Monday, September 12

Please Come Home


After the birth of their daughter, a wealthy and powerful king and his wife found out they could have no more children. Always wanting a son as an heir to the kingdom, they adopted a baby boy.

As the son grew, he could not understand his father’s ways and, although his father loved him very much, he struggled to receive that love. He never felt a part of the family.

After many years, the son decided to leave his family. Before he left, the father handed him a note, sealed in an envelope, and told him, “If you ever need anything, open this envelope.”

Missing his son and longing for him to come home, the king sent his emissary to find him.

Living by himself in an old shack for years, the son lay destitute and dying. With no insurance or money, he could not afford a life-saving operation. Though others tried to help him, he always refused.

One day, someone knocked on his door. When he answered it, a deliveryman held out a large package and said, “Your father has finally located you and has sent you this gift.”

“I do not want anything from my father,” and he slammed the door.

The next day, the same thing happened. A knock at the door. The son opened it and the deliveryman said, “I have been sent by your father to give you a gift.”

“I...don’t...want...it!” Slam!

On the third day, when the knock came at his door, the son became furious, but when he flung open the door, he found only a note taped to it. It read, “Sir, I only wish to give you something for which you will be eternally grateful. It will be held for you at our storehouse. Take this receipt, and if you should change your mind, you may pick it up whenever you desire.”

Grabbing the receipt, he slammed the door shut.

A few months later, the son died. Those who knew him contacted his family. His sister came to collect his meager belongings. As she went through his things, she found a worn envelope, unopened, and the ticket for the package.

Having no idea what they were, she opened the note and read it, “My dear son, I waited for a son for many years. I prayed to have a son just like you, and then I found you. You were so special that I chose you above all the others to be my son and be the heir of my kingdom. If you should ever need help of any kind, do not ever hesitate to ask me. I will do anything for you. All you need to do is ask. Lovingly, your father.”

After wiping away the tears, the sister took the receipt for the package and went to the storehouse to collect it.

When she got back to his shack, she sat down on the dirty floor and began to open the big box. Her eyes widened in disbelief as she removed the packing. Millions of dollars filled the box.

Her thoughts came rushing out like a flood, “The son of a king lived like a beggar! If only he had opened the gift, he could have been rescued from his situation. He could have had his operation. His debts paid. Been reconciled with his family. Had a family of his own. He could have lived like the son of a king.”

Inside the box, the sister found another note, “My son, this is my gift to you. You never asked for anything, yet everything was prepared and waiting your request. Even though we are separated, I love you with an everlasting love. You have been my greatest care, but you did not want my love.

“I am sorry you did not understand my ways. If you had only recognized my hand at work, reaching out to you, you would have been spared. I wished only for your happiness and well being, no matter what happened. I love you, my son. Please come home. My kingdom is yours. Your loving father.”

As tears once again rolled down his sister’s cheeks, she whispered, “If only he had known the heart of the father, the kingdom would have been his.”

“It is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.” (Luke 12:32b NKJV)

Have you opened the gift of the Father and received the wealth of His kingdom?

If you’ve wandered far from Home, hear what the Father says...

“I love you, My child. Please come home. My kingdom is yours. Your loving Father.”



This is part of Christian Writers blog chain on the topic "coming home." Please check out the other great posts in the list in the right sidebar.

Also hooking up with...

A Pause on the Path




Finding Heaven



Share/Save/Bookmark
58 Responses
  1. Shanda Says:

    This was a beautiful story and really hits home. It is so sad that the Father waits so lovingly and patiently for some who will never come home. I guess it gives us a greater sense of urgency to share Christ with others.


  2. Oh, Lynn! You need to publish a collection of the beautiful stories! What a perfect picture of the love of our Heavenly Father and what an absolutely lovely way to tell it!


  3. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Shanda! You're so right; it is very sad that the Father waits for those who never find their way Home. Yes, sharing is then essential! Bless you!


  4. lynnmosher Says:

    Aw, thank you so much, sweet Cindee! Such a dear comment. You make my heart happy! Bless you!


  5. I felt like I was reading a tale from an old storybook and I could see the illustrations in my mind. This is beautiful; tells the story of our Father's love in a way that touches the heart.


  6. All I can say is ... WOW! (I wish I knew how to make the font bigger.) The message is crystal clear; "He who has ears, let him hear." The story is so rich in concepts, it's not possible to cover them all!

    Bitterness causes lots of the King's sons and daughters to miss out on His riches. I'm sure glad I'm not one of them!

    ~ VT


  7. Scott Fields Says:

    You tell a story just as well as my third-grade teacher, who remains one of the finest storytellers I've ever known. I love your take on the theme--a coming-home story about someone who DIDN'T come home. The prodigal son who never returned. What a shame and a loss.

    Beautiful stuff as always, Lynn.


  8. Joan Hall Says:

    This is a beautiful story, Lynn. The Father is patient, not wishing that anyone should perish. The inheritance is there - just waiting for those who will accept.

    You are a very gifted writer.

    Blessings,
    Joan


  9. Wow, Lynn. This is a wonderfully told story of our Father's love and our devestating human nature. Thank you for it.


  10. Great story! I can see a group of children sitting at your feet wrapped up in this story as you read it.


  11. Heidi Says:

    Loved this story! Thanks for sharing :)


  12. MGalloway Says:

    Nice! Good take on this month's topic...and as sad as it is, it's true that there are some prodigals that never make it home. But hopefully reading about others in a similar situation wakes some of them up.


  13. lynnmosher Says:

    Anna, thank you so much for stopping by and leaving such a great comment. I so appreciate it. Blessings to you!


  14. lynnmosher Says:

    Hey, VT! Thank you so much for your kind and generous comment. You make my heart happy!

    I'm sorry about the font size. It's the normal size. However, I have been wondering if I could make it a little larger. You can go to View and zoom in. Didn't know if you knew that or not.

    Thanks again! Bless you!


  15. lynnmosher Says:

    Scott, you're always so generous with your comments. I am overwhelmed with this one. Thank you from the bottom of this ol' heart! And you're right...it is a shame and a loss. Blessings to you!


  16. lynnmosher Says:

    Joan, I so appreciate your visit and your wonderful comment. Thank you so much! You bless me! Blessings to you!


  17. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you, sweet Carol! You put a smile on my face and in my heart! Bless you!


  18. lynnmosher Says:

    Wow, Chris! What an awesome thought! Thank you for that image! Bless you!


  19. lynnmosher Says:

    Thank you so much, Heidi, for visiting and commenting. I deeply appreciate your kind words! Blessings to you!


  20. lynnmosher Says:

    Mike, it is very sad that some will never find their way Home. Thanks so much for your comment. I appreciate it! Bless you!


  21. TraciB Says:

    Beautiful parable, Lynn! I pray it brings some of God's wandering children home today. :)


  22. Jack Brown Says:

    a beautiful parable.
    thank you
    Biiiig hug
    JayBee


  23. Beautiful story, Lynn. So sad that so many are like this and refuse to come home. Thanks for sharing.


  24. Unknown Says:

    What a beautiful, yet heart-wrenching story. May we pray for soft hearts, for a boldness to carry out the Good News, may we receive His gifts with open hands.


  25. E. G. Lewis Says:

    Wonderful parable. Great post as always, Lynn.
    Peace and Blessings


  26. Carrie Says:

    I'm so glad I visited today from On Your Heart Tuesdays! I have such a heart for prodigals as I pray for my own prodigal husband to return. Tears were falling as I read this post. What a talent and heart for the Lord!


  27. Saleslady371 Says:

    Your post touched my heart today, Lynn.


  28. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks so much, Traci, for your comment. And I stand in agreement with your prayer. Bless you!


  29. lynnmosher Says:

    Thanks, sweet JB! You make my heart happy. And big hugs back! Bless you!


  30. lynnmosher Says:

    I so appreciate your comment, Sheila! Thank you! It is heartbreaking, isn't it? Blessings to you!


  31. lynnmosher Says:

    Amen, Jen! Soft hearts and boldness. Seems a dichotomy, doesn't it? But so necessary. Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I deeply appreciate it. Bless you!


  32. lynnmosher Says:

    Edward, I so appreciate your comment. Thank you! Bless you!


  33. lynnmosher Says:

    Pain to Perfect, may the Lord bless you for your heart for prodigals. Thank you so much for visiting. Praying for your husband. Bless you, dear one!


  34. lynnmosher Says:

    Saleslady, it so blesses me that this touched you today. Thank you! Blessings to you!


  35. Tracy Krauss Says:

    A touching story that perfectly shows God's love ... thanks Lynn


  36. How sweet and amazing it is to remember that God adopted me.

    Fondly,
    Glenda


  37. Beautiful story Lynn, very well told. Isn't it said that millions of people live that way?


  38. Dave Pardoe Says:

    This was a great story about someone who had the gift but never used it. How many in the world have gifts they never use that could change their life? Makes you think. Keep up with the great blog.


  39. P. Creeden Says:

    A heart breaking story and necessary...Thank You lynn!


  40. Touching story, beautiful


  41. Mystic_Mom Says:

    Lynn - powerful story and what a wonderful message of hope. All we hae to do is accept the gift. That's it.


  42. Unknown Says:

    Lynn, I enjoyed your story. I am posting a teaser of it on my blog this weekend. I've linked back to your blog and mentioned your book.
    Thank you for sharing.


  43. chrisvonada Says:

    Lynn, this is truly a masterpiece that you've written! I.Love.It !!


  44. lynnmosher Says:
    This comment has been removed by the author.

  45. lynnmosher Says:

    Tracy, I so appreciate that. Makes my heart happy! Bless you!


  46. lynnmosher Says:

    Glenda, I honored to have you visit. Thank you so much for commenting. Blessings to you!


  47. lynnmosher Says:

    It definitely is sad, Marja. Always love seeing you, sweet friend! Bless you!


  48. lynnmosher Says:

    Amen, Dave! Oh, if we would live according to what God has already gifted us with. How much more could we do? Thank you! Blessings!


  49. lynnmosher Says:

    Pauline, I'm so happy to have you visit. Thank you for commenting. Blessings to you!


  50. lynnmosher Says:

    Kim, thank you so much! Bless you, sweetie!


  51. lynnmosher Says:

    Mystic, you're so right! Just accept the gift and be blessed! Thanks, sweetie! Bless you!


  52. lynnmosher Says:

    Oh, my! Mukkove, thank you so very much! I deeply appreciate your sharing my link and mentioning my book. Bless you!


  53. lynnmosher Says:

    Wow! I'm humbled, Chris! Thank you so much for your kind words. Bless you!


  54. Beautiful. Well written. Wowsers!



  55. lynnmosher Says:

    Lorna, sorry I didn't get to your comment sooner. Thank you so much, sweetie. I so appreciate your visit and comment. Bless you!


  56. Unknown Says:

    That rolled out like a tale from Aesop or Hans Christian Andersen.

    You have a gift, no doubts there. And your story really hits home. How many of us, saved and forgiven, decide to become entangled in the cares of this world, living like paupers when we have all of God's riches for the asking.

    He is waiting to run to us and hold us in His arms, if we'd just turn around and take a step toward Him.

    This I am sure is why Pride is at the Top of God's list of things He hates - it keeps so many of us from coming to Him, our loving Father, to be healed and cared for.

    Thanks, Lynn, for this poignant reminder.


  57. lynnmosher Says:

    Wow! Thanks so much, Chris! I'm humbled. I deeply appreciate your generous and kind words. You are so right...if we would drop our pride and run into His arms, we would find it all. Bless you!