sink in any more. Who are still touchable and maleable, who can still feel something for people other than themselves.

    That's the lesson we always need to remember . . . and that's the reminder you've given us with this. Thanks so much!


  46. lynnmosher Says:

    Scott, thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. I so appreciate it. Easter blessings to you!


  47. Lynn - what a beautiful and tender rendition of that special resurrection day! It's almost like being there... watching the story unfold before your eyes! Such detail and emotion! Thanks for a moving and meaningful Easter post. Blessings,


  48. I've added the subscribe by e-mail button on my blog Lynn, finally! I am glad you reminded me, thanks a million!!
    Blessings


  49. lynnmosher Says:

    Yippee! Thanks, Marja!


  50. Lynn, this is lovely. You made us feel right there with Mary. And then nicely brought it back to us. Thank you.


  51. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, thank you so much for your kind words, Carol! I'm humbled. Bless you!


  52. lynnmosher Says:

    Whoops! Deborah, I missed your comment. Thank you as always for your generous comment. You are always so kind. Bless you!


  53. Anonymous Says:

    AMEN! Lynn, so beautiful and touching and real. Thank you!


  54. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, Cindee! Coming from you, that's a true blessing! :D


  55. I'm a little late in reading this, Lynn, but that didn't diminish it's impact one bit! Thank you for reminding us of the joy found in Christ.


  56. lynnmosher Says:

    No problem, Jan! It's always nice whenever you visit. I'm honored. Thank you so much! :D


  57. I think we can all be Mary at times. Thankyou for the reminder to us to stop looking in the tomb and realies that He is right next to us.
    Thatvideo looked like a huge fun celebration of hope. Quite a witness to that city.


  58. lynnmosher Says:

    I agree, Adam! We are all Mary at one time or another. Hopefully, we don't remain with a tomb mentality. Thanks so much for visiting! I appreciate it! Be blessed!